Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 68 35.2%

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well it’s how Rome was built…….brick by brick. I probably won’t be around when they finally get their shit together………
Chicago Cubs 107 years.
Maple Leafs currently 56 years.
You know how the Leafs like to break futility records. That’s the one thing they excel at.

You may not be the only one.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If you move Matthews, you have to blow it up and that is not happening. MLSEL needs more embarrassment to get to that point. I'd settle for moving the guy who throws hissy fits on the bench and is afraid of his shadow on the ice.
That’s Matthews and Marner.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I liked that we got bigger and meaner on the backend. Otherwise, this was the same shit, different label. Shoestrings and hope to play in the net, the core 4 taking up all the oxygen and cap space. Mercenaries up front for depth, some of them work and some of them don't. A core piece gets a wild overpay of a contract, but we accept it because we like our stars. Really, you could put this season's moves into any one of the Dubas years and nobody would guess it was a different GM.

The real test is this summer, when he's got a year under his belt and possibly the mandate to shake up the core. Does he fold and roll it back for yet another round of same shit, different day, or does he put his stamp on the team?

My favourite move of the year was Benoit.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Met expectations, did nothing that really harmed the team moving forward so far, but also didn't have enough time to make moves like that. Liked his draft, didn't like all the free agent signings like Reaves/Kampf contract, but again no major mistakes made by him so far.

This will be the summer Treliving puts his stamp on the team, Toronto has generally stayed away from handing out big dollars in UFA, apart from Tavares. I think that changes with Treliving taking a big swing on trying to get a couple of d-man in FA or maybe a top 6 forward in FA.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His biggest mistake to date was overpaying Nylander and/or missing the chance to move him.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last year was a toss away year for Leafs and Treliving after inheriting a mess and making the best of it, so one can give him a pass as expectation were low considering all the landmines left by his predecessor.

Its not easy transforming a figure skating team into a real playoff contending hockey team.

This year however will be the year we start to see the team built in his image and he is off to a great start hiring a qualified and NHL proven Cup winning coach in Craig Berube. Berube was a hard nosed physical player in his time, so that projects the type of hockey big, heavy style game we expect to evolve in Toronto. Treliving likes big, mean and mobile Dman so that fits the future picture of what to expect is coming.

His 1st season transitional team with short-term moves like Tyler Bertuzzi ,Max Domi, Ryan Reaves, Connor Dewar and Dmen Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin gave us a glimpse of the type of bite and snarl and sandpaper he is looking at, and for. Despite losing in the first round they played hard and physical and punishing playoff style hockey, but it isn't enough when surrounded by soft core 4 forwards that consume 1/2 of Leafs cap.

Love the direction I believe my Leafs team is being taken now under real hockey management.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Last year was a toss away year for Leafs and Treliving after inheriting a mess and making the best of it, so one can give him a pass as expectation were low considering all the landmines left by his predecessor.

Its not easy transforming a figure skating team into a real playoff contending hockey team.

This year however will be the year we start to see the team built in his image and he is off to a great start hiring a qualified and NHL proven Cup winning coach in Craig Berube. Berube was a hard nosed physical player in his time, so that projects the type of hockey big, heavy style game we expect to evolve in Toronto. Treliving likes big, mean and mobile Dman so that fits the future picture of what to expect is coming.

His 1st season transitional team with short-term moves like Tyler Bertuzzi ,Max Domi, Ryan Reaves, Connor Dewar and Dmen Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin gave us a glimpse of the type of bite and snarl and sandpaper he is looking at, and for. Despite losing in the first round they played hard and physical and punishing playoff style hockey, but it isn't enough when surrounded by soft core 4 forwards that consume 1/2 of Leafs cap.

Love the direction I believe my Leafs team is being taken now under real hockey management.

He made the team worse and his additions for playoffs didn't help.

You don't live in reality.

Reactions: Cap'n Flavour

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
His biggest mistake to date was overpaying Nylander and/or missing the chance to move him.
He's overpaid, but the second-best player making the second-most money isn't that out of line. Unless you got a massive return, trading him would have been a mistake.

Reactions: socko

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's overpaid, but the second-best player making the second-most money isn't that out of line. Unless you got a massive return, trading him would have been a mistake.
Yup. All we can do is not make the same mistake twice with Marner.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
The bar is so low in Toronto. People thinking this guy exceeded expectations after that season?! He wasn’t bad by any means, but damn, what have the leafs done to us that the worst regular season in a while with another embarrassing first round exit is exceeding expectations.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The bar is so low in Toronto. People thinking this guy exceeded expectations after that season?! He wasn’t bad by any means, but damn, what have the leafs done to us that the worst regular season in a while with another embarrassing first round exit is exceeding expectations.
Yeah people need to not use the Dubas standard, that's a different level of bad that can't be compared with anything else.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yea, you only pay a 1st when a player is to be bought out :sarcasm:

Dead cap from a buyout vs 6 million of LTIR space is very different... if you can't tell the difference, not sure what to tell you.

I was just pointing out that there is no way that Monahan was saying he was going to go on LTIR and that was the payment.

Monahan just wasn't worth his contract and that was the price Treliving paid to move him, you can argue if it was a good or bad price, but not sure the plan was to put him on LTIR forever, and if it was then Treliving overpaid by a lot.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Two of the 4 core are absoletely we need to get rid of them players. Asking to add Nylander to that list and make it 3 out of 4 just because he wants an overpay, I don't know that it was realistic. And I think a player as good as Nylander, in a UFA bidding war, is going to cost you that much anyway. Hell, Tavares went for $11 and he's nowhere near as good as Nylander.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's the 2nd best player some nights, overall he'd still be considered 3rd.
He still needs far more consistent efforts. Maybe this yer he figures that out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Agreed, and hopefully he is capable of learning from past mistakes, and his second biggest isn't re-signing a soft perimeter winger looking to make even more. :wg:

BT seems to have tied his future to the NHL's best goal scorer in Matthews and invested heavily in Nylander with new contracts (way more then either player has earned or deserves), but now what happens going forward with Marner and Tavares is the key to see if we have turned a corner or its simply going to be more of the same.

This upcoming season with those raises kicking in and the other 2 still on the books with complicated NMC to work around really going to be interesting to see how it unfolds as Leafs will be in Cap Hell like never before.

I'll be watching closely and for me for BT to pass the next set of tests/landmines is to convince Marner to waive his NMC and the trade return and to get Captain JT to be looking a major pay cut to stay or moving on from him as well after this season.

A team can live with 2 X players making $11 mil plus but not 4, so something has to give, and it will be on Treliving to change course or sink like all the rest previously before him in a Salary Cap World.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He's done nothing major.

If he signs Marner I call for his head.
I will start organizing.
1717423722436.gif

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Yup. All we can do is not make the same mistake twice with Marner.
exactly.

The situation is crystal clear unless you complicate things.

The definition of "running it back" is signing Marner. "EVEN MANAGEMENT" knows that isn't acceptable.

He's not being resigned. The team has to move on.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Until we trade/UFA expire/LTIR Mitch and JT this roster is in CAP hell .. hard to fix da roster construction issues in playoffs without moving $$$ to D and G .. Tre/Shanny need to move on from Mitch via trade this summer as move #1 .. then try to see if JT will jump on LTIR program to help us build a playoff D core worthy of a Cup run .. can't see Tre finding 4 Benoit moves .. that is a wild dream .. but we got McCabe and Benoit now which is 2 out of 6 .. now 4 left to figure out

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Tre picked Nylander over Marner and that was the correct move.

then try to see if JT will jump on LTIR program to help us build a playoff D core worthy of a Cup run
JT needs to 100% Mark Stone.

That's the winning move.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Yeah people need to not use the Dubas standard, that's a different level of bad that can't be compared with anything else.
Eh he wasn’t great either obviously but the blame lies with core in my eyes. Some GMs may have broken them up sooner but I bet most would have kept them together until recently too. They’ve fooled even the best with their great regular season play followed by constant choke jobs and most GMs don’t have the balls to make a trade like that in this league. Hopefully Treleving can make the tough decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad