Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
No one has issues with Trouba doing this. If it helps the team, creates momentum and does it to protect the teammates, fans won’t have an issue with it.
There is a difference in picking spots for a guy that can do it and people talking about him like he needs to go fight. If Trouba couldnt fight it doesnt make him any less of an impact. It is an enormous plus that he can stand up for himself when these donkeys start crying bc they cant take a hard hit.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Schneider reminds quite a bit of early days Trouba, before he got his 8M contract. I can’t really think of a much better comparison. Young Trouba. The way he jumps in on the pinch to keep pucks alive, willingness to throw the puck to the net any chance he gets, willingness to throw the body around, block shots, etc. maybe a little bit of youthful running around but otherwise steady. This all sounds like early Trouba to me. I don’t know if Schneids has the cannon Trouba was known for.

Reminds me of Vlasic and for whatever reason, he skates exactly how I remember Keith Ballard skating

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
This kid is so impressive. I love how he does all the little things right, half the time you don't really even notice just how impactful he is unless you really pay attention to him on the ice. He's going to be a great defensemen in this league for a very long time. I hated when we didn't take a Center with this pick in 2020, I won't deny that. Now, I am very happy that I was wrong.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
What impresses me the most about him so far is that he doesn't look like he's overplaying anything. Sure he's had a couple of gaffs, but that's to be expected. This is just his baseline ability. He's upside is through the roof. Even if he were never to get any better, he'd already be a top - 4 defenseman. Really, really impressive.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Think about it, does a team have a better right side then Fox, Trouba and Schneider? Is anyone even close with how hard it is to find right defensemen?

Ekblad Weegar and Montour with Florida is probably your closest competition if we're talking right-side specific.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It seemed Chris Morehouse was the big Schneider backer. JD asked the group if you would take Schneider at #15. Morehouse said all day. The Rangers were trying to trade up from #22. The Leafs were at #15 in 2020. Gorton found a taker at the Flames pick at #19.

I was surprised Morehouse stuck around after JD left. He might be the first nepotism hire that actually works out :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It seemed Chris Morehouse was the big Schneider backer. JD asked the group if you would take Schneider at #15. Morehouse said all day. The Rangers were trying to trade up from #22. The Leafs were at #15 in 2020. Gorton found a taker at the Flames pick at #19.

Gorton with the unexpected joke "don't use it against me in contract negotiations".

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019

. Yeah the devils were going to take him at 20

Reactions: bhamill

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I think his debut has been at least as impressive so far or even moreso than McDonagh's. He's smooth as silk out there.

People have compared him to Trouba but I'm not sure if I'm seeing the comparisons. Trouba is basically a bulldozer with a shotgun attached to it. Schneider is much more cerebral with softer hands.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I think his debut has been at least as impressive so far or even moreso than McDonagh's. He's smooth as silk out there.

People have compared him to Trouba but I'm not sure if I'm seeing the comparisons. Trouba is basically a bulldozer with a shotgun attached to it. Schneider is much more cerebral with softer hands.

I think people are comparing him to Trouba because he's got size and a willingness to use it, but yes he's got a far better outlet pass, and he's better at jumping into the play than Trouba.
He still hasnt grown into his size yet either which is scary good.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Agree. Not very likely. But if Rangers were after something big they may trade young players and prospects. They are going to go for it the next couple of years. And Schneider would be a third pairing guy. Dont think they will hold back with Shesty, Panarin, Fox, Trouba and Zibanejad on big contracts. Scneider is a player many teams would want back in a trade.

Also, the one you might want is to keep if you are going for it.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think people are comparing him to Trouba because he's got size and a willingness to use it, but yes he's got a far better outlet pass, and he's better at jumping into the play than Trouba.
He still hasnt grown into his size yet either which is scary good.

He's better defensively than young Trouba too.

People forget, but Trouba has always been more of a masher with a cannon of a shot, not a defense first guy.

I hope he can become a right handed Slavin. Similar tool kits.

Reactions: Brief Candle

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I don't know why, but when I watch Schneider play, I can't help thinking of JovoCop.

He's kind of been everything I expected him to be on defense and in the NZ. But what I've been pleasantly surprised by is his offensive instincts and skills.

Kind of thought he'd be more of a back end guy, not quite stay at home, but certainly defense first. But he actually looks more well balanced and I honestly could see him, somewhere down the road, getting more PP time. And his shot, I think he could even snipe on a PP, maybe even with Fox at some point. But his passing and instincts all around have been above average. Think it's only a matter of time before he starts putting up points more regularly. I don't think a 40 point Dman is out of the question sometime down the road.

Kind of makes it easier to move one of the other D prospects, because I can't see Schneider going back down the way he's been playing. And I'm totally ok with a right side of Fox, Trouba, Schneider going forward. Heck, Trouba's been terrific this year, which is a nice surprise, but I would definitely give Schneider more ice time than a normal 3rd pairing guy. And soon enough, I could see Jones being an ideal LD partner for him.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I continue to get the sense that Nils making the big club out of camp was more a Rangers attempt to signal the rest of the league. I think their opinion of these three kids is actually in reverse order of when they made their debuts this season (yes I know that Jones played last year).

Schneider is the #1 and part of the long term plan. Jones is liked but would be moved in the right deal. Nils is trade fodder and they were hoping to increase his stock, and minimize uncertainty with his transition to NA, with an early season showcase.

I don’t know if Nils helped or hurt his stock so far this year.

I've been saying for a while that I think Schneider is the only young D of the bunch that is untouchable. Didn't expect him to be this good so soon, or show this much offensive ability, but he's proving that.

And I've been a big Jones guy for a while, especially due to him being an offensively minded LD, which I think we need.

For me, unless Lundqvist came in and blew everyone away, I've kind of thought he'd be the odd man out. Not that he's a bust or anything, not even that he will get moved, just that I think he's the most likely to. Plus he'd get us a fairly big return. For me, it came down to having Fox and Schneider being a big, tough, strong defensive guy. We still have Trouba for at least two years until his NMC is out and that leaves one RD spot to develop one of our prospects in. And I just thought it would be Schneider, who would eventually replace Trouba. And sure, we could have Lundkvist as a 3rd pair RD at that point, but if he's as good as he can be and develops soon enough, I am not sure a 3rd pair role is fair to him in terms of his own development. At least not in another 2 years time. For right now it would be fine if he was performing, but Schneider kind of shot that out of the water I think. So unless he can compete with Jones for a LD spot, or unless he outshines Miller at some point, just not sure where he would fit in.

Same goes for Robertson, all though, I could see Robertson being more of a long term 3rd pair LD, who won't necessarily have to get more time to develop, just because I don't think his ceiling is as high.

But yea, I have been suggesting we move Nils for an equivalent young center. Someone like Turcotte or Perfetti or whatever. Really wanted Newhook, but he's not going anywhere now. I like Kupari too, but I think Robertson would be more fair of a price to pay for him. Not sure if he's worth Lundkvist on his own.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
YouTube his
I've been saying for a while that I think Schneider is the only young D of the bunch that is untouchable. Didn't expect him to be this good so soon, or show this much offensive ability, but he's proving that.

And I've been a big Jones guy for a while, especially due to him being an offensively minded LD, which I think we need.

For me, unless Lundqvist came in and blew everyone away, I've kind of thought he'd be the odd man out. Not that he's a bust or anything, not even that he will get moved, just that I think he's the most likely to. Plus he'd get us a fairly big return. For me, it came down to having Fox and Schneider being a big, tough, strong defensive guy. We still have Trouba for at least two years until his NMC is out and that leaves one RD spot to develop one of our prospects in. And I just thought it would be Schneider, who would eventually replace Trouba. And sure, we could have Lundkvist as a 3rd pair RD at that point, but if he's as good as he can be and develops soon enough, I am not sure a 3rd pair role is fair to him in terms of his own development. At least not in another 2 years time. For right now it would be fine if he was performing, but Schneider kind of shot that out of the water I think. So unless he can compete with Jones for a LD spot, or unless he outshines Miller at some point, just not sure where he would fit in.

Same goes for Robertson, all though, I could see Robertson being more of a long term 3rd pair LD, who won't necessarily have to get more time to develop, just because I don't think his ceiling is as high.

But yea, I have been suggesting we move Nils for an equivalent young center. Someone like Turcotte or Perfetti or whatever. Really wanted Newhook, but he's not going anywhere now. I like Kupari too, but I think Robertson would be more fair of a price to pay for him. Not sure if he's worth Lundkvist on his own.

You’ve got to think that if a trade like that was on the table, it would have been made by now. I’m not sure Lundkvist is as coveted around the league as we think and hope he is.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
YouTube his

You’ve got to think that if a trade like that was on the table, it would have been made by now. I’m not sure Lundkvist is as coveted around the league as we think and hope he is.

I don't know necessarily. If we are dealing with prospects here, it's not necessarily something either team would prioritize in terms of expediency. Especially with the Rangers doing so well. I mean, I would hope if we did get a player like that, they would slip into the lineup, right away. But it might not be an NHL ready prospect necessarily or someone the team thinks would be needed right now. So maybe even after the season?

As far as Lundkvist's value, I am sure we overvalue him at least a tad. But even if that's the case, he's still worth a 1st rounder, or 1st round talent I would think. Whether that's someone like Turcotte or Kupari I am not sure. I was kind of just using them as examples, all though I do think there's a clear pathway for trade between the Rangers and Kings. But just in general, I don't think there's any doubt we could use a young center with top 6 upside. Like, I think we should prioritize that whether Drury actually does or not. But since we have Strome still for now, maybe we wouldn't need that player until next season. All though I think they could be an upgrade over what we have now on our 3rd line and long term, hopefully over Strome. Unless they did something even bigger which might not be out of the question. We theoretically could trade Krav and Lundkvist for perhaps something superior. But I am just spitballing here.

While I am not enamored with Drury so far, I would have to hope he wouldn't accept anything less. Supposedly, and I tend not to believe this because it would mean Drury is a moron, but supposedly he turned down Kupari and a 1st for Buchnevich. At least that's what some claim based on a rumor, someone reported or tweeted. I mean, which if that is the case, then it would be safe to say I am not very optimistic about Drury's ability to manage assets, because to me at least, that would have been a far superior return to Blaise and a 2nd. Even though I like Blaise..... just not that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad