Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
One can hope, and why didn’t Marner go over to play? Guess there’s no money in it for him………

Why would Marner go over? He’s going to be on the roster for the four nations cup or whatever. Tavares went to prove that he can still play international hockey at a high level. That’s how hockey Canada works and has always worked, if you’re a bubble guy for the big tournaments you’re asked to serve or play at the world championships before to help be evaluated.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Well that was special.

:laugh:

I really liked it when Tre mentioned in the press conference about how the Leafs have often made the opposing goalie look like a Vezina winner. Far too often that was one of the many excuses used to take the blame off of this core!

Okay, thanks for clarifying.
I like the fact he said they MAKE an opposing goalie look like a Vezina winner instead of the usual Dubas line of "We ran into a hot goalie...it happens" over and over again along with the all time favorites of "Trust the Process...You have to look at results in a vacuum...Hockey is random....and our PP will be our enforcer"

Reactions: Captain Crunch

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So apparently Leafs are trying to lock both Domi and Bert for 5 to 6 year term at 5 to 6 AAV

Treliving man can we get some discount on thos deals if they are getting terms COME ON

Bert IMO didn't even have a 5.5 AAV season to begin with
Neither of them had 5m seasons. They are both 4m players. I think they both run into a lot of injury issues. Term should ensure the 4-4.5m range.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Speculation I suppose.... Saw it on twitter

I don't have athletic and won't pay for it on principle because I absolutely despise people like mirtle and I will not be paying his salary LOL but...

Also the NYTimes article from LeBrun's tweet is behind a paywall so....

That would almost assure they’d never be competitive. Domi was their best playoff performer, but he cannot carry a team. They need better players at 6 million AAV.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd be fine giving Domi and Bert the 8.5 they made last season combined. They can divide it up how they want.
They’re not strong in any aspect of the team so I’m not sure why they’d want to spend that kind of money on guys they know cant play. Domi at 4 or less is great, but it won’t matter if they don’t address the basics.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
They’re not strong in any aspect of the team so I’m not sure why they’d want to spend that kind of money on guys they know cant play. Domi at 4 or less is great, but it won’t matter if they don’t address the basics.
For sure. Gotta address the real issues one of these decades.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Treliving show he's not what working for shitty Calgary made it seem like he was.

Letting Keefe have one more chance to stay as coach long term instead of bringing his own guy right away display this. He's going to be a fluid GM and doesn't seem to have an ego.

I take all the nice thing I said back if he goes with Liljegren in the Montour role again though.

Last edited:

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Treliving show he's not what working for shitty Calgary made it seem like he was.

Letting Keefe have one more chance to stay as coach long term instead of bringing his own guy right away display this. He's going to be a fluid GM and doesn't seem to have an ego.

I take all the nice thing I said back if he goes with Liljegren in the Montour role again though.
This season will prove the "fluid".

Thank you for taking a stab at the grit issue and making us a punishing team in the dzone but now focus needs to be on that horrible transition game that we butchered to the point it's not even worthy being ranked dead last in the league. There's AHL teams who can smoke our transition game (excluding when Nylander or Marner circle back) over the last 3-4 years.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This core has NEVER been able to get it done in the playoffs! I’m glad that boy wonder was fired last offseason, it’s just too bad Shanahan wasn’t. EVERYBODY except those two knew that paying 4 forwards the money they were being paid could not win a Cup! And that is on them, and them alone!

Marner is not worth what he’s being paid by at least $2 million, and he’ll be looking for a raise on his next contract. Matthews is already signed, so hopefully he can start playing like the top paid player should, in the playoffs. Nylander has been okay, but nothing that makes you think he can be the difference maker in a playoff run. Tavares was the top UFA player when he was signed. He was paid like that kind of player should be. Everyone knew it would not age well, and it was worse because of all the playoff failures. He has one year left with a full NMC, so he’ll be back. And that brings us back to Marner. This team needs a much better balance in how the cap is allocated. Therefore Marner needs to go in order for that to happen, so I am hoping that Tre will be able to move him if for nothing more than the extra cap space that would create.

It was so refreshing to see Shanahan in that press conference with the look of someone who knows that his time is coming to an end!
Our core players have performed well in playoff series a number of times. A cup can absolutely be won paying four forwards that much money, and every hockey executive we've had past or present has understood that. And every single one - including Treliving multiple times in the most recent press conference - has also explained that having them take up the percentage they do was never the plan in the first place. And even if you want to be angry about it, your assigning of blame doesn't work, because either Shanahan is dictating this, or the decision was in the hands of the GM and both Dubas and Treliving did the same thing.

Marner is absolutely worth his contract. I mean, even beyond that objective fact, one would think these rumours of re-signing Bertuzzi/Domi for the amount Marner makes should be a wake up call for how easily cap space gets wasted on mediocre mid-tier players, and how having cap space doesn't fix everything. We do need better balance, but that doesn't mean trading our best players. It means going back to focusing on a wide variety of attributes and positions, instead of putting even more money into forwards and focusing so heavily on useless snot and overloading one-dimensional players.

Shanahan looking like a broken, clueless man with zero answers that has abandoned his principles and convictions out of fear was not refreshing or reassuring at all.
I'm not a big fan of watching my top team unnecessarily crumble into dust.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Our core players have performed well in playoff series a number of times. A cup can absolutely be won paying four forwards that much money, and every hockey executive we've had past or present has understood that. And every single one - including Treliving multiple times in the most recent press conference - has also explained that having them take up the percentage they do was never the plan in the first place. And even if you want to be angry about it, your assigning of blame doesn't work, because either Shanahan is dictating this, or the decision was in the hands of the GM and both Dubas and Treliving did the same thing.

Marner is absolutely worth his contract. I mean, even beyond that objective fact, one would think these rumours of re-signing Bertuzzi/Domi for the amount Marner makes should be a wake up call for how easily cap space gets wasted on mediocre mid-tier players, and how having cap space doesn't fix everything. We do need better balance, but that doesn't mean trading our best players. It means going back to focusing on a wide variety of attributes and positions, instead of putting even more money into forwards and focusing so heavily on useless snot and overloading one-dimensional players.

Shanahan looking like a broken, clueless man with zero answers that has abandoned his principles and convictions out of fear was not refreshing or reassuring at all.
When the cap is eventually enough to be paying 4 forwards that much money, then that MIGHT happen. But then, of course, you have to take into account that the salaries will also be going up. The core 4 took up basically 49% (so we could even say 50%) of the salary cap up until the end of this season. I will say that you are the smartest person alive if ANY team wins the Cup with 4 forwards taking up 49% of the cap! These Leafs have NEVER come close to winning it with their cap allotment! So I am not worried in the least that EVER happens! Lol

Marner is worth his contract IF you only took his regular season stats into account. He has consistently disappeared in the playoffs the longer the series went, and he is the definition of a perimeter player who will not play in the dirty areas of the ice! That is why I say he is not worth his contract! I totally agree about cap space being wasted on mid-tier players, but when the GM has to basically scrape the bottom of the barrel to find good support players due to cap constraints, there's not much he can do. We definitely need better balance, which brings us right back to the core 4 taking up 49% of the cap, leaving not nearly enough to better balance this roster!

I choose to believe that Pelley meant what he said at the press conference, that this team's performance over all the playoff failures is totally unacceptable, and why change is needed. I am also choosing to believe that Tre and Berube know what changes need to occur, and which player(s) do not fit the mold needed. The "Shanaplan" was doomed the moment he gave into this core's contract demands. The constant playoff failures left no doubt about that! It is so refreshing to know that a new voice is now in charge!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is going to be an exciting summer for Treliving and Leaf Nation fans, because it officially began with the firing of Keef,e and now we can officially say we have a real NHL qualified GM and also real proven Cup winning NHL coach in charge, with a new CEO voice that is drowning out Shanahan and his decade long failed plan. :clap:

1716819895739.png

Craig Berube is officially Trevling first major step of putting his permanent stamp on the Leafs. With a coach who loves to play big, physical heavy hockey, holding players accountable and expecting them to compete hard and finish every check and battle hard for pucks, as Treliving now sets out to bring the player personnel that his hand picked coach needs to be successful.

In April 2019, Craig Berube, Jon Cooper, and Barry Trotz were announced as the finalists for the Jack Adams Award as best coach, and a few months later St Louis Blues were hoisting the Stanley Cup.

So as this new season starts Treliving is off to a A+.

My expectations are running high that we're in for the summer of change with major upgrades in net and on defense and accountability now on and off the ice.

Last edited:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rangers have 1 $10M+ player Panarin a winger
Florida have 2 $10M+ players Barkov a C and Bobbo a G
Dallas has NONE
Edmonton has 1 $10M+ player McJesus a C

So best 4 teams in PLAYOFF hockey right now have a combined 4 players at $10M+ per on their roster

We have 4 forwards (2C's and 2 wingers) making $10M+ .. we will never WIN anything in playoff hockey until we shed both JT and Mitch from da $10M club .. Mitch through trade and then JT might retire and/or sign back for NHL min (he doesn't know himself) .. even after these 2 moves get made we are still up against it to make a D core and Gs with Matty and Willy both on da roster .. they are gonna try but odds are VERY VERY VERY low even with 2 .. playoff hockey success requires DEPTH of roster and strength on D and G .. we are not even remotely close to any of da conditions required to play 4 series of grinding playoff hockey

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

It’s just too bad we were so unlucky all these years. Perfect Dubas built a perfect team and just ran into bad bounces every year!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Tre better put up or shut up, he’s had more than enough time to figure out what we all know is the problem with this team, and I think he made some good moves last season. That being said I have to believe Shanahan was behind the Nylander extension because that was a stupid move at the wrong time………

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

tumblr_m0uq2tfWDH1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Dallas has NONE

So best 4 teams in PLAYOFF hockey right now have a combined 4 players at $10M+ per on their roster

We have 4 forwards (2C's and 2 wingers) making $10M+ .. we will never WIN anything in playoff hockey until we shed both JT and Mitch from da $10M club .. Mitch through trade and then JT might retire and/or sign back for NHL min (he doesn't know himself) .. even after these 2 moves get made we are still up against it to make a D core and Gs with Matty and Willy both on da roster .. they are gonna try but odds are VERY VERY VERY low even with 2 .. playoff hockey success requires DEPTH of roster and strength on D and G .. we are not even remotely close to any of da conditions required to play 4 series of grinding playoff hockey
THREAD WINNER! :thumbu:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dallas has NONE

Benn, Seguin, Hintz, Tkachuk, and Nurse have a combined savings on the 10mil mark that’s less than Brodie’s cap hit sitting on the bench. I might be missing someone but I think Kampf would be the most expensive 4th liner on any of those teams other than Goodrow and Reaves would be top 5 most expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad