Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Pavel Buchnevich signs extension with the Blues (6 years, $8M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, we needed more assets. Trading the likes of Kasper at the deadline arent going to give us first rounders.

Forwards, absolutely.

The prospect pool at D is absolutely in the abyss.

Should have dealt him for a high end D prospect.

Lindstein and Juricek will be studs and the Blues just drafted 3 oak trees.

Reactions: Blueston

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
That is a lot of money for a lot of years for a player of this age.

Is he worth it right now? Yeah, perhaps. Will he be worth it at 36 years of age? Wouldn't bet on it. Are Blues competing right now? No.

I don't get it.

The Blues just barely missed the playoffs. Six years is a ridiculous span of time in the NHL. Most teams don't bottom out for nearly that long. The ones who have picked super high and missed the playoffs over and over are exceptional management disasters.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
People were bitching about the Slafkovsky contract and then praising this one. I love Buch, I think he's a far better player than his stats show and he does things that aren't reflected in his numbers. This contract looks bad but it's fair value assuming he plays the same way.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
People were bitching about the Slafkovsky contract and then praising this one. I love Buch, I think he's a far better player than his stats show and he does things that aren't reflected in his numbers. This contract looks bad but it's fair value assuming he plays the same way.

Were the same people bitching about the Slafkovsky contract and praising this one?

Reactions: Blueston

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Buchnevich is a really good all around player. Robert Thomas gives up 4.2 GA/60 at even strength without him. He gives up 3.1 GA/60 with him over the last 2 years. They desperately need Buchnevich to prevent Thomas from being the worst defensive C in the league.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Buchnevich is a really good all around player. Robert Thomas gives up 4.2 GA/60 at even strength without him. He gives up 3.1 GA/60 with him over the last 2 years. They desperately need Buchnevich to prevent Thomas from being the worst defensive C in the league.
Someone who's actually watched Blues games here, just letting you know that Thomas is actually pretty solid defensively.

Mar 6, 2012
If Buchnevich were on a high profile team that gets a lot of media attention he would be considered a big time star player.

Most of the time when I see these contracts I cringe, but I honestly think this is a very fair contract for him based on the current market. He's 100% worth 8x6.

THAT SAID... I'm not sure if this makes sense for the Blues right now... feels like they are settling into picking in the 8-12 range in the draft for next few years and I'm not sure what that's really going to accomplish long term.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Sure, Jan.

Oof. What a terrible post. He gave up over 4 goals per 60 at even strength away from Buchnevich over the last 2 years. That's painfully bad. Even with him it was just over 3 goals per 60 against at even strength.

Buchnevich is very underrated. Thomas is basically the C version of Laine.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oof. What a terrible post. He gave up over 4 goals per 60 at even strength away from Buchnevich over the last 2 years. That's painfully bad. Even with him it was just over 3 goals per 60 against at even strength.

Buchnevich is very underrated. Thomas is basically the C version of Laine.
Where are you even pulling these stats, those aren't the numbers when you filter for 5v5 or even strength. Why don't you look at the same numbers for last season? Because those don't fit your narrative. Thomas and Buchnevich for the past few seasons have been our only top 6 forwards with quality defensive games. Besides them you either have Kyrou who is a work in progress defensively, Neighbours who last season is starting to get top 6 level, or a bunch of 3rd line guys.

The more you post, the more it's obvious you don't even watch any Blues games. If you seriously think Thomas and Laine are comparable defensively. Every Blues thread you make into some weird Thomas obsession. Does it come from those Blues/Tkachuk threads from years ago?

Reactions: Memento

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Where are you even pulling these stats, those aren't the numbers when you filter for 5v5 or even strength. Why don't you look at the same numbers for last season? Because those don't fit your narrative. Thomas and Buchnevich for the past few seasons have been our only top 6 forwards with quality defensive games. Besides them you either have Kyrou who is a work in progress defensively, Neighbours who last season is starting to get top 6 level, or a bunch of 3rd line guys.

The more you post, the more it's obvious you don't even watch any Blues games. If you seriously think Thomas and Laine are comparable defensively. Every Blues thread you make into some weird Thomas obsession. Does it come from those Blues/Tkachuk threads from years ago?
I seriously think Robert Thomas is the worst defensive center in the NHL. The numbers bear that out. He gave up 4.2 goals against per 60 at even strength in 22-23. This season was 3.1 goals against per 60. The numbers are almost identical between the 2 seasons when you isolate his ES minutes away from Buchnevich. He just played more with Buchnevich this year.

Again, Robert Thomas is as overrated as Laine.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I seriously think Robert Thomas is the worst defensive center in the NHL. The numbers bear that out. He gave up 4.2 goals against per 60 at even strength in 22-23. This season was 3.1 goals against per 60. The numbers are almost identical between the 2 seasons when you isolate his ES minutes away from Buchnevich. He just played more with Buchnevich this year.

Again, Robert Thomas is as overrated as Laine.
You think he's worse defensively than Brayden Schenn?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What are the blues doing? They are acting like they want to finish too high for a good pick and too low to be a playoff team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad