Movies: Horror Movie Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
1-1200x802.jpg

Cult of Chucky (2017) - 5/10

Kill doll Chucky invades a mental institution to finish off an old adversary.

Fiona Dourif returns as Nica, who following the traumatic events of the previous film is now a patient at a mental institution. As she tries to regain control of her sanity, the institution is shipped a Good Guys doll, which Nica is convinced is Chucky (Brad Dourif). Her doctor, Dr. Foley (Michael Therriault) thinks keeping the doll around will be good for her treatment, but Nica sets out to prove the doll is Chucky. Elsewhere, Andy Barclay (Alex Vincent), the childhood survivor of Chucky's initial reign of terror, sets out to free Nica. He knows she's innocent and can prove it, as he has possession of Chucky's severed - but living - head...

Cult of Chucky was once again written and directed by Don Mancini. The follow-up to Curse of Chucky (2013), Cult of Chucky brings to life some concepts and ideas Mancini originally had for Chucky 3 (1991), but was unable to do at the time due to that film's tight development schedule. How does Cult of Chucky fare?

It's a mixed bag...which irritates me more than it should because the first half of this movie is legitimately good. Setting a horror movie in a mental institution is far from an original concept, but it fits like a glove for a series about a killer doll. I think it would be the most realistic outcome if the average schmoe survived an encounter with Chucky and then had to explain the pile of dead bodies in their vicinity.

I think Cult of Chucky uses the setting well. The film throws some curveballs the audience's way, at times taking things a more psychological route and even introducing mystery elements at one point in the movie. Unfortunately, towards the middle of the film, things start to run out of steam. The main events start coming to a crawl, instead replaced by a new subplot or two that do not further the story...or accomplish anything at all really, aside from padding the run time. And frankly, this movie has a massive flaw: the film would be over if anyone checked the security cameras. There is a throwaway line towards the end that implies there aren't any security cameras, but that makes absolutely zero sense.

You can probably tell from the synopsis, but Cult of Chucky has "A" (Nica) and "B" (Andy) plots. The Nica plot gets the overwhelming majority of the screen time, which makes the Andy plot feel tacked on. The two storylines inevitably intersect, but meshing the two together doesn't accomplish a whole heck of a lot. I've used this analogy before, but this film is this meme. The end of this movie is an unsatisfying mess, and is only partially saved by strong gore. I find it a little ironic that Cult of Chucky's concept was originally intended for Child's Play 3 considering the films are inverses of each other in terms of quality (with the latter having a strong ending after an awful start to the movie). It's also worth noting that the film starts off as a straightforward horror piece, but progressively becomes more comedic towards the end of the film. It's like a microcosm of the series.

Seeing how crappy the end of this movie is, I'm going to complain about the lighting again. It insists upon itself. The nighttime/dark scenes look amazing, but the daylight scenes look amateurish, which is counterintuitive. There's one scene in particular where two people are driving (separate cars) and talking to each other on the phone which looks like Youtube video quality. Also, being vague, there's one major acting performance which is pretty rough. To be fair to the performer, they don't get many scenes with actual people (i.e. talking on a phone, or to Chucky). But nevertheless, it's a distractingly wooden performance.

Overall, Cult of Chucky is one of the weaker entries in the Child's Play series. It's the Lost (2004-2010) of Chucky movies: it starts out well and generates intrigue, only to do nothing interesting with its concept. Word to the wise: Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky both have post credit scenes, and both are cut out by Netflix. If you don't watch the Curse of Chucky scene on Youtube, you'll have no clue what's going on at the start of this film. Cult of Chucky, the final film in the main Child's Play continuity, was released direct-to-video and earned $2.3M in its first month of sales.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad