Pre-Game Talk: Bring on the canucks! (schedule added post#1)

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
To be fair, I get that Hannan hasn't been good and he hasn't looked good, but in the playoffs, he might look a little bit better once the referees swallow their whistle and he can clutch and grab for days.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
To be fair, I get that Hannan hasn't been good and he hasn't looked good, but in the playoffs, he might look a little bit better once the referees swallow their whistle and he can clutch and grab for days.

Not a bad point. I actually don't think he's as much of a liability as everyone is making him out to be. I think the bigger issue is pairing him with Stuart.

NWShark*

That is funny.

While the Canucks are a solid team, we are 3-0 against them this year and Schneider played in each game. I am a bit surprised the Sharks don't get more love regarding the match-up.

Lebrun would have picked the sharks too but he's been burned too many times...:cry:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

The ref's havent been calling penalties for months now. I'm pretty sure the league actually told them to just stop because they were making such a mess of it. Better to have no penalties than the idiocy that was going on at the start of the season.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
agreed re:stuart who hasnt been very good this month himself.

i think part of his decline has been this:

vlasic
boyle
demers
tennyson
hannan

no one has changed partners as much as him. no consistency to his linemate and its shown in his gradual descent. he operates best with a more offensively inclined d man (boyle) to where he can operate as a checking stay at home D. in what world does a two man stay at home unit work in todays NHL?

not to mention the fact that you can roll
vlasic-braun
boyle-stuart
irwin-hannan

and at the very LEAST mitigate the damage caused by hannan through irwins offense.

just an opinion though.

NWShark*

agreed re:stuart who hasnt been very good this month himself.

i think part of his decline has been this:

vlasic
boyle
demers
tennyson
hannan

no one has changed partners as much as him. no consistency to his linemate and its shown in his gradual descent. he operates best with a more offensively inclined d man (boyle) to where he can operate as a checking stay at home D. in what world does a two man stay at home unit work in todays NHL?

not to mention the fact that you can roll
vlasic-braun
boyle-stuart
irwin-hannan

and at the very LEAST mitigate the damage caused by hannan through irwins offense.

just an opinion though.

irwin and hannan together? might as well put out a couple of mannequins and put sticks in their hands... no ****in way dude...

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

cvhbYtY.jpg

feCmqx0.jpg

Cl3DcWW.jpg

As we all know, ESPN and Internet fans=always right.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Isn't PDO supposed to regress to the mean in the long-run (1000+ PDO means good luck ie Jordan Eberle, <1000 means bad luck). Doesn't that imply that he's had bad puck luck this season?

To my understanding, with any one team, player or subset of the entire league, nothing guarantees PDO regression. PDO leaguewide is guaranteed to be 1000 but that's it. The only way PDO regression for individuals or individual teams works is that bad PDO reflects badly on the player/team's results, therefore proactive steps are taken to try to improve results. In the case of a player, he can work on areas of his game that are failing. In the case of a team, players that cannot positively contribute are eliminated from the roster.

At least that's my understanding. So it's entirely possible that Hannan simply cannot have a good PDO anymore, is done, and needs to go.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It's really not, they just happened around the same time. Had the Sharks started playing this system and kept Burns at D the scoring woe's would still have stopped.

I don't think that is at all fair. Having Burns play forward bumped everyone down a spot; players now played in their more appropriate roles. Like, for example, it allowed Pavelski to play on the third line.

I simply don't think they had the personnel to play this way at the beginning of the year, especially with the way so many players like Havlat and Galiardi were struggling. Up front, Marleau was the only forward with speed who could do anything. Pavelski goal-scoring dried up. Burns brought speed, size, and shooting ability to that top-line. That had to have taken the pressure off and allowed those players to round back in to form. To my first point, it also let SJ recognize that Galiardi, Gomez, and Sheppard were not top-6-forwards.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I don't think that is at all fair. Having Burns play forward bumped everyone down a spot; players now played in their more appropriate roles. Like, for example, it allowed Pavelski to play on the third line.

I simply don't think they had the personnel to play this way at the beginning of the year, especially with the way so many players like Havlat and Galiardi were struggling. Up front, Marleau was the only forward with speed who could do anything. Pavelski goal-scoring dried up. Burns brought speed, size, and shooting ability to that top-line. That had to have taken the pressure off and allowed those players to round back in to form. To my first point, it also let SJ recognize that Galiardi, Gomez, and Sheppard were not top-6-forwards.

It also bumped all the defensmen up a spot, which is detrimental. I would argue that evens out as it forces guys like Hannan into the lineup.

I admitted, there are multiple factors, but the system was the primary one. If the Sharks continued to play the way they were playing with this lineup they'd still be losing.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
It also bumped all the defensmen up a spot, which is detrimental. I would argue that evens out as it forces guys like Hannan into the lineup.

I admitted, there are multiple factors, but the system was the primary one. If the Sharks continued to play the way they were playing with this lineup they'd still be losing.

You can't play that system successfully without the changes that were made. We'd be out of the PO's if we had.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

When everyone is healthy, I'd argue that Burns at forward is more beneficial right now than at D. Braun and Vlasic have been good against top competition. I have confidence in Demers and Stuart against middling competition. It's just Boyle and Irwin's play that's concerning.

And like LZ said, I don't this system would work as well without Burns up top. Dropping forwards down a line and having a good F1 on each line allows the team to play north-south hockey

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
And like LZ said, I don't this system would work without Burns up top. Dropping forwards down a line and having a good F1 on each line allows the team to play north-south hockey

The overall gain in speed by losing Clowe/Murray and adding Torres shouldn't be forgotten either.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
When everyone is healthy, I'd argue that Burns at forward is more beneficial right now than at D. Braun and Vlasic have been good against top competition. I have confidence in Demers and Stuart against middling competition. It's just Boyle and Irwin's play that's concerning.

And like LZ said, I don't this system would work as well without Burns up top. Dropping forwards down a line and having a good F1 on each line allows the team to play north-south hockey

We are going in circles. Let me put it this way:

If we played this system with Burns at defense we would be more successful than if we played the old system with Burns at forward. Hence the system has more to do with our turn around.

If I'm wrong, we are screwed, because Burn's is an injury magnet and the minute he goes down the team will tank hard.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
You know what, there is an X factor here. That is coaching changes from last time we played the nucks in the playoffs 2 years ago. Coaching on special teams and defense could make a difference in our favor, given players can execute.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Come on, you know what the proper response to that is. Quite simply, the Sharks were better off bumping a D-man up a spot than bumping a forward up a spot. Essentially, Demers/Braun have taken Burns's spot on Vlasic side, and that is a very capable pairing. With Burns on D, Braun/Demers/Irwin are playing less than they are worth. Which is good in that you have a #4 guy playing on the bottom-pairing, but is bad in that you aren't getting maximum return on your asset.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
**** the media. Imagine if the Niners won the SuperBowl. I'm having a hard time. You know why? 'cause no one would talk about it.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I know there's realignment now but can you imagine if the East teams that made it were Buffalo, Winnipeg, NJ, NYI, Carolina, TB, Ottawa, Florida and the West teams that made it were Columbus, Nashville, SJ, Anaheim, St. Louis, Dallas, Phoenix, and Colorado. The television networks and media would cry so much and the tears would be delicious.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I think if we win Burns will be a huge reason why. Hopefully he doesn't get injured. I think when the experts talk about the Canuck forwards they likely haven't taken Burns seriously as a forward yet.

I don't think the Nucks will have an answer for Burns. Hes our very own Byfulgien

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad