Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 68 35.2%

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I mean he didn't even really have time to do anything so we will see. My fear when we hired him was we would end up like the Benning canucks and have a useless bottom 6 as we always have except instead of it being cheap league min players rotating each year we have albatross deals we can't move.

He basically needs to complete rebuild the defense because even our best pieces like McCabe and Rielly are entering their declining years in their 30's. We need a 2nd line C going forward with JT declining, we need a starting goalie.

Team seems to have good wingers covered through our drafting and some good centers taken care of. We have little in the way of draft picks and some tough choices with guys like Marner upcoming.

So basically, I don't expect much good from him and if he manages to rebuild our depth from soft to toughness without screwing the cap, build an actual two way defense (Dubas could only have an offensive or defensive Dcore not both), and get a decent goalie then I will be shocked and blown away.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
As far as GM's go, it is nonsense to me to claim some are better than others because it is all narrative based.

Look at the current teams in the SCF. Holland even today is seen as a complete idiot. Zito 5 years ago was seen as a terrible GM handing out the crippling Bobrovsky contract and even in the summer of the Tkachuk trade people thought he got bent over moving a top pairing D + first liner + first.

Now the other way, 5 years ago the best GM in the world were likely Steve Y who so far in Detroit has had trouble building even a playoff team despite 7 years of rebuilding.

Treliving is a bad GM who can't put together a winning team until he does and then he is a good GM. Dubas is a good GM until he fails to put together a winning team and then he is a bad one. That is sports.

Treliving needs to just make a blockbuster deal and hope for the best. The team needs a massive shakeup because regardless of how well they do, next year if the core is the same they all secretly will doubt they can do it and the same story happens again. They likely don't get a Tkachuk but they can get a top end Dman and a good goalie and have people think they can be different.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I was not a fan of the Kyle Dubas firing. It really felt like he was ready to make the appropriate changes to get us over the hump, and in all honesty I felt his entire body of work as Leafs GM was largely very good. I also hated the timing of his removal. It was arguably the most important offseason in our history of our franchise, with time sensitive decisions that required immediate attention. It really looked as though Kyle was prepared to move off of the core, and with Mitch's NMC kicking in that coming July, it just seemed like the right time for a change.

Nonetheless, it is a results based industry and unfortunately Kyle didn't put a team together that accomplished any results. Even though I felt he was the right guy for the job at the time, I also couldn't argue against his departure.

I wasn't initially thrilled with the Treliving hire just based off his history in Calgary, but that soon changed when he had his first press conference. I instantly felt way more comfortable with him being the guy in charge. He clearly was seeing the exact same holes that we as a fanbase were seeing. Unfortunately for Brad, the timing of his onboarding was horrific. Mitch's NMC was set to kick in within 2 months of his arrival, and he also had to sign Auston and Willy to extensions. Not to mention he had to assess whether or not Sheldon was the right guy for the job.

All in all I have been happy with him as a GM. He's made some poor decisions (Kampf Extension probably most notable IMO), but he's also shown a lot of promise in some of the players he brought in. Most notably Bertuzzi, Domi, Dewar, Edmundson and even Reavo to some degree. This team is no longer a pushover. Which is such a welcomed sight to see.

At the end of the day, I am equally, if not more confident in Brad as GM now than I was after his initial press conference. I think he's got the right idea on what brand of hockey succeeds in Toronto. The fanbase appreciates blue collar effort far more than skill. Something that Brad clearly identifies as a priority in addition to the skill we already have.

Like I mentioned earlier, last off season was no where near normal for Brad. e was thrown into a tough spot, and I think he navigated it admirably. I am very interested to see how this offseason pans out. But at the end of the day I am happy with his body of work thus far
They were keeping Dubas until he pulled a PP on Shanny. Guessing he had a hush hush offer from Pens offer when he decided to do a 360 on Shanny. Very slimy thing to do to the guy who opened doors for you and even after you made mistake after mistake and had little playoff success in 5 years.

Let the slimeball fail and rot in Pittsburgh where it feels closer to home.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He tried to move Nylander, not Marner when the window was open to do so.

I don't believe to be true. If I recall correctly at the time of Dubas firing, Shanahan had already commented publicly that the core 4 were coming back for 1 last chance.

By the time BT arrived, he inherited a situation from above with a mandate that "We can and We will" is all coming back, and so Treliving's hands essential tied in regards to core 4.

That changed after this year with a new CEO and another disappointing playoff exit.

Shanahan takes blame for early exits, Core 4 changes on the table

"Our results in the playoffs have not been good enough. That's on me," Shanahan said.

Shanahan, alongside general manager Brad Treliving and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment CEO Keith Pelley, met with reporters one day after the team fired head coach Sheldon Keefe following his fourth opening-round exit in five years. Shanahan said he appreciated Keefe taking the blame for the playoff letdowns in Toronto, but said the "unacceptable" results are on him. He added that all options will be on the table this off-season as the Maple Leafs look to take a step forward.

“We will look at everything this summer and will consider everything with the intention of making the Maple Leafs better and to win,” Shanahan said, declining to speak on the future of any specific players.

Shanahan has continuously backed the team's "Core 4" throughout his time in Toronto, but struck a different tone on Friday, noting the time for patience may be at an end. Captain John Tavares and winger Mitch Marner are both entering the final seasons of their contracts after Treliving extended both Auston Matthews and William Nylander this season.

"It has certainly become evident that we have to assess all of those things and assess if we have to do some very difficult things to make the team better," Shanahan said

Shanahan takes blame for early playoff exits, all options are on the table for Toronto Maple Leafs | TSN

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't believe to be true. If I recall correctly at the time of Dubas firing, Shanahan had already commented publicly that the core 4 were coming back for 1 last chance.

By the time BT arrived, he inherited a situation from above with a mandate that "We can and We will" is all coming back, and so Treliving's hands essential tied in regards to core 4.

That changed after this year with a new CEO and another disappointing playoff exit.

"Our results in the playoffs have not been good enough. That's on me," Shanahan said.

Shanahan, alongside general manager Brad Treliving and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment CEO Keith Pelley, met with reporters one day after the team fired head coach Sheldon Keefe following his fourth opening-round exit in five years. Shanahan said he appreciated Keefe taking the blame for the playoff letdowns in Toronto, but said the "unacceptable" results are on him. He added that all options will be on the table this off-season as the Maple Leafs look to take a step forward.

“We will look at everything this summer and will consider everything with the intention of making the Maple Leafs better and to win,” Shanahan said, declining to speak on the future of any specific players.

Shanahan has continuously backed the team's "Core 4" throughout his time in Toronto, but struck a different tone on Friday, noting the time for patience may be at an end. Captain John Tavares and winger Mitch Marner are both entering the final seasons of their contracts after Treliving extended both Auston Matthews and William Nylander this season.

"It has certainly become evident that we have to assess all of those things and assess if we have to do some very difficult things to make the team better," Shanahan said

Shanahan takes blame for early playoff exits, all options are on the table for Toronto Maple Leafs | TSN
You're certainly welcome not to believe it but it was reported they shopped him but felt keeping him was better than the return.

Reactions: Tak7

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

It's not what he said this summer....it's what he didn't say. He's always vociferously defended the core, but not this year. That says a lot.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's not what he said this summer....it's what he didn't say. He's always vociferously defended the core, but not this year. That says a lot.

The core 4 results was certainly on the President and not the new GM head for job performance review .. That is the mess he inherited all with NMC except for Willy and the President calling the shots on their immediate future.

This year appears a new CEO has told his President that the results are no longer acceptable and now BT his GM has been given a different set of marching orders.

However both Marner and Tavares have full no movement clauses so talk is cheap to ask Treliving to fix what the past has set up and is broken.

If Marner refuses to move on, that is his prerogative via contract to do so, however BT is no longer having a gun put to his head to re-sign him from either above or by the player. So Marner will have to accept that this is potentially his last season in Toronto and no future contact coming his way, so how he decides to end his time here lying on his shoulders to co-operate and work with BT on a potential sign and trade or sulk and play-out the year and see what free agency holds summer 2025.

I'm usually a self proclaimed "realist" so under these conditions one would have to think that its gong to remain status Quo with the core 4, because they control the outcome not the GM.. However I must say that I'm cautiously optimistic that BT is going convince Marner, that it is in his and teams best interest that he move on. The leverage that Marner once thought he had of scarring previous management into overpaying for fear of loss of his services no longer going to work on the new GM that is looking to part ways. IMO

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're certainly welcome not to believe it but it was reported they shopped him but felt keeping him was better than the return.

Report: Leafs’ core four players believe they’re going to be back together after calls from Shanahan

Speaking on the Chris Johnston Show, Johnston said the following:

“What’s interesting to me is that Brendan Shanahan phoned each of the Leafs’ top players to share the news about Kyle Dubas, and those players came away from those conversations believing that Brendan Shanahan’s intention is to bring the entire core four back.

“Now, that’s not written in stone and obviously maybe the new GM has a different perspective on that, but I do think it’s interesting that as much as we’ve focuses on the possibility for change, maybe even the need for change, that those players actually believe that they’re going to be back together, at least at this point in time.

“I was a little surprised by that, just because there had been so much talk — and obviously even Kyle Dubas opened the door in his last Monday press conference that everything would be on the table if he was running the team — well Brendan Shanhan’s the top voice in the hockey department. I don’t know if he gave assurances or promises, we might get into semantics here, but certainly those players I don’t think are bracing to be traded now, even [with] as much speculation is out there, it just seems that they believe the organization wants to move forward with them as a core four, so that’ll be something to watch.”

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I was not a fan of the Kyle Dubas firing. It really felt like he was ready to make the appropriate changes to get us over the hump, and in all honesty I felt his entire body of work as Leafs GM was largely very good. I also hated the timing of his removal. It was arguably the most important offseason in our history of our franchise, with time sensitive decisions that required immediate attention. It really looked as though Kyle was prepared to move off of the core, and with Mitch's NMC kicking in that coming July, it just seemed like the right time for a change.
What he said, IIRC was that he "would be open to any trade that would improve the team" so it could be a bit optimistic to say he was ready to do what needed to be done. Ready to trade Willie for a #1 defenseman who would not be available? That kind of sounds like what they tried to do last summer.

Like a huge chunk of the fans on this board, if they couldn't get 80%+ of Willie's perceived value back in a deal, it wouldn't improve the club right? Because only by winning trades can the team improve right?

Was he ready to let Keefe go? I don't think there was any hint about that in the pc. Also I think Kyle, and Tre after him, were extremely worried they would have trouble signing Matthews if there was too much turmoil and change with the club this summer. I think he would have basically run it back once he found out he wasn't getting a quality top pairing RD for a money driven 87pt winger. And even if he would have done a deal for a lesser return, I think Shanny may have put on the brakes because he wants to win trades too and he had staked his reputation with the board year after year on this big 4. KD might have had a little more rope than Tre but not that much if Shanahan was afraid their talent was being eroded. Didn't Shanny phone these guys to make sure they knew they weren't going anywhere in 2023? He loves them.

I think there is more of a chance Kyle says they couldn't get value back so he trades their 1st instead. Maybe there is a different playoff outcome, but I think he brings the same goalie tandem back so probably not.

Kyle's infatuation with his big 4 doesn't suggest to me he was necessarily ready to be a hard ass at the contract or that he has mastered roster construction. He has learned some hard lessons over the years but the fact he didn't fire Keefe right after the playoffs tells me not enough.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Not sure if I'm misinterpreting the conversation here - but they did shop Nylander last year, and then stopped when they realized they couldn't land the top Dman that they were coveting.

Reactions: ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They were keeping Dubas until he pulled a PP on Shanny. Guessing he had a hush hush offer from Pens offer when he decided to do a 360 on Shanny. Very slimy thing to do to the guy who opened doors for you and even after you made mistake after mistake and had little playoff success in 5 years.

Let the slimeball fail and rot in Pittsburgh where it feels closer to home.
in a perverted way I would have liked for Boy Wonder's betrayal to have worked, at least the President would have been gone..........

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure if I'm misinterpreting the conversation here - but they did shop Nylander last year, and then stopped when they realized they couldn't land the top Dman that they were coveting.
Yeah, Mess has changed the subject.

Reactions: Tak7

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Massive improvement from Kyle Dubas but still not great. Garbage Matthews and Nylander contracts ensured that the Leafs will not win anything. Everything else is window dressing when the foundation is this shoddy.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Massive improvement from Kyle Dubas but still not great. Garbage Matthews and Nylander contracts ensured that the Leafs will not win anything. Everything else is window dressing when the foundation is this shoddy.
true that.........

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Like any good GM you should always be open and listening to all available options. However listening and actively shopping are 2 different things.

However this year it seems the organization is really motivated to make change to their core 4 and lets hope a cooperative Marner and a successful Treliving can return a trade for Mitch with a top 4 Dman + plus that didn't happen last summer. :wg:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He's the 2nd best player some nights, overall he'd still be considered 3rd.
He still needs far more consistent efforts. Maybe this yer he figures that out.
He's the best player some nights and third or lower some nights, but who would you consider better on the average?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The loss of Marner, Tavares, and Rielly opens up some good cap space to turn this ship around once and for all
I could see two of those things happening but not sure we will see Riellu moved before his deal is up. Standard Leaf long term NM and not enough value to support the salary so you pay to move him. And why consider that if a decent partner and new coach bring some of his shine back. I see him as more of an overpaid 2nd pairing guy than an impediment to the Leafs success, unlike the $11M club.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Like any good GM you should always be open and listening to all available options. However listening and actively shopping are 2 different things.

However this year it seems the organization is really motivated to make change to their core 4 and lets hope a cooperative Marner and a successful Treliving can return a trade for Mitch with a top 4 Dman + plus that didn't happen last summer. :wg:

How do people think Marner has a positive value based on how they speak about him? We are clearly attaching a 1st to him to let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad