Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So apparently Leafs are trying to lock both Domi and Bert for 5 to 6 year term at 5 to 6 AAV

Treliving man can we get some discount on thos deals if they are getting terms COME ON

Bert IMO didn't even have a 5.5 AAV season to begin with
Where did you hear that? I don’t mind Domi, but not at that term or AAV.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
It was always Reaves vs Lafferty... I still think most people think signing Reaves for 3 years at a cap that isn't fully buriable is a mistake.

Maybe Reaves gets better next year though at 38, who knows.
I thought there was something in the contract that would allow the Leafs to send him to the Marlies after the first season and that it would lessen what his cap hit would be? Or was I dreaming?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Pretty much everyone produces less in the playoffs, because the games get tighter. What is more significant than just the drop is the amount of change. For the 'core 4':

Matthews - 1.15 to 0.87 - 28 point drop or 24%
Marner - 1.11 to 0.88 - 23 point drop or 21%
Tavares - 0.94 to 0.74 - 20 point drop or 21%
Nylander - 0.88 to 0.80 - 8 point drop or 9%
I am so thankful and relieved that the “Shanaplan” has finally ended. It’s just too bad that it didn’t happen many years and first round exits sooner!

horner

May 22, 2007
So apparently Leafs are trying to lock both Domi and Bert for 5 to 6 year term at 5 to 6 AAV

Treliving man can we get some discount on thos deals if they are getting terms COME ON

Where did you hear that ?
Source

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Opponent quality is relevant. It's pretty natural to see lesser production against higher quality opposition or higher quality defenses. But Matthews doesn't seem to have any unique issue with this. He produced well against playoff teams this year, and he produced well against past playoff opponents in the seasons he faced them.

Matthews' career playoff production has been impacted by a number of things, from starting so young against the behemoths of the hockey world, to injuries and the goaltending he's faced, and more. It's not any one thing, and there have been times when he's produced very well. Even when he's not, he still gets chances, his line still gets chances, and he still drives and controls the flow of play and tends to outscore the other team. He still goes to the dirty areas. He still battles along the boards. He still plays defense. Hits. Blocks shots. Etc. I'd be more concerned if everything fell off, instead of just conversion. And even continued conversion struggles would be more concerning if it didn't correlate so well with his injuries, similar conversion struggles throughout the rest of the team, and similar conversion struggles by other teams that face the same goaltenders after us.

Pretty much everything points to either external goaltending impacts compounded by injuries and/or a systemic issue much more than a player issue.
This core has NEVER been able to get it done in the playoffs! I’m glad that boy wonder was fired last offseason, it’s just too bad Shanahan wasn’t. EVERYBODY except those two knew that paying 4 forwards the money they were being paid could not win a Cup! And that is on them, and them alone!

Marner is not worth what he’s being paid by at least $2 million, and he’ll be looking for a raise on his next contract. Matthews is already signed, so hopefully he can start playing like the top paid player should, in the playoffs. Nylander has been okay, but nothing that makes you think he can be the difference maker in a playoff run. Tavares was the top UFA player when he was signed. He was paid like that kind of player should be. Everyone knew it would not age well, and it was worse because of all the playoff failures. He has one year left with a full NMC, so he’ll be back. And that brings us back to Marner. This team needs a much better balance in how the cap is allocated. Therefore Marner needs to go in order for that to happen, so I am hoping that Tre will be able to move him if for nothing more than the extra cap space that would create.

It was so refreshing to see Shanahan in that press conference with the look of someone who knows that his time is coming to an end!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I thought there was something in the contract that would allow the Leafs to send him to the Marlies after the first season and that it would lessen what his cap hit would be? Or was I dreaming?

1.15 million of Reaves salary is able to be burried in the minors as per the cba, but there's no special clause in his contract

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1.15 million of Reaves salary is able to be burried in the minors as per the cba, but there's no special clause in his contract

The special clause is probably the fact he isn't under the +35 restrictions.

His contract can be treated like any other, and not +35 protection.

While this is a 35+ contract, it is exempt from the 35+ buyout rules because it is either 1). One year in length, or 2). Not front-loaded and does not have a signing bonus after the first contract year (as per the 2020 MOU). Please see the Buyout FAQ for more information

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
One reason is the quality of opponent is much higher in the playoffs...

I believe 50% of the series they've played in, it has been a Vezina winner, and virtually every series has been against a team who plays a very good defensive game or has a great goalie.

Not excusing the drop-off, but it isn't like the Leafs get to play LA every first round.

Is there a history of him playing bad players if there is a better one?

Reaves proved he was serviceable last year, but I'd hope they would try to improve at 3RW and move Jarnkrok down to 4RW.
I really liked it when Tre mentioned in the press conference about how the Leafs have often made the opposing goalie look like a Vezina winner. Far too often that was one of the many excuses used to take the blame off of this core!

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by a moderator:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I really liked it when Tre mentioned in the press conference about how the Leafs have often made the opposing goalie look like a Vezina winner. Far too often that was one of the many excuses used to take the blame off of this core!

They've made Vezina winners look like Vezina winners.

They need to finish, but my point was that they are playing sound defensive teams with good goalies, they have had no easy series when it comes to scoring.

It isn't a 35+ contract, so all but 200k can be buried.

The bigger issue is I think they don't want to bury it.

I didn't mind his play most of the year, but they should be trying to upgrade.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Treliving evaluation really is in play now.

Last year was a free ride for him.

At best give him a conditional pass.

He should get judged for last year, but not too harshly.

His moves around trade deadline were more confusing than at the start of the year.

The start of the year and what he brought in at the deadline were complete opposites.

At least during the offseason, it looked like he was trying to address our scoring issues with depth and the backend, even if some of the signings were 5 years too late (that's another issue, it felt like he chased names only), the intent was there.

At the deadline he abandoned that, loaded up on low-skill players who only defend and once again we struggled to score, it made no sense.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
He should get judged for last year, but not too harshly.

His moves around trade deadline were more confusing than at the start of the year.

The start of the year and what he brought in at the deadline were complete opposites.

At least during the offseason, it looked like he was trying to address our scoring issues with depth and the backend, even if some of the signings were 5 years too late (that's another issue, it felt like he chased names only), the intent was there.

At the deadline he abandoned that, loaded up on low-skill players who only defend and once again we struggled to score, it made no sense.
His deadline moves were okay. The Leafs went all in the year before. The past season he tried putting band aids on gaping wounds. Didn't help much, agreed. We weren't winning the Cup anyways. He didn't trade away our first pick or any of our better prospects. He took a step back which was needed. We agree on going forward from here will determine how well Brad does. He is shaping the team how he sees it in his eyes and now has the coach to hopefully take it forward.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
This core has NEVER been able to get it done in the playoffs! I’m glad that boy wonder was fired last offseason, it’s just too bad Shanahan wasn’t. EVERYBODY except those two knew that paying 4 forwards the money they were being paid could not win a Cup! And that is on them, and them alone!

Marner is not worth what he’s being paid by at least $2 million, and he’ll be looking for a raise on his next contract. Matthews is already signed, so hopefully he can start playing like the top paid player should, in the playoffs. Nylander has been okay, but nothing that makes you think he can be the difference maker in a playoff run. Tavares was the top UFA player when he was signed. He was paid like that kind of player should be. Everyone knew it would not age well, and it was worse because of all the playoff failures. He has one year left with a full NMC, so he’ll be back. And that brings us back to Marner. This team needs a much better balance in how the cap is allocated. Therefore Marner needs to go in order for that to happen, so I am hoping that Tre will be able to move him if for nothing more than the extra cap space that would create.

It was so refreshing to see Shanahan in that press conference with the look of someone who knows that his time is coming to an end!

I would say Nylander deserves a shot in the postseason without deadweight linemates.

Tavares has been a corpse since 2021.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
His deadline moves were okay. The Leafs went all in the year before. The past season he tried putting band aids on gaping wounds. Didn't help much, agreed. We weren't winning the Cup anyways. He didn't trade away our first pick or any of our better prospects. He took a step back which was needed. We agree on going forward from here will determine how well Brad does. He is shaping the team how he sees it in his eyes and now has the coach to hopefully take it forward.

His vision at the start of the year differs from mid-year, he also still spent 6 picks, and lower picks still count, so he thought there was a chance.

I don't understand his vision yet of how guys play in between the whistles...

I still think he can be judged on the moves he made and they were mostly not good.

But yes, moving forward he can be judged more harshly... just not sure about what his vision was this year.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Got any proof of this???

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Keefe = OUT

Samsonov & Murray = OUT

Brodie & Giordano = OUT

= Good start !!!

The further Treliving moves to cleansing the Leafs from the Dubas years of disaster the further towards potentially success is also possible.

Once BT can get out from under the Tavares cap busting contract, the better off he & we'll be.

Pretty soon there won't be much remnants of the past from a regrettable GM around to remind Leaf Nation of an era we would all sooner rather forget ever happened.

Last edited:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
His vision at the start of the year differs from mid-year

You have no idea what his vision is or was.

he also still spent 6 picks, and lower picks still count

No, they don't.

so he thought there was a chance.

You have no idea what he thought.

I don't understand his vision yet of how guys play in between the whistles...

It ain't for you to understand.

I still think he can be judged on the moves he made and they were mostly not good.

:laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Got any proof of this???

A report from Pierre LeBrun on Max Domi's projected extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs is being met with heavy skepticism.​

On Friday, LeBrun dropped a report, suggesting that we could see Max Domi fall into the $5M-$6M range over a 6-year term with the Maple Leafs, which created quite the stir given the lofty AAV and lengthy term.

Now, a fellow writer for The Athletic, Kevin Papetti, is suggesting that Domi's contract won't be anywhere near LeBrun's estimate, much to the relief of fans in Leafs Nation. Why is he so sure? Well, for starters, Domi's recent contract history is a pretty good indicator as to how he's been valued around the league.

As Papetti points out, here are the last 4 contracts Domi has signed. A common theme here is low-term, and while he did eclipse the $5M AAV once in the last 4 sets of negotiations, his last 2 deals were well under that mark.

Reactions: PromisedLand

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

A report from Pierre LeBrun on Max Domi's projected extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs is being met with heavy skepticism.​

On Friday, LeBrun dropped a report, suggesting that we could see Max Domi fall into the $5M-$6M range over a 6-year term with the Maple Leafs, which created quite the stir given the lofty AAV and lengthy term.

Now, a fellow writer for The Athletic, Kevin Papetti, is suggesting that Domi's contract won't be anywhere near LeBrun's estimate, much to the relief of fans in Leafs Nation. Why is he so sure? Well, for starters, Domi's recent contract history is a pretty good indicator as to how he's been valued around the league.

As Papetti points out, here are the last 4 contracts Domi has signed. A common theme here is low-term, and while he did eclipse the $5M AAV once in the last 4 sets of negotiations, his last 2 deals were well under that mark.
Cant afford him. 4m and term is tops and even then.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Where did you hear that? I don’t mind Domi, but not at that term or AAV.

Where did you hear that ?
Source

Got any proof of this???

Speculation I suppose.... Saw it on twitter

I don't have athletic and won't pay for it on principle because I absolutely despise people like mirtle and I will not be paying his salary LOL but...

Also the NYTimes article from LeBrun's tweet is behind a paywall so....

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You have no idea what his vision is or was.

Not sure he does either based on his moves.

No, they don't.

Lower picks don't count as picks? News to me.

You have no idea what he thought.

Wasting picks at the deadline when he thinks there is no chance is idiotic, so either he is an idiot or thought there was a chance, your choice.

It ain't for you to understand.

:laugh:

0/10 English

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I don't have athletic and won't pay for it on principle because I absolutely despise people like mirtle and I will not be paying his salary LOL but...

You’d have to think someone from the core is moving if they are giving Bertuzzi/Domi the combined salary of Marner/Tavares. Speculation of course but we haven’t even addressed goalie/D.
You would have almost 60 million on those 2 guys + core.

Reactions: PromisedLand

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Domi and Bert need to come in at around 8/9m combined max. If we shoot over 10m with them we overpaid likely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad