Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As any fan should. I really don't get why some just come here to moan daily.

Can't wait until it gets started.

The reason is because they didn't get the changes they wanted because they wanted core changes, AKA Marner gone.

Me? I got most of what I wanted.

Biggiest thing I wanted was to give this core a chance under a real coach.

Now we are going to find out if the issues are truly core related or are they coach related?

We are about to find out.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The reason is because they didn't get the changes they wanted because they wanted core changes, AKA Marner gone.

Me? I got most of what I wanted.

Biggiest thing I wanted was to give this core a chance under a real coach.

Now we are going to find out if the issues are truly core related or are they coach related?

We are about to find out.
I get the reason, just don't see the point in crying about it daily.

Coach was the big change for me as well. Feeling good about this season.

Reactions: Bejeezus

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It's all just another rendition of the core-4 (but even more expensive) + pawn shop squad. Seen this movie 8 times now. But apparently you're not a real fan if you're not giddy again to watch this.

I think this is a very fair stance and I feel that way also to a degree.

What I dont trust is that we were actually a well coached team. How is it that you design a program around 4-5 all world offensive talents who produce at a elite level in the regular season but then have a 15% PP over a 30+ game sample in the playoffs? How can such talented players put up such a putrid PP when some other teams are hitting at like a 30% clip over that same playoff timeline.

So either we have the biggest fools gold who can't even be trusted to score 5 v 4 or the coaching staff wasn't as great as some had hoped.

Wouldn't at all be surprised that by midseason, Berube and his staff look like quite an upgrade at the coaching position.

Reactions: Evilhomer

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

What I dont trust is that we were actually a well coached team. How is it that you design a program around 4-5 all world offensive talents who produce at a elite level in the regular season but then have a 15% PP over a 30+ game sample in the playoffs? How can such talented players put up such a putrid PP when some other teams are hitting at like a 30% clip over that same playoff timeline.

So either we have the biggest fools gold who can't even be trusted to score 5 v 4 or the coaching staff wasn't as great as some had hoped.

Wouldn't at all be surprised that by midseason, Berube and his staff look like quite an upgrade at the coaching position.
For sure there's a few interesting things going into the season. Berube's a solid coach who knows what he's doing, but there is a chance that his style/methods won't mesh with the team. Knies could be due for a breakout very soon, and there's some pretty talented youngins in the wings who could make an impact in Grebyonkin, Cowan, etc...

Gonna watch every game I can this season as I always do, but this whole fan policing thing of "if you're not optimistic you're not a real fan" is just ridiculous and tiresome. The whole "no criticism allowed" mentality is just stupid and unproductive, it's an internet forum for crying out loud. If one is so sensitive that you can't handle criticism of things you like on here just get off of here.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
For sure there's a few interesting things going into the season. Berube's a solid coach who knows what he's doing, but there is a chance that his style/methods won't mesh with the team. Knies could be due for a breakout very soon, and there's some pretty talented youngins in the wings who could make an impact in Grebyonkin, Cowan, etc...

Gonna watch every game I can this season as I always do, but this whole fan policing thing of "if you're not optimistic you're not a real fan" is just ridiculous and tiresome. The whole "no criticism allowed" mentality is just stupid and unproductive, it's an internet forum for crying out loud. If one is so sensitive that you can't handle criticism of things you like on here just get off of here.
Controlling the narrative seem to be essential to some folks here, what other group in history tried it’s best to silence dissenting opinions…………

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Where we're at midseason isn't going to tell us anything about how the PP performs in the playoffs, in fact I don't see how it tells us much about anything. Regular season has never been our problem so we'll just have to wait for the playoffs to see if anything's changed.

I like Berube, but expecting Leopards to change their spots just because there's a new coach seems overly optimistic to me. I'm not a fan of Keefe but he wasn't that bad either and I'm quite sure he didn't tell the guys to go out there and play like drowsy turtles in game 7 year after year.

Looks like fools gold to me, especially Marner and JT who haven't come close to providing value for their cap hits in the playoffs.

Reactions: ToneDog and rumman

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Where we're at midseason isn't going to tell us anything about how the PP performs in the playoffs, in fact I don't see how it tells us much about anything. Regular season has never been our problem so we'll just have to wait for the playoffs to see if anything's changed.

I like Berube, but expecting Leopards to change their spots just because there's a new coach seems overly optimistic to me. I'm not a fan of Keefe but he wasn't that bad either and I'm quite sure he didn't tell the guys to go out there and play like drowsy turtles in game 7 year after year.

Looks like fools gold to me, especially Marner and JT who haven't come close to providing value for their cap hits in the playoffs.

I mean it actually could tell us something like if the setup of the five same players stays intact or how the goals are being scored on the PP. By this logic, really nothing can be analyzed in the regular season because it's not the playoffs.

We actually don't know much about how good or bad Sheldon Keefe is as a NHL coach considering this was his first ever head coaching job in the league. He could go on to do great things in NJ but if they don't have a good season with all their expectations, I don't think many people will be trying to argue that Keefe is some amazing coach and will start to lose appeal just like what's currently happening to Dubas in Pitt.

We should not be getting shutdown on the PP under any circumstances. I can understand getting shutdown 5v5 or unfortunately being a team who chokes due to the pressure but we have supremely gifted offensive players that shouldn't be hitting at only a 15% clip on the PP. If you go and actually break down the tape of our PP, its extremely predictable. In the playoffs teams lock in on your playstyle and try to neutralize your #1 strategy. You need to be able to pivot to another playstyle or strat if your first option isn't working and we haven't been good at that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I mean it actually could tell us something like if the setup of the five same players stays intact or how the goals are being scored on the PP. By this logic, really nothing can be analyzed in the regular season because it's not the playoffs.

We actually don't know much about how good or bad Sheldon Keefe is as a NHL coach considering this was his first ever head coaching job in the league. He could go on to do great things in NJ but if they don't have a good season with all their expectations, I don't think many people will be trying to argue that Keefe is some amazing coach and will start to lose appeal just like what's currently happening to Dubas in Pitt.

We should not be getting shutdown on the PP under any circumstances. I can understand getting shutdown 5v5 or unfortunately being a team who chokes due to the pressure but we have supremely gifted offensive players that shouldn't be hitting at only a 15% clip on the PP. If you go and actually break down the tape of our PP, its extremely predictable. In the playoffs teams lock in on your playstyle and try to neutralize your #1 strategy. You need to be able to pivot to another playstyle or strat if your first option isn't working and we haven't been good at that.
I don't think it's fair to put our PP playoff failures 100% on the coach but even if it is, the PP isn't the only reason we keep losing game 7, it's not even the main reason.

The main reason we always lose game 7, is that we always lose game 7 if that makes sense. When the going gets tough and it's time to raise our level of play, we just don't seem to be able to compete the way you need to to win.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I don't think it's fair to put our PP playoff failures 100% on the coach but even if it is, the PP isn't the only reason we keep losing game 7, it's not even the main reason.

The main reason we always lose game 7, is that we always lose game 7 if that makes sense. When the going gets tough and it's time to raise our level of play, we just don't seem to be able to compete the way you need to to win.

I'm not putting it 100% on the coach but when the sample size is 30+ games that spans over numerous seasons, they do need to own some of this failure.

Our futile PP has been easily one of the biggest reasons why we've struggled to score as much as we should be in the playoffs.

Our PP was 15.4% over 32 games played, while other top contenders like EDM or COL are hitting at 30+%.

Just doesn't give me confidence that the coaching staff was getting the most out of the group when they can't even figure out the PP.

Screenshot (1500).png

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Controlling the narrative seem to be essential to some folks here, what other group in history tried it’s best to silence dissenting opinions…………
To be fair, some of you are ridiculously negative though. While I don't expect anything other than a 1st round exit, some of you are a bit extreme with your negativity, such as the poster saying Treliving has failed in every regard.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
To be fair, some of you are ridiculously negative though. While I don't expect anything other than a 1st round exit, some of you are a bit extreme with your negativity, such as the poster saying Treliving has failed in every regard.
It's fair to have concerns, it's the repeating the same things daily that is a little strange.
Everyone knows the team has failed in the playoffs, it doesn't need to be pointed out many times daily.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's fair to have concerns, it's the repeating the same things daily that is a little strange.
Everyone knows the team has failed in the playoffs, it doesn't need to be pointed out many times daily.
It is absolutely fair to have concerns and also premature to say Treliving is going a great job.

I don't agree that he is repeating past actions though.

New coach
New captain
New goalie tandem
New D pairings and make up based on reallocating forward funds to D
No extensions for JT or MM
More competition in camp than we have every seen.

Yes, he extended 34 and 88 but those seem like the two to have done this with.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not putting it 100% on the coach but when the sample size is 30+ games that spans over numerous seasons, they do need to own some of this failure.

Our futile PP has been easily one of the biggest reasons why we've struggled to score as much as we should be in the playoffs.

Our PP was 15.4% over 32 games played, while other top contenders like EDM or COL are hitting at 30+%.

Just doesn't give me confidence that the coaching staff was getting the most out of the group when they can't even figure out the PP.

View attachment 907504
Yes a lot of the blame for the PP goes to the coaching staff, agree 100%.
Maybe it's the people calling Marner super crazy elite every time he has a good regular season game who are asking to be reminded. ;)

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It is absolutely fair to have concerns and also premature to say Treliving is going a great job.

I don't agree that he is repeating past actions though.

New coach
New captain
New goalie tandem
New D pairings and make up based on reallocating forward funds to D
No extensions for JT or MM
More competition in camp than we have every seen.

Yes, he extended 34 and 88 but those seem like the two to have done this with.
Agreed, except the bolded.
It doesn't really seem much different than prior years.

Reactions: uncleben

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

"Gifted offensive players" yes, but the right ones for a PP?

The defenceman has a decent but not great shot. One forward has a below average shot and a tendency to try for the most difficult passes. The slot man doesn't like to screen the goalie.

Additionally, one of the two snipers is back at the point playing quarterback.

When a good coach gets his players to get on the weaker ones quickly, cut off the cross ice pass, and make sure the goalie can see the puck all the time, it's easy to defend, especially when the players are pretty stationary.

Reactions: weems

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Agreed, except the bolded.
It doesn't really seem much different than prior years.

That's an opinion, you are welcome to have it. My counter is:

Matthews, Marner, Domi, Nylander, Tavares, Knies, McMann, Kampf, Jarnkrok have nine spots locked up. That leaves three or four for Holmberg, Robertson, Paccioretty, Dewar, Lorentz, Reaves, Steeves, Cowan, Minten, Grebenkin, and A Nylander. That's 11 guys fighting for three or four spots. They will start to push Kampf and Jarnkrok too. I feel like thar is more than previous years.

On D we have Reilly, Tanev, OEL and McCabre as four locks with Liljegren, Benoit, Hakanpaa and Timmins fighting for two or three...not to mention Niemela, Myers and Mermis.

If Murray is healthy this is a three deep competition for the crease without even looking at Hildeby or Akhtyamov...as we shouldn't be

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Matthews, Marner, Domi, Nylander, Tavares, Knies, McMann, Kampf, Jarnkrok have nine spots locked up. That leaves three or four for Holmberg, Robertson, Paccioretty, Dewar, Lorentz, Reaves, Steeves, Cowan, Minten, Grebenkin, and A Nylander. That's 11 guys fighting for three or four spots. They will start to push Kampf and Jarnkrok too. I feel like thar is more than previous years.

On D we have Reilly, Tanev, OEL and McCabre as four locks with Liljegren, Benoit, Hakanpaa and Timmins fighting for two or three...not to mention Niemela, Myers and Mermis.

If Murray is healthy this is a three deep competition for the crease without even looking at Hildeby or Akhtyamov...as we shouldn't be
There could be some surprises or a trade or two but things are pretty much set, IMO.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
until they achieve some type of playoff success I don't think it's unreasonable to say Tre has completely failed unless the goal is jersey sales. In professional sports winning is everything, well at least to everyone except MLSE..........

Yes a lot of the blame for the PP goes to the coaching staff, agree 100%.

Maybe it's the people calling Marner super crazy elite every time he has a good regular season game who are asking to be reminded. ;)
that guy's mantra is "do as I say, not as I do," classic confession through projection............

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't think Steeves has much shot at a spot

until they achieve some type of playoff success I don't think it's unreasonable to say Tre has completely failed unless the goal is jersey sales. In professional sports winning is everything, well at least to everyone except MLSE..........

that guy's mantra is "do as I say, not as I do," classic confession through projection............

Treliving has been here 15 months he hasn't failed yet

Reactions: conFABulator

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Last year we had Bert, Domi, Jarnkrok, Kampf, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Reaves, Tavares for 9 spots locked in
We had Abruzzese, Blandisi, Cowan, Clifford, Gregor, Gambrell, Holmberg, Knies, Lafferty, Minten, Robertson, Shaw, Steeves - 13 guys with NHL experience or a legit shot at competing for a spot
Plus Caufield, Ellis, Frasca, Hirvonen, Kressler, Lisowsky, Mastrosimone, O'Brien, Ovchinnikov, Shea, Singleton, Suthers, Tverberg, and Weiss at camp too
McMann and Voit injured.

Two years ago, Bunting, Jarnkrok, Kampf, Kerfoot, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares were locks
Anderson, Aston-Reese, Aube-Kubel, Blandisi, Clifford, Engvall, Gaudette, Holmberg, Malgin, Robertson, Shaw, Steeves were competing

2021, the last spots were battled for by Amadio, Anderson, Brooks, Clune, Engvall, Gabriel, Gusev, Ho-Sang, Ritchie, Robertson, Seney, Simmonds

etc.

I will say, I like this year's quality of competition better, I'm with you on that, but organizational depth and internal competition really hasn't been an issue for years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad