Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Big fan of Sundstrom, he is another one who has missed so much time this year. Very interesting line combination they seem to compliment each other. Nice thing about Sundstrom is he can be used at any forward position, very versatile, smart.

Sundstrom played a big role for Sweden in his 2nd WJC. He seemed to be the #2C on that team and played a shut down role. He got a lot of ice time and helped Sweden get Gold that year.

If he can be a good bottom-6 player for us, I'd be very happy. He doesn't wow you with his physical tools, but he's very smart - the common theme amongst quite a few Isles prospects. Why is it that the high hockey intelligence players tend to be a 'sum is greater than the parts' more often than the players with dazzling tools and a so-so processor up top? :)

It's been a tough year for Sundstrom, I hope he finishes healthy and comes in raring to go next season. He could surprise and challenge for a spot next year, he is nice to have in case of injuries next season. His versatility is a big plus, but his ability to play center is the biggest plus IMO. This team is being built to be strong up the middle up front, I like it. Centers transition easier to the wing than wingers transitioning to center, makes sense.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I can't see Strome staying down at Bridgeport much longer. After the Olympic break and after the trades, I can see him on the 1st or 2nd line for the rest of the year. Even at 20, and his 1st full year in the AHL, he's dominating that league. Can't help but be excited about him.

Seeing how well Nelson has developed this year with the Isles after having a very good rookie year in the AHL last year has me even more excited thinking about Strome. Nelson clearly improved a hell of a lot through playing an entire season in the AHL, which helped him prepare for an NHL role with the Isles this season. You can't help but be super excited in anticipation for Strome being with the Isles from the start next season when you see what he is doing as a rookie in the AHL. Once Strome adjusts to the speed of the NHL I think he's going to be a fantastic Robin to Tavares. Long term I see a Tavares, Strome & Nelson trio centering our top 3 lines which would show how deep we could potentially be down the road.

The 2nd half of the Islanders season could turn out to be exciting in that players like Lee, Strome, Sundstrom and maybe a defensive prospect like Mayfield will get a few games. You never know, someone like Lee could really hit the ground running and be a great surprise for us.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Sundstrom played a big role for Sweden in his 2nd WJC. He seemed to be the #2C on that team and played a shut down role. He got a lot of ice time and helped Sweden get Gold that year.

If he can be a good bottom-6 player for us, I'd be very happy. He doesn't wow you with his physical tools, but he's very smart - the common theme amongst quite a few Isles prospects. Why is it that the high hockey intelligence players tend to be a 'sum is greater than the parts' more often than the players with dazzling tools and a so-so processor up top? :)

It's been a tough year for Sundstrom, I hope he finishes healthy and comes in raring to go next season. He could surprise and challenge for a spot next year, he is nice to have in case of injuries next season. His versatility is a big plus, but his ability to play center is the biggest plus IMO. This team is being built to be strong up the middle up front, I like it. Centers transition easier to the wing than wingers transitioning to center, makes sense.

Because those that have both are far and few between, and they are called stars named Sid, Evgeny, John, Pavel etc. Love Sundstrom's steady effective game. He is a guy that helps to win championships without fireworks......maybe a modern day Wayne Merrick +.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Febuary 21
Bridgeport 4, Hartford 3-Lee with 2 goalls late in the third (20, 21), other goals Gallant (1), Broda (2).
Nilsson, 30 saves, 33 shots.
Pedan in line up.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lee having a good season...

I wonder if he comes up with Strome after the break?

My money is both of them come up next week to replace Tavares/Nielsen, the question is who will be the third person we call up if we trade Vanek(I wouldn't be surprised if they try Halmo)

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
My money is both of them come up next week to replace Tavares/Nielsen, the question is who will be the third person we call up if we trade Vanek(I wouldn't be surprised if they try Halmo)

My money is on Strome, Lee & Sundstrom.

Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Lee - Nelson - Clutterbuck
Grabner - Cizikas - McDonald
Martin - Sundstrom - Boulton

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
My money is on Strome, Lee & Sundstrom.

Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Lee - Nelson - Clutterbuck
Grabner - Cizikas - McDonald
Martin - Sundstrom - Boulton

I can't see lee getting more time then grabner and I think Nelson plays on the top line...

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Almost did a dumb thing, wanted to go watch Bridgeport tonight since they are playing Adirondack. Game is being played in Philadelphia, so much for that idea.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Lee having a good season...

I wonder if he comes up with Strome after the break?

Love it ! They are doing exactly what I hoped they would do, they are mimicking what Neiderreiter and Nelson did last year. Though Strome isn't on pace to score as many goals as Nelson did, his ppg and assists are at a higher pace. Nino scored 28, Lee is on pace to score at least 28. Love to see the production from those guys, and would love to see the Isles leave Strome and Lee together once called up.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I can't see lee getting more time then grabner and I think Nelson plays on the top line...

My thoughts exactly. I hope Nielsen is able to come back quick, so we can start getting Strome some games at RW. I just don't see any way they keep him at center next year, not with Nelson playing so well up the middle, and with our need for size in that spot. With Tavares-Nelson-Nielsen-Cizikas, my guess is that Strome's future here will be on the wing. Maybe go with these lines once Nielsen returns:

Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Grabner - Nelson - Strome
Lee - Sundstrom - McDonald
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
x - Boulton

I know that the Cizikas line will most likely deserve more time than that Sundstrom line, but with the games meaning very little it might be a better idea to give the young guys more minutes, just to get a better sense of what we'll have for next year.

Aside from that, I'm excited to see what CdH - Hammer do to end the season as the top-pair. Need to start getting Calvin experience playing top minutes, especially if we expect him to do it next year. I have no doubt that he's capable of doing it.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
My thoughts exactly. I hope Nielsen is able to come back quick, so we can start getting Strome some games at RW. I just don't see any way they keep him at center next year, not with Nelson playing so well up the middle, and with our need for size in that spot. With Tavares-Nelson-Nielsen-Cizikas, my guess is that Strome's future here will be on the wing. Maybe go with these lines once Nielsen returns:

Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Grabner - Nelson - Strome
Lee - Sundstrom - McDonald
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
x - Boulton

I know that the Cizikas line will most likely deserve more time than that Sundstrom line, but with the games meaning very little it might be a better idea to give the young guys more minutes, just to get a better sense of what we'll have for next year.

Aside from that, I'm excited to see what CdH - Hammer do to end the season as the top-pair. Need to start getting Calvin experience playing top minutes, especially if we expect him to do it next year. I have no doubt that he's capable of doing it.

Strome is ahead of Nelson in development terms in my opinion, as to production as a pro in their first years which makes me extremely excited to watch Strome next season because I believe he is going to be very impressive. The Isles definitely see Strome as a center long term and seem to be grooming him to be our 2nd line center of the future to hopefully form our version of stud centers on the top 2 lines ala Crosby - Malkin style.

The really interesting thing is, what happens if we draft Reinhart? does Nielsen then become a highly valuable trade piece down the line?

Nelson has been so good in any role he has been thrust into that his versatility is a huge bonus for the Isles long term. The kid has been beasting.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How is Bridgeport looking in the standings? I feel like they have been winning a lot lately...

Whats their playoff chances look like?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Febuary 23
Bridgeport 2, Providence 1
Goals by Lee (22), Broda (3), Halmo, Strome, assist each.
Reiter 40 saves, 41 shots, Bridgeport outshot 41-17.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nice that BPORT is still...If they make the playoffs I believe Strome,Lee,and Halmo can join them even if they finish the year in the NHL....

Mayby even Pulock and Reinhart..

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
It is more than overdue for Snow/Wang to start investing in 2-3 AHL vets a year. A winning culture starts in the AHL and we haven't had a good AHL team for a long long time

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nice that BPORT is still...If they make the playoffs I believe Strome,Lee,and Halmo can join them even if they finish the year in the NHL....

Mayby even Pulock and Reinhart..

I could be wrong but it's Bridgeport like 8 points out of a playoff spot with 20 games to go? That's a pretty big hurdle to climb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad