Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
I don’t love Montour as much as many others, but heck yes to Lindholm and trading Mitch and Mo.

Build down the middle, deep D and solid goaltending.

Montour is getting overpaid because he's a RHD and slots in around #2 slot with upside potential. I'm also just tired of not having a PP shot. I think if you move off Rielly you can afford to over pay him a bit.

Just imagine tho our powerplay would actually finally be nasty. Montour, Matthews on the right wing, Nylander on the left, Knies in front of the net and Lindholm as the roamer.

GG.

Reactions: arso40

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I tend to agree. Hopefully they will be a team that thinks he can be a difference maker for them and is willing to pay. Another Kadri trade would set us back a few years.

Personally I something like Raymond + 1st. Some think we could get a lot more but with Mitch asking for $12.5m, I doubt it.
Raymond from Detroit? No way the wings move him for Marner...not a chance.

Reactions: ToneDog

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I don’t love Montour as much as many others, but heck yes to Lindholm and trading Mitch and Mo.

Build down the middle, deep D and solid goaltending.
I was sold on Lindholm when he was able to stop Nylander rushing down the wing.

Literally 0 dmen were able to do that all season long. When Nylander decides he's putting on the jets on that open lane, you just have to cross your fingers your goalie makes the save.

Lindholm not only kept up with him but stopped the power cut to the inside.

Still in shock at the reaction this place had at the thought of Dubas making a push for him at the TDL. Bombarded with "The D is flawless, we don't need" :laugh::help:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I was sold on Lindholm when he was able to stop Nylander rushing down the wing.

Literally 0 dmen were able to do that all season long. When Nylander decides he's putting on the jets on that open lane, you just have to cross your fingers your goalie makes the save.

Lindholm not only kept up with him but stopped the power cut to the inside.

Still in shock at the reaction this place had at the thought of Dubas making a push for him at the TDL. Bombarded with "The D is flawless, we don't need" :laugh::help:

I don't think that's true, I think you either made that last line up, or dreamed it or something.

Nobody has ever claimed the defense was flawless, well I can think of one person here that MIGHT be delousional enough to make that claim but even then I'm not confident

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why would Marner go over? He’s going to be on the roster for the four nations cup or whatever. Tavares went to prove that he can still play international hockey at a high level. That’s how hockey Canada works and has always worked, if you’re a bubble guy for the big tournaments you’re asked to serve or play at the world championships before to help be evaluated.
I am not sure about MM being a lock in Four Nations.
McD and Hyman
Marchand and Sid
Bedard and Mack
Marchessault and Stone
Point and Cirelli
Those 10 are locks barring injuries
MM, Stammer, Hagel, the two Sams and Carter in Panthers, Horvat, and Barzal.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
McD and Hyman
Marchand and Sid
Bedard and Mack
Marchessault and Stone
Point and Cirelli

LMAO. That’s all I’m gonna say. If you think Marchessault is making team Canada over Marner idk what to tell you. That ain’t happening, Cirelli ain’t on team Canada either. Marner is pretty much a lock.

I’m not sure Marchand makes 4 nations, he’s a bubble guy. Stone, bubble guy. Hagel is not making team Canada, he is not better than Marner, Stamkos maybe. But I still think they choose Marner over him. Stone is the guy even gonna be healthy enough to play in that competition?

I know hating on Marner is the flavour of the month but Canada is taking its best. Marner is a top 2 Canadian RW.

I have yet to see a mock roster where Marner is left off and Jonathan Marchessault is on it, that’s hilarious.

Reactions: arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
McD and Hyman
Marchand and Sid
Bedard and Mack
Marchessault and Stone
Point and Cirelli

Projecting Team Canada’s 4 Nations Face-Off roster – Sportsnet.ca (Justin Bourne in his initial thoughts has Marchessault in, but then even in his article, he says what’s most likely gonna happen is Marner is in for Marchessault. I feel like he was trying not to be a leafs homer here.

Just about every mock you can find except Sportsnet, has him as a lock to make Team Canada.

Reactions: ACC1224 and arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Projecting Team Canada’s 4 Nations Face-Off roster – Sportsnet.ca (Justin Bourne in his initial thoughts has Marchessault in, but then even in his article, he says what’s most likely gonna happen is Marner is in for Marchessault. I feel like he was trying not to be a leafs homer here.

Just about every mock you can find except Sportsnet, has him as a lock to make Team Canada.
No way Is marner not on team Canada get real he's our best right winger

Reactions: francis246

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
McD and Hyman
Marchand and Sid
Bedard and Mack
Marchessault and Stone
Point and Cirelli
Marchand and Crosby need a RW and I think he’d be a great fit. There’s not a game situation they couldn't play in.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
McD and Hyman
Marchand and Sid
Bedard and Mack
Marchessault and Stone
Point and Cirelli
I think he's perfect for the tournament - it will be a friendly, low-intensity bit of meaningless fun where he'll be on a stacked team.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That’s good.

What’s also good is they announced well before the draft whereas a couple of times I seem to remember they handcuffed the GMs.

Of the total increase in cap 6.2M is already gone to Matthews and Nylander raises. We have 18.8M in cap space for next season to fill out at minimum (XXX) given players already under contract.

Knies-Matthews-Jankrok
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Cowan-Holmberg-Marner
Minten-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-XXX (1)
Benoit-McCabe
Webber -Timmins

Woll
XXX (2)
HildeBeast

RFAs: Robertson,
RFAs with Arb rights: Liljegren, Dewar, Gregor

At minimum we need to fill XXX (2)

Of the total 18.8 If we spend about 5M on RFAs (just spit balling here)
Robertson(1.5), Liljegren (2 to 2.5), Dewar (1.2 to 1.5) let Gregor walk; we are looking at the range of (4.7M to 5.5M) then if you want to give one or both of Cowan/Minten thats additional 2M (approx.) -> 18.8 - 5M - 2 = 11.8M

Basically you got 11.8M to spend in UFAs where we need based on priority at least for me:

1. Goalie
2. Top4D (targets: Pesce, DeMelo, Montour) -> if can't do that then Boosh I suppose :dunno:
3. At least ONE top6 winger (Targets at least for me: Domi, Bert, Toffoli; and Lindholm if we can dump Marner)
4. At least one bottom6 winger for PK
5. Depth D-men (I really wanna bring back Edmundson but not at a crazy cap though...)

If we dump Marner thats immediately 11M in cap space where this love could be spread around. If not, at least gotta find a way to move on from Jankrok that would give additional 2.1M AAV for a total of 11.8+2.1 = 13.9 (round it to 14M) to spend.

If we dump Marner in addition to Jankrok we will have 14+11 = 25M to spend to round out the roster.

if we can dump marner and trade Jankrok, Kampf then...

Domi-Matthews-Bert
Knies-Lindholm-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Toffoli
Holmberg/Robertson-Dewar-Reaves/XXX

Rielly Pesce/DeMelo
McCabe Montour/Benoit
Edmundson/Benoit Liljegren

Woll
XXX

Just need to figure out what we can target for a goalie.

Then when Tavares is off the cap we can worry about 3C and another roster structural change

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Treliving overpaid for Matthews and Nylander. Nylander took MLSE to the bank. Nylander still has that "ill compete when i want too" but paid like a stanley cup champ. Treliving is treading water right now.
I think they had to because Matthews hit open market someone would of overpaid the same for Nylander. At least cap went up to 3.5 million now they can resign Liljegren+Robertson etc. Bertuzzi and Domi not sure if both will re-sign or not and then comes what do for goaltending. Woll will be back and the starter goalie is up in the air at this point. It could be through trade or free agency.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think he's perfect for the tournament - it will be a friendly, low-intensity bit of meaningless fun where he'll be on a stacked team.
Are they being paid for this tourney ……..asking for a friend

I think they had to because Matthews hit open market someone would of overpaid the same for Nylander. At least cap went up to 3.5 million now they can resign Liljegren+Robertson etc. Bertuzzi and Domi not sure if both will re-sign or not and then comes what do for goaltending. Woll will be back and the starter goalie is up in the air at this point. It could be through trade or free agency.
Willy and Matthews new contracts will eat all of the cap increase so at best we won’t be upside down on that deal but certainly no further ahead

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Of the total increase in cap 6.2M is already gone to Matthews and Nylander raises. We have 18.8M in cap space for next season to fill out at minimum (XXX) given players already under contract.

Knies-Matthews-Jankrok
McMann-Tavares-Nylander
Cowan-Holmberg-Marner
Minten-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-XXX (1)
Benoit-McCabe
Webber -Timmins

Woll
XXX (2)
HildeBeast

RFAs: Robertson,
RFAs with Arb rights: Liljegren, Dewar, Gregor

At minimum we need to fill XXX (2)

Of the total 18.8 If we spend about 5M on RFAs (just spit balling here)
Robertson(1.5), Liljegren (2 to 2.5), Dewar (1.2 to 1.5) let Gregor walk; we are looking at the range of (4.7M to 5.5M) then if you want to give one or both of Cowan/Minten thats additional 2M (approx.) -> 18.8 - 5M - 2 = 11.8M

Basically you got 11.8M to spend in UFAs where we need based on priority at least for me:

1. Goalie
2. Top4D (targets: Pesce, DeMelo, Montour) -> if can't do that then Boosh I suppose :dunno:
3. At least ONE top6 winger (Targets at least for me: Domi, Bert, Toffoli; and Lindholm if we can dump Marner)
4. At least one bottom6 winger for PK
5. Depth D-men (I really wanna bring back Edmundson but not at a crazy cap though...)

If we dump Marner thats immediately 11M in cap space where this love could be spread around. If not, at least gotta find a way to move on from Jankrok that would give additional 2.1M AAV for a total of 11.8+2.1 = 13.9 (round it to 14M) to spend.

If we dump Marner in addition to Jankrok we will have 14+11 = 25M to spend to round out the roster.

if we can dump marner and trade Jankrok, Kampf then...

Domi-Matthews-Bert
Knies-Lindholm-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Toffoli
Holmberg/Robertson-Dewar-Reaves/XXX

Rielly Pesce/DeMelo
McCabe Montour/Benoit
Edmundson/Benoit Liljegren

Woll
XXX

Just need to figure out what we can target for a goalie.

Then when Tavares is off the cap we can worry about 3C and another roster structural change

We have about 21 million because you are counting Cade Webber and Conor Timmins and baring the defense being COMPLETELY destroyed by injury they are not going to be on the roster.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Rangers have 1 $10M+ player Panarin a winger
Florida have 2 $10M+ players Barkov a C and Bobbo a G
Dallas has NONE
Edmonton has 1 $10M+ player McJesus a C

So best 4 teams in PLAYOFF hockey right now have a combined 4 players at $10M+ per on their roster

We have 4 forwards (2C's and 2 wingers) making $10M+ .. we will never WIN anything in playoff hockey until we shed both JT and Mitch from da $10M club .. Mitch through trade and then JT might retire and/or sign back for NHL min (he doesn't know himself) .. even after these 2 moves get made we are still up against it to make a D core and Gs with Matty and Willy both on da roster .. they are gonna try but odds are VERY VERY VERY low even with 2 .. playoff hockey success requires DEPTH of roster and strength on D and G .. we are not even remotely close to any of da conditions required to play 4 series of grinding playoff hockey
This is so true and anyone that doesn’t understand this has no idea how building a proper team works

What the heck is this “4 nations thing”?

Reactions: Gabriel426

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Treliving overpaid for Matthews and Nylander. Nylander took MLSE to the bank. Nylander still has that "ill compete when i want too" but paid like a stanley cup champ. Treliving is treading water right now.
Not too much of an overpay for the two best players. The problem is much more the other two.

Yes, he's treading water at the moment, until he can get resolution on MM and JT, possibly not until next summer. At least he hasn't made it worse like Dubas did by trading away high picks.

Reactions: LeafEgo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is so true and anyone that doesn’t understand this has no idea how building a proper team works

What the heck is this “4 nations thing”?
I think da reason they do it is because of the corporate suits who are going for free for wine and cheese .. most know little to nothing about hockey but bring a customer and like to be entertained with goals .. so Leafs bring that to them .. and they keep coming back .. most of us hockey guys who sit up in upper deck don't care about names on back of jerseys but want team to play winning playoff type hockey .. which requires a different roster and CAP pay construction .. i think 4 nations thing is a new name because Russia is out this time around

Reactions: Racer88

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00
    Event closes