Pre-Game Talk: Bring on the canucks! (schedule added post#1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NWShark*

Physicality is perhaps overrated as a practical element to one's game, but is underrated as a way to judge a player's mentality. Not talking about pure hitting (ala Douglas Murray) that can set a tone on a game-by-game basis, but your general Cal Clutterbuck-style hitting.

There is a definite stigma attached to players (especially those with size) who don't play physically.

Think about back in the day, players who didn't block shots. It hurt to block a shot, and really, it was a marginal team gain for a big personal sacrifice...the individual takes the pain and risk of an injury in exchange for stopping a mini-scoring chance.

Physicality is the same. Hitting a guy may slightly help in getting the puck from him, but it seriously wears down on the body. Over a career, its going to cost a player billable years. There is always going to be the notion that players who don't want to engage physically are putting the name on the back ahead of the logo on the front.

Except that it's almost a certainty every year that the team that is most physical wins the cup. Maybe not the early rounds but in the later rounds the teams that still bring the hammer in rounds 3 and 4 typically win. Hitting almost always wears the other team out first.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Wish there was a way the Sharks could have blocked that Roy trade. Without him I think the Sharks win no problem. With him he resolves a lot of problems down the middle for them and makes me worry about the series.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Wish there was a way the Sharks could have blocked that Roy trade. Without him I think the Sharks win no problem. With him he resolves a lot of problems down the middle for them and makes me worry about the series.

Even if the Sharks iced their best lineup, which they wont, they are not heads or tails better than any team in the playoffs. The Sharks should in fact worry because they are going to have to play a well executed game to get out of the first round.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
So is Game 1 tomorrow just on the old Versus channel (220 for DirecTV)? It starts @7pm but that channel game has game at 7:30p. WTF!

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
NHLNETPREDS.jpg

NHLWRIPREDS.jpg

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I always get confused by betting lines on sports betting sites. What do these odds mean?

Does it mean that for every 7 I bet on the Hawks I get back 11? What does Ducks 7 mean vs 9 for the Blues?

Chicago Blackhawks 7/4

Vancouver Canucks 27/4

Anaheim Ducks 7

Los Angeles Kings 15/2

St Louis Blues 9

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I always get confused by betting lines on sports betting sites. What do these odds mean?

Does it mean that for every 7 I bet on the Hawks I get back 11? What does Ducks 7 mean vs 9 for the Blues?

Chicago Blackhawks 7/4

Vancouver Canucks 27/4

Anaheim Ducks 7

Los Angeles Kings 15/2

St Louis Blues 9

7/4 means you get 7 dollars for every 4 you bet.

7 means you get 7 dollars for every 1 dollar you bet.

At least I'm pretty sure.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com

Chicago Blackhawks 7/4

Vancouver Canucks 27/4

Anaheim Ducks 7

Los Angeles Kings 15/2

St Louis Blues 9

Hmm, might need a little more context, I assume these are to win the cup? Usually that is the odds to win. So the Hawks are 7 to 4. So if you bet 4, and they won, you would get 7 (minus maybe some amount to the house as a fee). The Ducks are 7 to 1, so if you bet 4 on them, you would win 28 (or if you bet 1, you would win 7). The blue are 9/1, the Kings 15/2, etc. At least, in horse racing that's how it works. Although these numbers don't look like other ones I've seen...

This reminds me to have my roommate who is in Vegas right now place a bet on the Sharks for me :)

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Hmm, might need a little more context, I assume these are to win the cup? Usually that is the odds to win. So the Hawks are 7 to 4. So if you bet 4, and they won, you would get 7 (minus maybe some amount to the house as a fee). The Ducks are 7 to 1, so if you bet 4 on them, you would win 28 (or if you bet 1, you would win 7). The blue are 9/1, the Kings 15/2, etc. At least, in horse racing that's how it works. '

This reminds me to have my roommate who is in Vegas right now place a bet on the Sharks for me :)

These are for the current series matchups.

EDIT: Here is the link to the site odds http://www.oddschecker.com/ice-hockey/nhl

I am just trying to figure out how much of a chance odds makers think those teams have to win.

OldAsianSharksFan

More 1OV picks please
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose

Does it mean that for every 7 I bet on the Hawks I get back 11?

Chicago Blackhawks 7/4

Vancouver Canucks 27/4

Anaheim Ducks 7

Los Angeles Kings 15/2

St Louis Blues 9

No, it means that you win 7/4 times what you bet. For example, if you bet $4 on the Hawks, you win $7 AND your original $4 back, for a total of $11.

Those look like the odds for the winner of the Western Conference, not the Stanley Cup.

Personally, I don't like it when the odds are in reduced fractions like that. I prefer the base 100 system. In the BlackHawks case, where the odds are 7/4, the line would be +175.

Edit: Here read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_betting#Odds

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
No, it means that you win 7/4 times what you bet. For example, if you bet $4 on the Hawks, you win $7 AND your original $4 back, for a total of $11.

Those look like the odds for the winner of the Western Conference, not the Stanley Cup.

Personally, I don't like it when the odds are in reduced fractions like that. I prefer the base 100 system. In the BlackHawks case, where the odds are 7/4, the line would be +175.

Edit: Here read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_betting#Odds

So, the Sharks are toast eh?

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
According to 5dimes, the payout for the Sharks winning the West is +950. That means the odds are 950/100, or 19/2.

Sounds about right, I guess. I figured they'd have about a 10% chance of winning the West right now.

But we believe!:yo:

As long as someone takes out Chicago for us. :sarcasm:

sharkie88

Dec 30, 2006
Can someone photoshop a picture of Kesler and Roy as "Sigfried and Roy"? It's all the Canucks fans seem to talk about on the main board so the least we can do is mock them.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I'll be hilariously ecstatic if Minnesota beats them, but I've got low expectations.

Well if nothing else, I hope DET at least takes out Anaheim so if the Sharks advance they can at least prolong facing them until the conference finals when they will have less tread left on the tires.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
settle an argument

who would you guys say was the Sharks MVP this season?

Niemi and he should be top 5 for Hart voting too. Hell, the candidates could be Nabby, Niemi, Bob and I wouldn't complain. But yeah, Niemi has been absolutely amazing and made a believer out of me, to say the least.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Nucks fans think the Sharks are slow and they will outskate us... Also, Burns is not fast apparently.

Sorry guys, might as well pack it in.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal

Chicago Blackhawks 7/4

Vancouver Canucks 27/4

Anaheim Ducks 7

Los Angeles Kings 15/2

St Louis Blues 9

Think of it like 1 to 1, 2 to 1 etc. 7/4 would be 1-3/4 to 1

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think its pretty safe to say that the goalies are a wash.

So, do you guys really think that the SJ defense will shut down Sedin Sedin Kesler Roy Burrows Hansen Higgins MORE than Vans D will contain the SJ big guns?

I think that the SJ defense will be their Achilles heal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad