Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Soundtigers won 7-2 and had 6 power play goals tonight.

Alan Quine having a big season so far, 13 points in 11 games. Zolnercyck also having a big season. Halmo with a goal and an assist tonight, and Poulin with a very good season so far, had 34 saves tonight. Ness with 2 assists as well as Czuczman with 2 assists tonight. Lotsa impressive kids down in Bridgeport.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Alan Quine having a big season so far, 13 points in 11 games. Zolnercyck also having a big season. Halmo with a goal and an assist tonight, and Poulin with a very good season so far, had 34 saves tonight. Ness with 2 assists as well as Czuczman with 2 assists tonight. Lotsa impressive kids down in Bridgeport.

It's the Thompson effect. ;)

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I was at the Sound Tigers game tonight. Total domination. The Albany Devils technically had more shots but they were mostly low-quality chances.

Poulin looked much better than he did last year, less flopping and far more composed. Of course he has a quality AHL defense around him, in the AHL, as opposed to an AHL-quality defense at the NHL level.

The young defense corps looks good and played well together. They cycle the puck and played a great all-around game tonight. I don't think Ness will ever be a regular NHL defenseman, however, he seems to be a good captain and leader for the young players like Reinhart and Pulock. Mayfield and Church also looked solid, especially Church's skating. Very smooth and long strides. I hope the Isles let Mayfield develop in the AHL for a couple years, if they do, I believe he can be an NHL player in time.

I kept an eye on Sundstrom and Persson specifically, among the forwards, and I thought Sundstrom really stood out. He was buzzing and creating opportunities and forcing turnovers. I think he can definitely be a bottom-six forward for the Isles if needed, maybe more in time. Persson was good but I was hoping to see more, although I did not watch him exclusively either so I missed some of his shifts. The rest of the "veteran" forwards played a strong game.

Overall this is a very interesting team. Poulin and the young defense corps should develop well with this forward group in front of them if they are able to control the pace of play like this most games.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
I was at the Sound Tigers game tonight. Total domination. The Albany Devils technically had more shots but they were mostly low-quality chances.

Poulin looked much better than he did last year, less flopping and far more composed. Of course he has a quality AHL defense around him, in the AHL, as opposed to an AHL-quality defense at the NHL level.

The young defense corps looks good and played well together. They cycle the puck and played a great all-around game tonight. I don't think Ness will ever be a regular NHL defenseman, however, he seems to be a good captain and leader for the young players like Reinhart and Pulock. Mayfield and Church also looked solid, especially Church's skating. Very smooth and long strides. I hope the Isles let Mayfield develop in the AHL for a couple years, if they do, I believe he can be an NHL player in time.

I kept an eye on Sundstrom and Persson specifically, among the forwards, and I thought Sundstrom really stood out. He was buzzing and creating opportunities and forcing turnovers. I think he can definitely be a bottom-six forward for the Isles if needed, maybe more in time. Persson was good but I was hoping to see more, although I did not watch him exclusively either so I missed some of his shifts. The rest of the "veteran" forwards played a strong game.

Overall this is a very interesting team. Poulin and the young defense corps should develop well with this forward group in front of them if they are able to control the pace of play like this most games.

I really like Sundstrom, I see him as a future fixture in the bottom 6.

Hopefully Poulin can rediscover the Poulin of old. There may be a starter in him yet.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Thanks for the detailed update Dante!

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I really like Sundstrom, I see him as a future fixture in the bottom 6.

Hopefully Poulin can rediscover the Poulin of old. There may be a starter in him yet.

I like Sundstrom as well. I am hoping he can be a strong (and cheap) fourth liner for the Isles, not necessarily because of his limitations but because of their overall depth, who can seamlessly move up to the third line as needed.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Thanks for the detailed update Dante!

No problem, I am hoping to catch a lot more Sound Tigers games this year, since they have talent worth watching, and will try to provide a summary after each. I almost went to the afternoon game today but just had too much going on to fit it in.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I like Sundstrom as well. I am hoping he can be a strong (and cheap) fourth liner for the Isles, not necessarily because of his limitations but because of their overall depth, who can seamlessly move up to the third line as needed.

I've been high on Sundstrom also. See him as a possible 3rd line shutdown center who winds up on our 4th line as an upgrade. Would like to see him fill out his frame a bit more but he is now listed at 208 pounds. He looks lanky with his 6'3" frame, could carry 210-215 when matured.
Very high defensive awareness who has scoring ability.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I've been high on Sundstrom also. See him as a possible 3rd line shutdown center who winds up on our 4th line as an upgrade. Would like to see him fill out his frame a bit more but he is now listed at 208 pounds. He looks lanky with his 6'3" frame, could carry 210-215 when matured.
Very high defensive awareness who has scoring ability.

He should replace Cizikas, who is horrendous statistically.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He should replace Cizikas, who is horrendous statistically.

He's made a lot of really bad mistakes already this year. Even the game after the healthy scratch, he had a couple including that decision to cut right in front of his own crease, resulting in a give-away and a golden opportunity for an LAK goal.

I hope he starts to turn it around, because when he's on he's a serviceable 4C, but if not I'd be all for testing out Sundstrom if he continues to impress in Bridgeport.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I have not posted on Bport so far this year but if Sundstrom is going to be a 3rd or 4th line center he needs to start winning face offs, I would say he may and I am being generous here be in the 30% range for winning FO`s but other than that he could be an upgrade to CC at this point.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I have not posted on Bport so far this year but if Sundstrom is going to be a 3rd or 4th line center he needs to start winning face offs, I would say he may and I am being generous here be in the 30% range for winning FO`s but other than that he could be an upgrade to CC at this point.

I was hunting for this info. Thank you. That's the problem. I think NYI will either have to acquire a #4C from a team that falls out of it that can draw and PK. Even a guy like McClement would be an upgrade.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He's made a lot of really bad mistakes already this year. Even the game after the healthy scratch, he had a couple including that decision to cut right in front of his own crease, resulting in a give-away and a golden opportunity for an LAK goal.

You're soooo right. He's had some BIG blunders. He's playing like he's VERY uncertain about his job security.

Better shape up too, because a few others are on the way up.

I hope he starts to turn it around, because when he's on he's a serviceable 4C, but if not I'd be all for testing out Sundstrom if he continues to impress in Bridgeport.

Sundstrom and Quine will be breathing down his neck from within.

Casey is a little lucky that the 4th line center job is pretty much his without competition at the moment. As soon as that changes though...

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
You're soooo right. He's had some BIG blunders. He's playing like he's VERY uncertain about his job security.

Casey is a little lucky that the 4th line center job is pretty much his without competition at the moment. As soon as that changes though...
He could be moved to wing if we want to retain him.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Not for nothing, Quine can only be effective if he's on the top 2 lines. And Sundstrom brings even LESS offense to the 4th line than Cizikas does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad