Pre-Game Talk: Bring on the canucks! (schedule added post#1)

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Weekes giving Niemi the "unsung" hero. Hradek gives Pavelski the "unsung" nod.

Weekes also said Burns was the X-factor or whatever term they used for that category of who to watch out for.

Whats the difference?

Might be a typo. EJ Hradek said the unsung hero in the west was Voynov. Pavelski was his "going to step it up" pick.
I liked Mike Johnson's response of "Niemi is going to be a Vezina finalist, how unsung is he?"

EDIT: Nevermind. EJ Hradek changed his answer from yesterday. He said Voynov yesterday and Pavelski was his step it up player. He said Pavelski today as his unsung hero.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs made the playoffs but I'm still pumped as ever for this series against the Nucks. I still haven't gotten over 2011, I hope to see the Sharks get some revenge.

As many have said, a concern is whether or not the best possible lineup will be iced. I'll give an optimistic prediction of Sharks in 6.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think if we win Burns will be a huge reason why. Hopefully he doesn't get injured. I think when the experts talk about the Canuck forwards they likely haven't taken Burns seriously as a forward yet.

I don't think the Nucks will have an answer for Burns. Hes our very own Byfulgien

Burns/Torres/Wingels/Terry/Marleau/Desi/Burish are going to beat up the Nucks defense from game 1. That has to be one of the game plans. Especially if they ice Cam Barker and Andrew Alberta.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'm pumped for this series. Hope there is great hockey all around as well as some extracurricular activity. And of course hope sharks win. All 7pm games has me pumped.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
yea, when they vaguely refer to the stat as "hits" its easy to say the count was way off. but they obviously have criteria for what constitutes a hit. although, its all subjective imo, better than nothing, but one of the worst stats kept.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Aren't there a few arenas that give out hits willy nilly? I think maybe the Dallas scorekeeper does it very liberally. It makes it hard to gauge players' physicality levels from teams you don't watch.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Physicality is perhaps overrated as a practical element to one's game, but is underrated as a way to judge a player's mentality. Not talking about pure hitting (ala Douglas Murray) that can set a tone on a game-by-game basis, but your general Cal Clutterbuck-style hitting.

There is a definite stigma attached to players (especially those with size) who don't play physically.

Think about back in the day, players who didn't block shots. It hurt to block a shot, and really, it was a marginal team gain for a big personal sacrifice...the individual takes the pain and risk of an injury in exchange for stopping a mini-scoring chance.

Physicality is the same. Hitting a guy may slightly help in getting the puck from him, but it seriously wears down on the body. Over a career, its going to cost a player billable years. There is always going to be the notion that players who don't want to engage physically are putting the name on the back ahead of the logo on the front.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Aren't there a few arenas that give out hits willy nilly? I think maybe the Dallas scorekeeper does it very liberally. It makes it hard to gauge players' physicality levels from teams you don't watch.

Minnesota...any time a gust of wind from Cal Clutterbuck skating by is felt by a player, he registers a hit. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad