Pre-Game Talk: Bring on the canucks! (schedule added post#1)

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If Wilson ices Stuart - Hannan he is absolutely proving he has no idea what he's doing.

If you can't move the puck, you can't win. Simple as that. Tennyson is going to screw up and allow some goals, but he's also going to spend less time in his own zone. You keep the play out of your zone you don't even need to play defense.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Agreed, next year is a different story but Burns at forward is a major reason the scoring woes ended.

It's really not, they just happened around the same time. Had the Sharks started playing this system and kept Burns at D the scoring woe's would still have stopped.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
jacked to see this series.

happy to play the sharks (not because it'll be easy, but because i like the style of the games we play)

Should be some epic duels!
Not going to send good luck your guys' way, but enjoy the series guys! I know we'll hate each other at the end of this, but as it stands right this second, I'm actually a fan of Thornton/Marleau/Boyle...

But I'm suspending that affliction starting...

NOW!

HAVE FUN! :D

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
It's really not, they just happened around the same time. Had the Sharks started playing this system and kept Burns at D the scoring woe's would still have stopped.

Having Pavelski center the third line is another big reason why our scoring has improved, and that probably doesn't happen if Burns stays at D.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
You guys think if we drop the first two that Burns gets moved back? We can put Sheppard in as forward but in this series it may just be more important to have Burns on the back end.

Sheppard can come in at forward with useless Burish out. In fact, that SHOULD happen with Game 1 and ice Desi-Gomez-Sheppard as the 4th line. It won't but it should happen.

As I said in another thread, I think Burns goes into beast mode up front and offensively puts this team on his back.

In fact, I wish the team (McLellan) had the guts to give him PP time at the wing too:

2nd PP unit how I would do it (if you assume McLellan won't change the first unit):

TJ-Gomez-Burns
Irwin-Braun
(And yes, this means no Havlat on PP. I think based on his play most of the season, he does not warrant getting PP time).

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Having Pavelski center the third line is another big reason why our scoring has improved, and that probably doesn't happen if Burns stays at D.

Lots of things contributed, but it's like building a house: Even if you buy only the best materials and hire only the best builders if you started out with a rotten foundation the house will still collapse.

Without the current system, the Sharks would not have made the playoffs, I don't care how they shuffled the deck chairs.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Lots of things contributed, but it's like building a house: Even if you buy only the best materials and hire only the best builders if you started out with a rotten foundation the house will still collapse.

Without the current system, the Sharks would not have made the playoffs, I don't care how they shuffled the deck chairs.

Yeah, but even with the current system, they probably would not have had their success if they weren't able to roll 3 scoring lines. Having Burns as a forward allowed moving Pavelski to the 3C.

It's really a mix of both.
New system + 2 scoring lines = bad.
Old system + 3 scoring lines = bad.

I'd argue Burns has a bigger impact because he allowed them to incorporate their new system. A north-south game wouldn't be possible without a great F1 on each line.

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
Hannan isn't THAT bad but when paired with Stuart its not a good fit!

What I don't get is why make Stuart be the guy forced to play on the right side. Hannan can't move the puck anyway. Might as well stick him on the right side and let him chip it up the boards all game long. That would atleast allow Stuart to be in his element on the left.

(really though they should just ice Stuart/Tennyson)

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
to those laughing at advanced stats. nothing is 100% perfect, but by using those stats and comparing them etc etc. you can at least have an opinion that isnt hyperbole like most around here. id rather have some kind of fact that i can base my opinion around.

and those advanced stats have proven quite a bit in the past.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
to those laughing at advanced stats. nothing is 100% perfect, but by using those stats and comparing them etc etc. you can at least have an opinion that isnt hyperbole like most around here. id rather have some kind of fact that i can base my opinion around.

Not really related since advanced stats can be useful, but didn't advanced stats show that Irwin was actually underperforming (low on-ice shooting percentage, etc) and that he was going to improve? I remember a lot of people arguing for that too. Obviously that didn't happen.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Not really related since advanced stats can be useful, but didn't advanced stats show that Irwin was actually underperforming (low on-ice shooting percentage, etc) and that he was going to improve? I remember a lot of people arguing for that too. Obviously that didn't happen.

honestly dont remember that. if anything he was over performing and regressed. but that was a pure goals/points thing.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Whats fun for me is how well these teams match up if you take the top line out of the equation. Tight checking almost assures this, so the strengths of each team will be revealed. Vancouver can roll three offensive units or convert one to a checking line. Roy has given the Canucks options and I think, an advantage.

all you need to know about the invalidity of this statement is this ...

which one is our top line?

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA

Advanced stats are great and you can get useful information from it, it's the whole basing the opinion of said player entirely around advanced stats that I don't agree with.

It's already easy to get blinded by the regular stats that are tracked, advanced stats only multiplies that issue, in my opinion at least.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
honestly dont remember that. if anything he was over performing and regressed. but that was a pure goals/points thing.

Yeah, that's what other people were arguing too. We were saying it's a small sample size and that by the eye-test, he didn't look like he could sustain it. Then there was the advanced stats group people who said like he's only going to get better, his teammates are shooting at a low percentage as is he, he's only going to rack up more points from here on out, etc.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Hannan isn't THAT bad but when paired with Stuart its not a good fit!

What I don't get is why make Stuart be the guy forced to play on the right side. Hannan can't move the puck anyway. Might as well stick him on the right side and let him chip it up the boards all game long. That would atleast allow Stuart to be in his element on the left.

(really though they should just ice Stuart/Tennyson)

Scott Hannan has the 3rd worst PDO of any defensemen (who has played 20 games this season) in the LEAGUE.

He is ranked 174th our of 210 in the league in Corsi for defensemen who have played 20 games.

He has the 4th worst +- on/60 of any defensemen int he league who has played 20 games.

The guy is absolutely terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad