Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
reinhart isn't 18 with two years of junior hockey under his belt like Connolly and Bailey.

not sure you were around last year bit I actually was advocating and saying that Reinhardt should be returned to juniors last season when several others we're suggesting NHL last season.

I have watched reinhart just about every game for about 4 years. so im not just looking at his age and stats and randomly guessing where he should play. Im basing it off of what I see in his game and his maturation. the only thing that still worries me is his foot speed and agility. but they aren't terrible, it's just not A+. im not worried about his offense because frankly I don't think he will ever be a pp qb and a highly offensive player. he'll chip in occasionally and jump in the play whenever the situation calls for it but he won't ever be doughty so I don't care where is point production is right now. and I wouldn't hold him back in the ahl for the sake of trying to get him to boost his offensive numbers and alter is priorities in style of play.

his defense and his strengths. play on the boards and in front of the net, is second to none and sorely what the Isles need so he will be an islander this year.

oh and the islanders don't need to figure anything out about hickey. it's been two years and it's very obvious the kid is a valuable NHL defensemen that is also a big asset on the pk

The Isles lack defensive depth in defensive defenseman which is what Reinhart is but personally I like the AHL not so much for boosting his offensive game but to help strengthen his weak spots. As you stated, his skating is weak and needs work. Have him get a few pro games to help strengthen it and get the footing down before throwing him into the fire. As for Hickey, he's made improvements over the past 2 seasons but is the number 5 defenseman at the best on this team. Especially if they bring in a guy. His size has shown in a lot of times this past season where he needs improvement. The guy needs to just physically get stronger and he'll be fine. If they overplay him, he'll be cooked. I'm speaking from a season ticket holder of the Isles point of view. Once camp comes, we'll see how things turn out.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
ummmm 9 game look? this is the second time I have read a poster talking about that rule in regards to players like reinhart and kabanov.

the 9 game (or 6 game now) rule is for junior eligible players to have a chance in the NHL before being sent back to juniors for the season and having their service time start and having a season burned off their elc.

this does not apply to reinhart. he has played his last whl hockey game. his clock begins now whether he is in bport or long island. unless he has a terrible camp, reinhart will skip the ahl altogether. I would be shocked if he doesn't break camp with the Isles.... shocked.

I wouldnt be. Garth very vaguely intimated that Reinhart will "dictate his path, ala Hammer" and if we recall, hammer did spend half a season in the AHL. Last year Strome spent most of the season there. There is, in my mind, at least a reasonable chance he starts in the AHL.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wouldnt be. Garth very vaguely intimated that Reinhart will "dictate his path, ala Hammer" and if we recall, hammer did spend half a season in the AHL. Last year Strome spent most of the season there. There is, in my mind, at least a reasonable chance he starts in the AHL.

I found what Garth said quite interesting as well, I'm thinking now that Reinhart will start in the AHL. Ever since Klatt took over for Jankowski, the Isles have become very patient and very mindful of putting a prospect in a position to succeed while still challenging them. In Bridgeport, Reinhart will be used in a top-4 (probably top pairing) role and get the requisite minutes/reps. With such a young group, he could emerge as their alpha by mid-season. By then, Reinhart would have earned his spot at the NHL level. I'm thinking that's the way they are going to handle him.

There was an article about Klatt and his thoughts on development, I forgot where I saw it. Could have seen it on LHH. I'll post it if I find it again, good read. I don't think it's a surprise how drastically our prospect development has changed since he took over.

On top of that, we've got a pretty full house in the NHL if we add another d-man via trade. It's not like the Isles to waive and just give up on assets easily.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky

Some combo of Brennan, Carkner, Donovan, Strait

You have to figure at this point that Carkner is a lock to stay on the roster throughout the season. Brennan and Donovan are both in that the offensive defensemen mold, so it seems like they are going to have to battle for that role. When Strait was healthy two years ago, he was really solid. I think Snow would be smart to let him play, try and boost his value, and then ship him off for a team that is going through some injury troubles for a pick and then bring up Reinhart from the AHL. Snow talks about how he likes to use picks as currency on draft day, and it's not like him to dump a potential asset, even if it is small.

Reinhart-Pulock
Czuczman-Mayfield

Some combo of Graham, Leduc, Pedan, Pelech, Ness

Pokka stays in Finland.

I think starting Reinhart out in the AHL would be smart. Let him get his feet wet under Thompson, who really seems to know how to mold defenseman. Graham and Leduc could be potential ECHL guys at the start of the season due to some insane depth, but even with them there, we still have Pedan, Pelech, and Ness to fill out the bottom pairing.

Lots of defensemen fighting for very fews spots this year.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I found what Garth said quite interesting as well, I'm thinking now that Reinhart will start in the AHL. Ever since Klatt took over for Jankowski, the Isles have become very patient and very mindful of putting a prospect in a position to succeed while still challenging them. In Bridgeport, Reinhart will be used in a top-4 (probably top pairing) role and get the requisite minutes/reps. With such a young group, he could emerge as their alpha by mid-season. By then, Reinhart would have earned his spot at the NHL level. I'm thinking that's the way they are going to handle him.

There was an article about Klatt and his thoughts on development, I forgot where I saw it. Could have seen it on LHH. I'll post it if I find it again, good read. I don't think it's a surprise how drastically our prospect development has changed since he took over.

On top of that, we've got a pretty full house in the NHL if we add another d-man via trade. It's not like the Isles to waive and just give up on assets easily.

Good post per usual.

The one thing I liked that was mentioned the most, was still finding ways to challenge these kids. I remember being at an age like these kids thinking I was who I was. Invincible and better than everything and everyone. I could only imagine being a highly touted draft pick too boot in a generation where younger players are thrust into lineups more and more often.

You look over and guys drafted a slot in front or a slot behind you are playing at the highest level of the sport and meanwhile you are sent back to juniors, then sent to the minors all the while thinking that you are being underutilized and undervalued.

Nino was the perfect example. At times these kids want the same instant gratification that fans want.

Thus, like you said I am glad we have a guy whom can find a way to keep these kids challenged.

ledzep1212

COYB
Apr 5, 2007
Lindenhurst
When Strait was healthy two years ago, he was really solid.

Small sample size. Played in over half the season this past season and was a complete train wreck. More likely this past season was the real Brian Strait than the one who was ok, but not great during the shortened season.

Last edited:

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Does anyone have a list of the AHL deals for this coming season. I know of a couple of players bridgeport already has (ie Langkow and Trudeau). Also The Islanders only have 1 contract space left out of their 50 so I dont see anyone besides Sutter maybe being signed and sent to Bridgeport.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Does anyone have a list of the AHL deals for this coming season. I know of a couple of players bridgeport already has (ie Langkow and Trudeau). Also The Islanders only have 1 contract space left out of their 50 so I dont see anyone besides Sutter maybe being signed and sent to Bridgeport.

This is what I have been using:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1638189

Bridgeport has just Langkow and Vaughn signed, AFAIK

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Small sample size. Played in over half the season this past season and was a complete train wreck. More likely this past season was the real Brian Strait than the one who was ok, but not great during the shortened season.
He didn't look healthy all season. He was not as physical as he was in the shortened season. Maybe covering up an injury all season. We never really knew what his early season injury was but rumors were he had back issues. Hopefully we see the first Brian Strait this year or he may be on his way out.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I have 47 minus KK 46

1 John Tavares
2 Mikhail Grabovski
3 Nikolai Kulemin
4 Josh Bailey
5 Michael Grabner
6 Kyle Okposo
7 Frans Nielsen
8 Cal Clutterbuck
9 Matt Martin
10 Casey Cizkas
11 Brock Nelson
12 Ryan Strome
13 Anders Lee
14 Eric Boulton
15 Colin McDonald
16 Cory Conacher
17 Lubomir Visnovsky
18 Travis Hamonic
19 Calvin deHaan
20 Matt Carkner
21 Brian Strait
22 Thomas Hickey
23 T.J. Brennan
24 Jaroslav Halak
25 Chad Johnson
26 Kevin Poulin (pending Arbitration)
27 Scott Mayfield
28 Kevin Czuczman
29 Ville Pokka
30 Ryan Poluck
31 Sebastian Collberg
32 Mike Halmo
33 Griffin Reinhart
34 Adam Pelech
35 Matt Donovan
36 Aaron Ness
37 Andrei Pedan
38 Johan Sundstrom
39 Jack Skille
40 David Leggio
41 Kael Mouillierat
42 Harry Zolniercyk
43 John Persson
44 Loic Leduc
45 Jesse Graham
46 Brett Gallent
47 Alan Quine
48 Jason Clark

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I had Graham playin 1 more year in jr`s and Pokka playing across the pond, which don't effect the 50 contract rule. My mistake. The Isles will need to make a couple minor moves to free up contract room

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I had Graham playin 1 more year in jr`s and Pokka playing across the pond, which don't effect the 50 contract rule. My mistake. The Isles will need to make a couple minor moves to free up contract room

I think the only contract that is slide eligible is Pulock and I'm sure they would rather him in Bridgeport than back in Brandon.

ledzep1212

COYB
Apr 5, 2007
Lindenhurst
He didn't look healthy all season. He was not as physical as he was in the shortened season. Maybe covering up an injury all season. We never really knew what his early season injury was but rumors were he had back issues. Hopefully we see the first Brian Strait this year or he may be on his way out.

The first Brian Strait is not who he is. The player we saw after he came back from injury and all last season is who Strait is as a hockey player.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The first Brian Strait is not who he is. The player we saw after he came back from injury and all last season is who Strait is as a hockey player.
Amazing, you can tell all this from such a small sample.:laugh: I'll reserve my assessment until the end of this season, if he can stay healthy.

ledzep1212

COYB
Apr 5, 2007
Lindenhurst
Amazing, you can tell all this from such a small sample.:laugh: I'll reserve my assessment until the end of this season, if he can stay healthy.

Actually you are the one who is using the small sample. You are basing your argument on him being good off of a 15 game sample, that is it. I am basing him being terrible on the 57 games he has played after where he has indeed been terrible. So who again is using the small sample?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Actually you are the one who is using the small sample. You are basing your argument on him being good off of a 15 game sample, that is it. I am basing him being terrible on the 57 games he has played after where he has indeed been terrible. So who again is using the small sample?

Was he playing with injuries the entire season last season?

ledzep1212

COYB
Apr 5, 2007
Lindenhurst
Was he playing with injuries the entire season last season?

Most players play with injuries during a season, whether they are minor or major all players accrue injuries during a season and play through them. Strait played through what ever injuries he had and he was horrendous. Also why should I care about Straits injuries when you guys care so little about how Donovan played all of last season with no confidence. Anytime he made one error on the ice Cappy would bench him for the rest of the period. I have no doubt that Donovan if given the opportunity will vastly outplay Strait just as he did this past season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad