Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Where there’s smoke there’s fire

Since Simmons is the source, there probably isn't any smoke because he literally makes things up. It astonishes me that he still has a job.

but why wouldn’t Dallas resign him then?

For any of a number of reasons.

He's not serious about actually changing the team.

There are these things called no movement clauses, you might want to look them up. Not so easy to change the team when those exist. Maybe we get lucky and he moves Marner this summer. If not, then we have to wait until next summer for real change but that is not Tre's fault.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm more confident in him now then I was when I made this thread.

I would have moved on from Lilly but the fact remains the defense is stronger, the goaltending is stronger, the prospect pool is slowly getting stronger as he hasn't moved any 1st rounders yet, well he did but he still picked in the 1st round he just moved down.

So far so good.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This might end up biting me in the ass, but I feel the same way today as I did when I made this thread.

He's been here 15 months and I think he's put together the best defense we've
for sure in the Matthews era and probably in the last 25 years.

I'd like to see 1 more piece added at the deadline but I don't remember the last time the defense was this deep.

I'm not against trading 1st rounders but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't nice to see a couple get used I don't think that 2025 2nd is getting used though.

It's nice to be confident in the GM again.

Reactions: Roo

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Treliving's report card so far.

Trades: FAIL - All those picks wasted on deadline rentals that didn't work out was expensive and stupid. The biggest failing here though is not being able to trade one of either Marner or Nylander.

Free agency: FAIL - Everyone he signed is over the hill and injury prone. Just constant bad targets and bad contracts. Will probably cost even more draft picks to unload a couple these in a few years.

Contracts: FAIL - All Treliving has done since he got here is give people raises. He must be an agent's favourite GM. Because he just gives players everything they ask for.

Drafting: N/A - Too early to say either way.

Even if the direction was coming from Shanahan the execution has been terrible. The responsibility for the final on ice product rests entirely with Treliving's office. It's his job to put together a cup contending hockey team.

He FAILED...

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018

Trades: FAIL - All those picks wasted on deadline rentals that didn't work out was expensive and stupid. The biggest failing here though is not being able to trade one of either Marner or Nylander.

Free agency: FAIL - Everyone he signed is over the hill and injury prone. Just constant bad targets and bad contracts. Will probably cost even more draft picks to unload a couple these in a few years.

Contracts: FAIL - All Treliving has done since he got here is give people raises. He must be an agent's favourite GM. Because he just gives players everything they ask for.

Even if the direction was coming from Shanahan the execution has been terrible. The responsibility for the final on ice product rests entirely with Treliving's office. It's his job to put together a cup contending hockey team.

He FAILED...
Team once again lost in the 1st round of the playoffs but he didn't trade any first or second round draft picks to accomplish this. Already better than his predecessor.

Everyone he has signed is over the hill? Domi (29), Benoit (25), Dewar (25), Stolarz (30). Obviously you think Tanev (34), OEL (33), Reeves (36 when signed) are.

I would have preferred if Marner was moved however only if it was an actual deal to acquire pieces that would have balanced the roster better or to restock the draft picks that Dubas gave away like candy. Marner has a full NMC so that always felt like it was a pipedream. Why the hell would they look at moving Nylander when he is the second best player on the roster?

Everything else you typed is laughable at best and not worth responding to, its pretty damn close to an accurate summary of the previous GM though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He FAILED...
Guy who likes nothing, still likes nothing. News at 11.

It's not that he was not able to trade one of Marner, or Nylander, he chose not to.
UFA's. Pretty much all UFA's are around the same age.
Contracts... let's start a list of resigned players, who have taken discounts over their last contracts.. it doesn't really happen much. Most get raises, or they walk.

I stated earlier, all that matters is results. He failed last year, sure. It's way to early to say he failed this year for this group, but we'll see.

But, carry on liking nothing.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Team once again lost in the 1st round of the playoffs but he didn't trade any first or second round draft picks to accomplish this. Already better than his predecessor.

Everyone he has signed is over the hill? Domi (29), Benoit (25), Dewar (25), Stolarz (30). Obviously you think Tanev (34), OEL (33), Reeves (36 when signed) are.

I would have preferred if Marner was moved however only if it was an actual deal to acquire pieces that would have balanced the roster better or to restock the draft picks that Dubas gave away like candy. Marner has a full NMC so that always felt like it was a pipedream. Why the hell would they look at moving Nylander when he is the second best player on the roster?

Everything else you typed is laughable at best and not worth responding to, its pretty damn close to an accurate summary of the previous GM though.

Thanks, I was going to reply but you summarized my counter points too.

Ask these guys who had a better offseason, or what specifically they would have done differently. They have nothing, they just want to complain.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This team doesnt inspire much confidence on paper

Tanev is a 35 year old #4D
OEL a 34 year old #5D

On the ice it has better potential if our new coach can implement a strong defense system but the names arent very strong on the defense and age is a big factor for possible further declines

Berube system + woll/stolarz play + knies/cowan/greb/robertson & minten maybe will determine if this team is different than the past leafs teams

On paper its a low 100 pt 1st round exit team to bos or flor (or NYR if we somehow faced them as WC team) with ~50% chance of beating tampa/NJD/CAR and very high chance to beat DET/WSH/BUF/OTT/MTL/NYI if we win the division

Winning the division will determine our fates. Avoid bos/flor R1 and a cup run is possible.

Face them and I cant see us beating either team as the roster currently is on paper

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

OEL a 34 year old #5D

On the ice it has better potential if our new coach can implement a strong defense system but the names arent very strong on the defense and age is a big factor for possible further declines

Berube system + woll/stolarz play + knies/cowan/greb/robertson & minten maybe will determine if this team is different than the past leafs teams

On paper its a low 100 pt 1st round exit team to bos or flor (or NYR if we somehow faced them as WC team) with ~50% chance of beating tampa/NJD/CAR and very high chance to beat DET/WSH/BUF/OTT/MTL/NYI if we win the division

Winning the division will determine our fates. Avoid bos/flor R1 and a cup run is possible.

Face them and I cant see us beating either team as the roster currently is on paper
Some of us realized several years ago that the team wasn't going anywhere until JTs contract ended, and Marner's playoff disappearance has confirmed it.

The team should do well in the regular season again, but if we're looking for playoff success I doubt there's a point in expecting it before the following year.

I always hope for the best, but it feels like shuffling the deck chairs while the anchor is still signed.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I always felt he was brought in as Shanny’s last guy. With Shanny not being around much longer, I doubt Tre’s tenure will be very long. Call it a gut feeling, but he has made many very mediocre relatively lost cost moves. Not sure that’s his decision or the Leafs not wanting to give him too much ability to alter the future before they bring in a totally new regime. If this year is another failure, I imagine MLSE finally cuts ties with Shanny. The following is going down for the first time I can remember from the faithful. Not saying he’ll be out as soon as soon as Shanahan is, usually the new guy “evaluates” first, but I doubt he’s many people’s first choice

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He FAILED...

Legitimate question, do you like anything ever?

I get having issues with this team nobody, and I do mean NOBODY has more issues with the goaltending than me.

I believe that the goaltending single handily cost them the division last year, Samsonov alone pissed away at least 15 points, others blamed the defense but not me because he was THAT BAD.

And I still have questions about the goaltending, mostly due to Woll's health, he can't miss multiple months with an injury this year, especially on a muffin shot like last year, if he misses more then a month again he's got to go.

That said he is a talented goaltender and he is playing behind a much better defense, they have a 2nd waive of younger forwards coming up in Knies, Robertson, Cowan and Mcmann

Treliving hasn't traded any 1sts or 2nds yet, although I suspect that changes in 2025 I don't think that Florida 2nd survives the deadline but he has used both 1st round picks that he's had so It's clear he's trying to restock the farm.

You need to relax, yeah there are holes on this team but not everything is shit, in fact the teams in a pretty good spot.

Reactions: bax

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It boggles my mind people think I'm too negative still.

How many first round losses are acceptable. Do they have to miss the playoffs again before everyone else sees the same thing I do. Fans are so desperate for good news they're ga-ga over the signing of the 35 year old broken and battered body of Chris Tanev for crying out loud.

It's impossible to call this anything but a losing culture.

Treliving is so incompetent his costly attempt at building a winning culture sped up the team's descent. He made the team worse while trying to make it better. But at least he didn't trade any first round picks in the process.

I guess there are some fans who don't care about winning.

They're safe in their comfortable loser mentally. So they handwave winning away like it has nothing to do with sports. Ignoring the fact fans were promised a team that would contend for the cup every year.

I wish my standards were that low.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

How many first round losses are acceptable. Do they have to miss the playoffs again before everyone else sees the same thing I do. Fans are so desperate for good news they're ga-ga over the signing of the 35 year old broken and battered body of Chris Tanev for crying out loud.

Treliving is so incompetent his costly attempt at building a winning culture sped up the team's descent. He made the team worse while trying to make it better. But at least he didn't trade any first round picks in the process.

They're safe in their comfortable loser mentally. So they handwave winning away like it has nothing to do with sports. Ignoring the fact fans were promised a team that would contend for the cup every year.

Exactly. Nothing that happened in the off season makes me believe they will win a round, let alone the cup. If this was a "good off season" then the standards are really low for sure. The moron will probably re-sign Marner and JT to overpayments too.

Reactions: rumman

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Tre needs to get a lot more nasty players in the system. Our opponents need to be going home sore and pissed off after every game we play. You can't rely on one old man to set the tone and this "turn the other cheek" crap from our core doesn't help.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Tre needs to get a lot more nasty players in the system. Our opponents need to be going home sore and pissed off after every game we play. You can't rely on one old man to set the tone and this "turn the other cheek" crap from our core doesn't help.

Treliving has been working on that over the past 15 months.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Hey we paid $27m for that old broken and battered body of Chris Tanev.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The moron will probably re-sign Marner and JT to overpayments too.

Front loaded, paid mostly in guaranteed signing bonuses, and with full NMC's too I'm sure.

Hey we paid $27m for that old broken and battered body of Chris Tanev.

Yeah but it's ok because he's probably only gonna play three or four years so a lot of it doesn't count since he will be on LTIR right.

Insurance companies should be putting pressure on the NHL about these suspect contracts and "injuries".

Reactions: ToneDog and rumman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

How was the team worse last year than the several years before?

Despite not wasting high picks at the deadline for rentals, despite a terrible coach, and despite JT's continued decline and a lack of good goaltending, they finished with only 9 fewer points in the regular season.

Despite their two best players missing games and the decline and disappearance respectively of JT and Mitch, they did about as well in the playoffs - within an OT goal of advancing.

The four big problems he inherited are coaching, cap distribution, defence, and goal. He has improved the coaching, tried to improve both D and G (we'll have to wait to see the results), and likely can't do anything about the other problem until next summer.

I'm not saying he's been great, but he's only got one first round loss (compared to how many by his predecessor?) so I think he deserves a bit more time before we heat the tar and pluck the chickens.

As far as "a team that would contend for the cup each year", that's on Shanahan for allowing Dubas to create this mess, not on the guy who's had little chance to fix it.

Reactions: Lemontree

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

OEL a 34 year old #5D

Tanec is the perfect complementary player for Rielly and eqsily the best defensive D leafs had in Matthews era not evwn close.

Oel bring offensive fron D who had been a issues for years. They failed with Klinberg injury and Liljegren never been able to make a real impact when leafs using it in that spot. He also bring physicality, an other need.

#1,2,3,4 are just number. You can take a D who was working pretty with somwone and move him somewhere else and he will not be the same. Exemple Oel with Florida when Montour had been injured, they need him to bring some offensive and stability in D but when Montour and Ekblad came back, they didn't need him as much anymore so he moved on 3rd pair. In toronto, leafs will need this aspect of their game because it's what they need. They dont need shutdown D, they already got that with tanev, mccabe, benoit, hakanpaa.

A worst D who bring exactly bring what team need will most of the time bring you more than the better D who don't necessairly fit with your need...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It’s always seemed inevitable they’d play together. Exciting time to be a fan of this team.

I agree, I'm choosing to be optimistic about this team.

Sure I have concerns, Woll's health chief among them, he can't miss multiple months with an injury this year, he simply can't and if he does he's got to go, can't have a goaltender that can't stay healthy no matter how talented and Woll is talented.

But beyond that I see the deepest defense we have had in at least the Matthews era, if not the last 25 years.

I see a 2nd waive of young forwards coming up in Knies, Cowan, Robertson, Minten, and Mcmann.

I see a GM that's not trading 1st and 2nd round picks, although I think that changes, I don't think that Florida 2nd survives the deadline.

I see an an actual credible head coach behind the bench, with credible assistants, including a guy that's actually been on the PP running the PP, what a novel f***ing concept that is.

I'm not exactly a guy that's afraid to share his opinions here and I don't really care what others think and I think you know that.

Right now on September 18th 2024 I see a lot of reasons to be optimistic

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Exactly. Nothing that happened in the off season makes me believe they will win a round, let alone the cup. If this was a "good off season" then the standards are really low for sure. The moron will probably re-sign Marner and JT to overpayments too.
It's all just another rendition of the core-4 (but even more expensive) + pawn shop squad. Seen this movie 8 times now. But apparently you're not a real fan if you're not giddy again to watch this.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I agree, I'm choosing to be optimistic about this team.

Sure I have concerns, Woll's health chief among them, he can't miss multiple months with an injury this year, he simply can't and if he does he's got to go, can't have a goaltender that can't stay healthy no matter how talented and Woll is talented.

But beyond that I see the deepest defense we have had in at least the Matthews era, if not the last 25 years.

I see a 2nd waive of young forwards coming up in Knies, Cowan, Robertson, Minten, and Mcmann.

I see a GM that's not trading 1st and 2nd round picks, although I think that changes, I don't think that Florida 2nd survives the deadline.

I see an an actual credible head coach behind the bench, with credible assistants, including a guy that's actually been on the PP running the PP, what a novel f***ing concept that is.

I'm not exactly a guy that's afraid to share his opinions here and I don't really care what others think and I think you know that.

Right now on September 18th 2024 I see a lot of reasons to be optimistic
As any fan should. I really don't get why some just come here to moan daily.

Can't wait until it gets started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad