Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
This is going to be an exciting summer for Treliving and Leaf Nation fans, because it officially began with the firing of Keef,e and now we can officially say we have a real NHL qualified GM and also real proven Cup winning NHL coach in charge, with a new CEO voice that is drowning out Shanahan and his decade long failed plan. :clap:

View attachment 876221

Craig Berube is officially Trevling first major step of putting his permanent stamp on the Leafs. With a coach who loves to play big, physical heavy hockey, holding players accountable and expecting them to compete hard and finish every check and battle hard for pucks, as Treliving now sets out to bring the player personnel that his hand picked coach needs to be successful.

In April 2019, Craig Berube, Jon Cooper, and Barry Trotz were announced as the finalists for the Jack Adams Award as best coach, and a few months later St Louis Blues were hoisting the Stanley Cup.

So as this new season starts Treliving is off to a A+.

My expectations are running high that we're in for the summer of change with major upgrades in net and on defense and accountability now on and off the ice.
Great post, Mess! I, too, am very excited about this offseason and what changes will be made to this lineup.

Rangers have 1 $10M+ player Panarin a winger
Florida have 2 $10M+ players Barkov a C and Bobbo a G
Dallas has NONE
Edmonton has 1 $10M+ player McJesus a C

So best 4 teams in PLAYOFF hockey right now have a combined 4 players at $10M+ per on their roster

We have 4 forwards (2C's and 2 wingers) making $10M+ .. we will never WIN anything in playoff hockey until we shed both JT and Mitch from da $10M club .. Mitch through trade and then JT might retire and/or sign back for NHL min (he doesn't know himself) .. even after these 2 moves get made we are still up against it to make a D core and Gs with Matty and Willy both on da roster .. they are gonna try but odds are VERY VERY VERY low even with 2 .. playoff hockey success requires DEPTH of roster and strength on D and G .. we are not even remotely close to any of da conditions required to play 4 series of grinding playoff hockey
Great post!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When the cap is eventually enough to be paying 4 forwards that much money, then that MIGHT happen. But then, of course, you have to take into account that the salaries will also be going up. The core 4 took up basically 49% (so we could even say 50%) of the salary cap up until the end of this season. I will say that you are the smartest person alive if ANY team wins the Cup with 4 forwards taking up 49% of the cap! These Leafs have NEVER come close to winning it with their cap allotment! So I am not worried in the least that EVER happens! Lol

Marner is worth his contract IF you only took his regular season stats into account. He has consistently disappeared in the playoffs the longer the series went, and he is the definition of a perimeter player who will not play in the dirty areas of the ice! That is why I say he is not worth his contract! I totally agree about cap space being wasted on mid-tier players, but when the GM has to basically scrape the bottom of the barrel to find good support players due to cap constraints, there's not much he can do. We definitely need better balance, which brings us right back to the core 4 taking up 49% of the cap, leaving not nearly enough to better balance this roster!

I choose to believe that Pelley meant what he said at the press conference, that this team's performance over all the playoff failures is totally unacceptable, and why change is needed. I am also choosing to believe that Tre and Berube know what changes need to occur, and which player(s) do not fit the mold needed. The "Shanaplan" was doomed the moment he gave into this core's contract demands. The constant playoff failures left no doubt about that! It is so refreshing to know that a new voice is now in charge!
You could conceivably win with 4 players making 50% of the cap, but they’d have to be great players. When Max Domi is better than Mitchy Kerfoot, it’s impossible to win.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
You could conceivably win with 4 players making 50% of the cap, but they’d have to be great players. When Max Domi is better than Mitchy Kerfoot, it’s impossible to win.
It might happen if say, two were McDavid and Drai, one was Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, or Miro Heiskanen, and the 4th was Vasi in his prime. But even then it would be most unlikely.
As for Mitchy, it will be good to see him go.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So apparently Leafs are trying to lock both Domi and Bert for 5 to 6 year term at 5 to 6 AAV

Treliving man can we get some discount on thos deals if they are getting terms COME ON

Bert IMO didn't even have a 5.5 AAV season to begin with

That's not what was said at all.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When the cap is eventually enough to be paying 4 forwards that much money, then that MIGHT happen. But then, of course, you have to take into account that the salaries will also be going up. The core 4 took up basically 49% (so we could even say 50%) of the salary cap up until the end of this season. I will say that you are the smartest person alive if ANY team wins the Cup with 4 forwards taking up 49% of the cap! These Leafs have NEVER come close to winning it with their cap allotment! So I am not worried in the least that EVER happens! Lol

Marner is worth his contract IF you only took his regular season stats into account. He has consistently disappeared in the playoffs the longer the series went, and he is the definition of a perimeter player who will not play in the dirty areas of the ice! That is why I say he is not worth his contract! I totally agree about cap space being wasted on mid-tier players, but when the GM has to basically scrape the bottom of the barrel to find good support players due to cap constraints, there's not much he can do. We definitely need better balance, which brings us right back to the core 4 taking up 49% of the cap, leaving not nearly enough to better balance this roster!

I choose to believe that Pelley meant what he said at the press conference, that this team's performance over all the playoff failures is totally unacceptable, and why change is needed. I am also choosing to believe that Tre and Berube know what changes need to occur, and which player(s) do not fit the mold needed. The "Shanaplan" was doomed the moment he gave into this core's contract demands. The constant playoff failures left no doubt about that! It is so refreshing to know that a new voice is now in charge!
The cap is already enough to be paying 4 forwards that much money. There is enough money to fill out the rest of the roster with proper management. There is enough money to have good balance, like we have in past years. It certainly would have been easier if the cap behaved in the way that it always had, and in the way that was unanimously projected prior to the sudden global pandemic causing a billion dollar player debt that stagnated the cap. Those 4 would currently be at a normal percentage. But you do the best you can with the hand you're dealt, and we did. With good GMing, we built one of the best teams in the league, through a period of stagnant cap and rebuilding our prospect pool. Now, we finally have the cap rising and plenty of internal help, and yet some are eager to destroy everything, based on their faulty perception of prior barriers that aren't even barriers moving forward. We have had good support players over the years, and cups are not won on the back of buying high priced mid-tier support players. The support systems of cup teams are often built with cap-efficient pieces that outperform their contracts. Kinda like we used to do. What critical player from a cup team do you think we were prevented from acquiring due to cap?

I'm not really sure where this optimism is coming from. Pelley said a whole bunch of things we've heard before; only with a whole bunch more "chemistry and unity" corporate buzzwords. His history doesn't inspire confidence, and not only did he keep Shanahan, he said that he'd be largely hands off. That means Shanahan is still in charge. Shanahan was just a mess in that conference. Seems to have abandoned his entire belief system out of fear, while completely clueless about an actual effective alternate plan forward. He kept Treliving after a bigger self-inflicted failure than the previous results you've rallied against. Treliving also doesn't have a great history as a GM. He shared the same plan for the core (that you dislike) as the previous guy, and while he may be open to changing it now as more time passes and information and pressure gets added, his history of dealing with elite players or trading elite players is horrible. He lost Gaudreau in UFA. The Tkachuk trade damaged his team and gave them one of the biggest anchors in the league. And surprise surprise, Tkachuk, one of the biggest perceived playoff underperformers in the league went on to become everybody's favourite playoff hero. You blame the core contracts for everything, and yet you support Treliving, who has signed the two worst core contracts in the Matthews era?

Marner is worth his contract. Full stop. He has not "consistently disappeared in the playoffs", he goes to the dirty areas, and he is no more of a perimeter player than any other playmaker. Some don't like to hear it, but the perimeter of the offensive zone is also in fact a useful area of the ice. Especially when you're using it to open up space and make passes to the inside slot and net. If we trade Marner, this fanbase will regret it. It will be wasted on players like Bertuzzi and Domi, and he will continue on to a successful playoff career. We have heard about the mid-tier players we moved on from for good reasons for years. We will hear about moving on from an elite player for bad reasons for decades, especially if the most likely scenario happens and this team's cup potential is shattered.
It’s just too bad we were so unlucky all these years. Perfect Dubas built a perfect team and just ran into bad bounces every year!
No team or GM is perfect. If you want to believe that the only options are "bad luck" or horrible GMing, that's your choice, but you seemed to have a different position when it came to Treliving.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No team or GM is perfect

Don’t change now!! Dubas was perfect! Never made one mistake.

If you want to believe that the only options are "bad luck" or horrible GMing, that's your choice

I don’t believe that. I’m just making fun of you for believing Dubas’ only downfall was bad luck.

you seemed to have a different position when it came to Treliving.

Do you own a mirror?

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
My dream offseason is trade Marner and Rielly for a top 6 winger and futures. Sign Lindholm and Montour. Keep Domi and bam. The entire offense is radically different.

Domi Matthews top 6 guy
Knies Lindholm Nylander

I like signing Montour and Lindholm, because they're coming off relatively down seasons with potential for upside. This means we won't get killed on term and pay. Lindholm could be a good fit as he's very good defensively, but still capable of putting up the points.

On the other bright side, these guys match our timeline, which is Matthew's contract.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Don’t change now!! Dubas was perfect! Never made one mistake.
I don’t believe that. I’m just making fun of you for believing Dubas’ only downfall was bad luck.
Do you own a mirror?
I've always said that no team or GM is perfect, and I do not believe that his only downfall was bad luck. You're the only one that's ever said that.
My positions, methods of evaluation, consideration of context, etc. have all remained consistent. Yours haven't, and you've refused to answer simple questions to establish a position.
If the team wasn't making stupid decisions, going in a misguided direction, and getting worse, Treliving would be fine.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I've always said that no team or GM is perfect

Sure you’ve said it, but what so you believe in the core of your being? Dubas is perfect!

I do not believe that his only downfall was bad luck.

The flat cap. We got goalied. All excuses. None of them something Dubas could have possibly prevented. If he could have, he would have. He's perfect.

You're the only one that's ever said that.

I said it. You believed it.

My positions, methods of evaluation, consideration of context, etc. have all remained consistent.

They have remained consistent.... Say anything - no matter how nonsensical, no matter how contradictory, no matter how dishonest - to portray Dubas as infallible.

If the team wasn't making stupid decisions, going in a misguided direction, and getting worse, Treliving would be fine.

You keep saying that, but can never seem to identify a "stupid decision" that actually sent the team in any kind of direction that made them in any way worse. Even if any his off-season signings didn't work out, they were all one year signings, which isn't really a direction.

You have claimed that signing Samsonov was stupid.... while simultaneously arguing that Dubas left Treliving in a great situation in net.

You've claimed that adding the likes of Domi and Bertuzzi was stupid because grit isn't useful.... while simultaneously arguing that Dubas values grit because he added gritty guys.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
The cap is already enough to be paying 4 forwards that much money. There is enough money to fill out the rest of the roster with proper management. There is enough money to have good balance, like we have in past years. It certainly would have been easier if the cap behaved in the way that it always had, and in the way that was unanimously projected prior to the sudden global pandemic causing a billion dollar player debt that stagnated the cap. Those 4 would currently be at a normal percentage. But you do the best you can with the hand you're dealt, and we did. With good GMing, we built one of the best teams in the league, through a period of stagnant cap and rebuilding our prospect pool. Now, we finally have the cap rising and plenty of internal help, and yet some are eager to destroy everything, based on their faulty perception of prior barriers that aren't even barriers moving forward. We have had good support players over the years, and cups are not won on the back of buying high priced mid-tier support players. The support systems of cup teams are often built with cap-efficient pieces that outperform their contracts. Kinda like we used to do. What critical player from a cup team do you think we were prevented from acquiring due to cap?

I'm not really sure where this optimism is coming from. Pelley said a whole bunch of things we've heard before; only with a whole bunch more "chemistry and unity" corporate buzzwords. His history doesn't inspire confidence, and not only did he keep Shanahan, he said that he'd be largely hands off. That means Shanahan is still in charge. Shanahan was just a mess in that conference. Seems to have abandoned his entire belief system out of fear, while completely clueless about an actual effective alternate plan forward. He kept Treliving after a bigger self-inflicted failure than the previous results you've rallied against. Treliving also doesn't have a great history as a GM. He shared the same plan for the core (that you dislike) as the previous guy, and while he may be open to changing it now as more time passes and information and pressure gets added, his history of dealing with elite players or trading elite players is horrible. He lost Gaudreau in UFA. The Tkachuk trade damaged his team and gave them one of the biggest anchors in the league. And surprise surprise, Tkachuk, one of the biggest perceived playoff underperformers in the league went on to become everybody's favourite playoff hero. You blame the core contracts for everything, and yet you support Treliving, who has signed the two worst core contracts in the Matthews era?

Marner is worth his contract
. Full stop. He has not "consistently disappeared in the playoffs", he goes to the dirty areas, and he is no more of a perimeter player than any other playmaker. Some don't like to hear it, but the perimeter of the offensive zone is also in fact a useful area of the ice. Especially when you're using it to open up space and make passes to the inside slot and net. If we trade Marner, this fanbase will regret it. It will be wasted on players like Bertuzzi and Domi, and he will continue on to a successful playoff career. We have heard about the mid-tier players we moved on from for good reasons for years. We will hear about moving on from an elite player for bad reasons for decades, especially if the most likely scenario happens and this team's cup potential is shattered.

No team or GM is perfect. If you want to believe that the only options are "bad luck" or horrible GMing, that's your choice, but you seemed to have a different position when it came to Treliving.
I could have bolded this whole thing, Dekes. Wow! Where do I begin?

Let’s start with your feeble attempt to support Shanahan for giving the core those outrageous contracts. You say they are worth every penny, yet in 8 consecutive playoffs they have won one measly round, and even then, they went out in relatively quick fashion (5 games, with some no shows in there as well) in the next round! After every lost playoff round NOT ONCE did we hear any of this core put the blame on their shoulders! Also, why did he give them the amount he did on those contracts? This is mind-blowing:

Matthews inked a five-year, $58.17-million US agreement with Toronto just after the all-star break, setting a bar for his generation of players coming out of their entry-level deals with regard to both dollars and term thanks to a deal that will walk him into unrestricted free agency at age 26. Then they did the same for Marner!
And Shanahan has just done the same thing again with Matthews!

And you may be right about being able to pay 4 core players almost 50% of the cap and still being a legitimate Cup contender, but it won't be by paying it to 4 forwards. You might stand a chance by paying it to two elite forwards, one of which would have to be a center. The other two players would need to be a stud #1 dman and a bonafide #1 goalie. An exception to this rule would be Vegas whose goalies were not #1s, but they had a stacked group of dmen to counter that.

I have no clue as to why you think Shanahan is still in charge! It was very clear that Tre will be the one calling the shots now, and having brought in Berube to be the coach solidifies the change in how this team needs to be constructed. Shanahan will be the one reporting to Pelley and the board, but it will be what Tre recommends, not him.
I blame the core contracts for this pathetic/historic run of playoff ineptitude, but those exorbitant contracts are on Shanahan and the board!

I find it amusing how, in one instance you are condemning Tre for what he has done, and then later you say no GM is perfect. Well, which one is it? When he came in last year his hands were tied with regards to getting Matthews and Nylander signed to new contracts. Shanahan had already told the core they were coming back, so I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have also decided how much they would get. As I said earlier, this is the second straight time that Matthews got exactly what he wanted.

Signing Klingberg was the exact type of dman they needed, someone who could run a PP, who would be a threat to shoot from the point thus forcing the PKers to respect him, thus creating more space for the rest of the core. It is unfortunate how he sufferd what could be a career ending injury, but Tre had no idea that would happen. Bertuzzi was overpaid, no doubt about it, but at least he would make an impact in games, especially in the playoffs. And Domi was able to live up to his contract a bit more once he was put on Matthews' wing. Also, both players brought the snot into the lineup that the Leafs had been lacking. The Reaves' signing was also not very good, but his play did improve towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.

As for Marner, it is laughable what you said! He isn't even worth his contract if you only take the regular season into account. And please find me a video clip of Marner going to the dirty areas of the ice during any of his playoffs. Good luck with that! Also, if being a perimeter player does all of the things you mentioned, don't you find it strange at their inability to score enough goals in the playoffs? And yes, that is not all on Marner, it is on this overpaid core!

And it is so ironic how you mention about losing in the playoffs not being about bad luck (among other things), when for all the past playoff failures, that is one of the things you would always mention as to why they were "unable to win" those series.

There is only so much that Tre can do in one offseason, and thanks to Shanny and the board for giving all those NMCs, it will be a difficult if not impossible thing to move Marner, or any of the core for that matter! But at least he has hired a coach who wants the same kind of team as he does, and who also has won a Cup! Not to mention who will hold ALL his players accountable! Gone will be the days of "entitlement"!

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
My dream offseason is trade Marner and Rielly for a top 6 winger and futures. Sign Lindholm and Montour. Keep Domi and bam. The entire offense is radically different.

Domi Matthews top 6 guy
Knies Lindholm Nylander

I like signing Montour and Lindholm, because they're coming off relatively down seasons with potential for upside. This means we won't get killed on term and pay. Lindholm could be a good fit as he's very good defensively, but still capable of putting up the points.

On the other bright side, these guys match our timeline, which is Matthew's contract.
I just have this funny feeling, and I desperately hope I am wrong, that Tre will not be able to trade Marner and so he will be back. If that is the case I don't see how there will be much improvement in the team, aside from Berube who is definitely an upgrade behind the bench!

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I just have this funny feeling, and I desperately hope I am wrong, that Tre will not be able to trade Marner and so he will be back. If that is the case I don't see how there will be much improvement in the team.
I tend to agree. Hopefully they will be a team that thinks he can be a difference maker for them and is willing to pay. Another Kadri trade would set us back a few years.

Personally I something like Raymond + 1st. Some think we could get a lot more but with Mitch asking for $12.5m, I doubt it.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
It’s just too bad we were so unlucky all these years. Perfect Dubas built a perfect team and just ran into bad bounces every year!
Yup...the old "You have to look at results in a vacuum" line...even though the pattern of coming up small had been showing for years.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Treliving left Keefe in charge for this very purpose.

"Not my choice of coach, but he was here."

Didn't like he left that in the chamber, and didn't we all know the outcome before the first puck drop?

Treliving wasted a year.

I was giving him a conditional pass, but on second thought, he has to repeat the year. He wasted a year of the Core.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Treliving left Keefe in charge for this very purpose.

"Not my choice of coach, but he was here."

Didn't like he left that in the chamber, and didn't we all know the outcome before the first puck drop?

Treliving wasted a year.

I was giving him a conditional pass, but on second thought, he has to repeat the year. He wasted a year of the Core.
wasting a year of this core simply means shit. They can't win so the sooner they're gone the better...........

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
His Soo teams should have been a clue. They looked good until they came across skilled teams with more physicality.
Well his Soo teams lost to stacked Erie teams that consisted of McDavid, Strome, Debrincat, Brown, Dermott, Marchment, Raddysh, MacDermid.

The best players on those Dubas teams were McCann, Bunting, DeAngelo, Nurse and Ritchie. I think I'm putting money on that Erie team every time. Against any junior squad

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Well his Soo teams lost to stacked Erie teams that consisted of McDavid, Strome, Debrincat, Brown, Dermott, Marchment, Raddysh, MacDermid.

The best players on those Dubas teams were McCann, Bunting, DeAngelo, Nurse and Ritchie. I think I'm putting money on that Erie team every time. Against any junior squad
Couldn't have been that stacked. Erie lost the next round in 5 both years.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Sure you’ve said it, but what so you believe in the core of your being? Dubas is perfect!
The flat cap. We got goalied. All excuses. None of them something Dubas could have possibly prevented. If he could have, he would have. He's perfect.
I said it. You believed it.
They have remained consistent.... Say anything - no matter how nonsensical, no matter how contradictory, no matter how dishonest - to portray Dubas as infallible.
Wrong again. You have no idea what I believe. If you ever actually read my posts, you'd know that I don't believe Dubas is perfect or infallible. I don't believe anybody is perfect. I just don't share your irrational hatred of him, which you falsely equate to "believing he is perfect" in order to deflect from your contradictions and lack of answers. Looking at how and why things happened and considering the context and impacting factors behind it are not "excuses", and attacking people for discussing them is extremely hypocritical considering you bring up the exact same stuff when it comes to Treliving. There are things that a GM is and isn't in control of, and both should be looked at. My methods of evaluation have remained exactly the same with both GMs, while you flipped on every fundamental belief and methodology that you previously argued for, once Treliving took charge. You refused to answer any of the questions asked of you in our earlier discussion, because it would expose those contradictions.
You keep saying that, but can never seem to identify a "stupid decision" that actually sent the team in any kind of direction that made them in any way worse.
Actually, I identified plenty. You just ignored them. We over focused on snot at the expense of the team. We failed to acquire a top-4 defenseman, but did acquire some of the worst defensive players in the league, and our defensive results and ultimately our overall team quality suffered for it. We shifted cap from defense/goalie to forward, when we should have done the opposite. We made the stupid decision to sign Reaves to a 3 year contract and then traded a younger, cheaper, superior player. Made the stupid decision to sign Klingberg. Signed Kampf to a pricey contract and then created a team that he didn't fit into. Traded assets to have one-dimensional bottom pairing clones on every pairing that sunk our transition ability. We could go on, but I've already been over this stuff like 10 times.
You have claimed that signing Samsonov was stupid.... while simultaneously arguing that Dubas left Treliving in a great situation in net.
I didn't say that signing Samsonov was stupid. That's the least of the things I hold against Treliving. I just asked you to establish your position on whether it is okay to use hindsight against a GM when the choice made at the time was reasonable. Should we consider the situation and realistic options or just demand results? You didn't answer, of course. You've also failed to explain what exactly about walking into a goalie coming off a good season - that Treliving had the choice and cap space to re-sign or go an alternate route - and a backup signed to a great contract, is bad. Your expectation seems to be something that there are only a handful of in the league and tend to be home-grown over a decade.
You've claimed that adding the likes of Domi and Bertuzzi was stupid because grit isn't useful.... while simultaneously arguing that Dubas values grit because he added gritty guys.
Once again, you didn't actually read what I wrote. Certain types of "grit" can be useful, and having some players with "grit" isn't inherently bad. However, abandoning critical roles, attributes, and what a team needs in order to overload on some of the least useful aspects of grit in heavily flawed players we don't need, is an issue. The grit itself wasn't why signing Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, etc. was problematic, but the excessive focus on grit, grit, and more grit for grit's sake was stupid. There's a difference between valuing grit and overvaluing grit. It should not be top priority.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
All hail Dubas and the God like Marner for we will be delivered from the darkness

Budz

Jan 28, 2013

Domi Matthews top 6 guy
Knies Lindholm Nylander

I don’t love Montour as much as many others, but heck yes to Lindholm and trading Mitch and Mo.

Build down the middle, deep D and solid goaltending.

Reactions: Shooter2x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad