Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Really hope Joe Whitney is retained, team needed him. Also, I'd like for Dal Colle and Ho-sang have some great centermen to help them out.

If Whitney was healthy, there is a chance he would have got the call in the playoffs instead of Quine. Very established AHL player with a knack for scoring. Will always be trying to overcome the size issue though.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Whitney is a winger but I totally agree. He is skilled and plays hard. Good role model.

Wasn't sure but I thought Quine-Whitney-Kearns was the line but I guess switch Quine and Whitney. Yeah, still need a Whitney type there at least.

Bring back Moulleriat.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Wasn't sure but I thought Quine-Whitney-Kearns was the line but I guess switch Quine and Whitney. Yeah, still need a Whitney type there at least.

Bring back Moulleriat.

They resigned Kearns and Holmstrom, and gave them both raises, so that's a good sign.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Whitney and Cliche are gone. Would have been nice to have some at least one top-tier vet to mentor the kids. Oh well.

Two guys signed-- Josh Winquist and Aaron Berisha. Both are young (22 & 21yo, respectively), both have put up good numbers recently, both have lots of uncertainty.

Collberg is gone, BTW. Signed in Sweden.

Czuczman still unsigned.

http://blog.ctnews.com/fornabaio/2016/07/05/four-signed-fifth-implied-tuesday-notes/

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Really hope the Isles can get some guys signed to some two way deals. I know we are tight on the cap but 2-3 guys will make a big difference. These ECHL tweeners are not cutting it.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I saw that we signed Kellen Jones. Do we still have Connor? They were money at Quinnipiac.

Jones-Jones-St. Denis could be a good line for the Sound Tigers. I don't think they all played together at QU though. Devon Toews will be great down there.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I saw that we signed Kellen Jones. Do we still have Connor? They were money at Quinnipiac.

Jones-Jones-St. Denis could be a good line for the Sound Tigers. I don't think they all played together at QU though. Devon Toews will be great down there.

Connor is expected to sign according to Fornabaio. I haven't seen Kellen but Connor reminds me a bit of Cizikas.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Really hope the Isles can get some guys signed to some two way deals. I know we are tight on the cap but 2-3 guys will make a big difference. These ECHL tweeners are not cutting it.

I would've liked to see NYI spend some money on Bridgeport because that would show that the new owners are letting the cash flow. These moves look to me like we're still on an internal cap. If true, hopefully that just applies to Bridgeport.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
According to Elite Prospects Matt Carkner retired, likely will see him as an Assistant Coach next year

I always liked him, very well spoken & articulate during period intermissions. Hope for the best for him and who knows, maybe he is a good teacher and become a pretty good coach.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I always liked him, very well spoken & articulate during period intermissions. Hope for the best for him and who knows, maybe he is a good teacher and become a pretty good coach.

I could see him teaching and directing players when I saw him play in Bridgeport near Thanksgiving last season. Obvious that was the reason he was there, not to be NHL depth, since he wasn't even close to being the best defender on the team.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Some new rules in the AHL next season. Often, new rules in the AHL are eventually adopted by the NHL.

Two rules are meant to curb fighting:
1) Fighting immediately after a face-off is an automatic game misconduct.
2) After you've fought 10 times in a season you get automatically suspended each time you fight. The suspension increases by one game with each additional fight.

The rule that caught my eye though is that it's now illegal to call a timeout after an icing. So if you ice it when you're tired, the coach can't give you a break. That increases the importance of puck possession.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/ahl-announces-new-rules-fighting-1.3669645

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Some new rules in the AHL next season. Often, new rules in the AHL are eventually adopted by the NHL.

Two rules are meant to curb fighting:
1) Fighting immediately after a face-off is an automatic game misconduct.
2) After you've fought 10 times in a season you get automatically suspended each time you fight. The suspension increases by one game with each additional fight.

The rule that caught my eye though is that it's now illegal to call a timeout after an icing. So if you ice it when you're tired, the coach can't give you a break. That increases the importance of puck possession.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/ahl-announces-new-rules-fighting-1.3669645

All of those rules are ridiculous IMO. Really hope they dont make their way to the NHL.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Fighting in the NHL is D O N E... which of course spells gonzo! The litigations due to concussions will eventually do away with it. No owner will want to be on the hook of a lawsuit

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
This team needs 2 decent veteran forwards. It would've been nice to see James Wright re-signed. I am not sure who is still available, but something needs to be done. You can't put all of this pressure on JHS and MDC. You need a few more vets like Kearns to compliment them in the lineup. Sure it's nice that depth has been brought in like the Jones twins and Winquist, but they are 4th line AHL/ECHL tweeners at best.

Also since Carkner has retired a veteran defenseman is needed to aid a very young D core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad