Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 68 35.2%

• Total voters

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Until we trade/UFA expire/LTIR Mitch and JT this roster is in CAP hell .. hard to fix da roster construction issues in playoffs without moving $$$ to D and G .. Tre/Shanny need to move on from Mitch via trade this summer as move #1 .. then try to see if JT will jump on LTIR program to help us build a playoff D core worthy of a Cup run .. can't see Tre finding 4 Benoit moves .. that is a wild dream .. but we got McCabe and Benoit now which is 2 out of 6 .. now 4 left to figure out
You're not counting Rielly as one of the 6? There's no doubt he's going to be on the team.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
62% met expectations? lol. I guess people just expect a first round loss every year regardless of who's in charge.

Here's the only thing you need to think about: Oilers management, who have historically and rather famously been of below-average competence, fired their head coach after a slow start and made the Finals. That's the very least Tre could have done.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Agreed, and hopefully he is capable of learning from past mistakes, and his second biggest isn't re-signing a soft perimeter winger looking to make even more. :wg:

BT seems to have tied his future to the NHL's best goal scorer in Matthews and invested heavily in Nylander with new contracts (way more then either player has earned or deserves), but now what happens going forward with Marner and Tavares is the key to see if we have turned a corner or its simply going to be more of the same.

This upcoming season with those raises kicking in and the other 2 still on the books with complicated NMC to work around really going to be interesting to see how it unfolds as Leafs will be in Cap Hell like never before.

I'll be watching closely and for me for BT to pass the next set of tests/landmines is to convince Marner to waive his NMC and the trade return and to get Captain JT to be looking a major pay cut to stay or moving on from him as well after this season.

A team can live with 2 X players making $11 mil plus but not 4, so something has to give, and it will be on Treliving to change course or sink like all the rest previously before him in a Salary Cap World.

Not sure you have a clue about their cap situation... it is fine.

If he spends it better than last year, he should do alright.

62% met expectations? lol. I guess people just expect a first round loss every year regardless of who's in charge.

Here's the only thing you need to think about: Oilers management, who have historically and rather famously been of below-average competence, fired their head coach after a slow start and made the Finals. That's the very least Tre could have done.

He made the team slightly worse, that is what I assume most expected.

He isn't a good GM.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Two of the 4 core are absoletely we need to get rid of them players. Asking to add Nylander to that list and make it 3 out of 4 just because he wants an overpay, I don't know that it was realistic. And I think a player as good as Nylander, in a UFA bidding war, is going to cost you that much anyway. Hell, Tavares went for $11 and he's nowhere near as good as Nylander.
Nobody was paying Nylander $92m IMO. Leafs caved instead of waiting until June to sign him. He's not getting close to $92m on a 7 year deal with the bonuses Leafs hand out like candy on Halloween.

I'll join.
It might be my breaking point.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He's the 2nd best player some nights, overall he'd still be considered 3rd.
He still needs far more consistent efforts. Maybe this yer he figures that out.
Nylander did finish with 40 goals (15th overall) and 10th in NHL scoring.

1717424518479.png

His new comparibles as far as contracts go Panarin (49 goals) and Pastrnak (47 goals) finsihed 4th and 5th overall in scoring.

So while I agree Nylander is overpaid on his new contract, you can still make a reasonabe argurment that its in-line with with his comparables.

1717424927070.png

PS. His 3 playoff goals (lead team) in only 4 games was as many goals as his lofty $11 mil teamates Matthews (1) & Marner (1) and Tavares (1) scored combined.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Nobody was paying Nylander $92m IMO. Leafs caved instead of waiting until June to sign him. He's not getting close to $92m on a 7 year deal with the bonuses Leafs hand out like candy on Halloween.

It might be my breaking point.
That's a good point about the extra year. Nylander probably won't be that great in year 8 that he will demand a big salary. Knowing Nylander though, I think he would have taken us to a UFA bidding war, even though I think he ultimately wants to stay in Toronto. That bidding war could have been ugly, lots of desperate teams. Nylander would be the best player on Detroit's failed rebuild for example.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Met my expectations - underwhelming. Plenty of huff & puff without actually accomplishing any results.

He's talked a big game. Time will tell whether he's actually willing, and capable, of executing on that.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tre picked Nylander over Marner and that was the correct move.

For the longest time I believed that IF one of the wingers were to be moved out, it would be the local boy Marner that would stay and the free spirited Nylander that would be moved out.

However I think BT (so far anyways) has made the right choice in who to re-sign and keep.

The final straw for ME and perhaps management came during the playoffs when an immature whining, complaining Marner was throwing a temper tantrum and his gloves on the bench and a composed Nylander turned to him and said "Shut up and just F'ing play". That showed true leadership on Willy's part and not only in words but also actions as he went out and scored 3 goals in only 4 playoff games leading the Leafs while his 3 X $11 teammates all contributed 1 goal a piece and 3 combined in the series loss.

That might have been the final turning point as to who stays and who goes and showed the player who you wanted to stand behind and support and who sends a leadership message that no one could support, nor rally around.

BT has an opportunity although admittedly difficult with a NMC standing in the way to change this team significantly with a Marner trade. Worse comes to worse and a difficult player blocks all movement then BT deciding to walk away from Marner and using his $11 mil cap recovery on new replacement players is still a better move then doubling down and caving in to Marner's +$12 next contract, where 2 wrong's don't make a right.

So what happens with Marner going forward will be a major grading item when reviewing the performance of our new GM for me.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For the longest time I believed that IF one of the wingers was to be moved out it would be the local boy Marner that would stay and the free spirited Nylander that would be moved out.

However I think BT (so far anyways) has made the right choice in who to re-sign and keep.

The final straw for ME and perhaps management came during the playoffs when an immature whining, complaining Marner was throwing a temper tantrum and his gloves on the bench and a composed Nylander turned to him and said "Shut up and just F'ing play". That showed true leadership on Willy's part and not only in words but also actions as he went out and scored 3 goals in only 4 playoff games leading the Leafs while his 3 X $11 teammates all contributed 1 goal a piece and 3 combined in the loss.

That might have been the final turning point as to who stays and who goes and showed the player who you wanted to stand behind and support and who sends a leadership message that no one could support, nor rally around.

BT has an opportunity although admittedly difficult with a NMC standing in the way to change this team significantly with a Marner trade. Worse comes to worse and a difficult player blocks all movement then BT deciding to walk away from Marner and using his $11 mil cap recovery on new replacement players is still a better move then doubling down and caving in to Marner's +$12 next contract, where 2 wrong's don't make a right.

So what happens with Marner going forward will be a major grading item when reviewing the performance of our new GM for me.
He tried to move Nylander, not Marner when the window was open to do so.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
For the longest time I believed that IF one of the wingers were to be moved out, it would be the local boy Marner that would stay and the free spirited Nylander that would be moved out.

The final straw for ME and perhaps management came during the playoffs when an immature whining, complaining Marner was throwing a temper tantrum and his gloves on the bench and a composed Nylander turned to him and said "Shut up and just F'ing play". That showed true leadership on Willy's part and not only in words but also actions as he went out and scored 3 goals in only 4 playoff games leading the Leafs while his 3 X $11 teammates all contributed 1 goal a piece and 3 combined in the series loss.

I think the biggest point with Marner is his entire existence is spearheaded by setting up Matthews and there is substantial evidence that Matthews plays better without Marner. Game over.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I was not a fan of the Kyle Dubas firing. It really felt like he was ready to make the appropriate changes to get us over the hump, and in all honesty I felt his entire body of work as Leafs GM was largely very good. I also hated the timing of his removal. It was arguably the most important offseason in our history of our franchise, with time sensitive decisions that required immediate attention. It really looked as though Kyle was prepared to move off of the core, and with Mitch's NMC kicking in that coming July, it just seemed like the right time for a change.

Nonetheless, it is a results based industry and unfortunately Kyle didn't put a team together that accomplished any results. Even though I felt he was the right guy for the job at the time, I also couldn't argue against his departure.

I wasn't initially thrilled with the Treliving hire just based off his history in Calgary, but that soon changed when he had his first press conference. I instantly felt way more comfortable with him being the guy in charge. He clearly was seeing the exact same holes that we as a fanbase were seeing. Unfortunately for Brad, the timing of his onboarding was horrific. Mitch's NMC was set to kick in within 2 months of his arrival, and he also had to sign Auston and Willy to extensions. Not to mention he had to assess whether or not Sheldon was the right guy for the job.

All in all I have been happy with him as a GM. He's made some poor decisions (Kampf Extension probably most notable IMO), but he's also shown a lot of promise in some of the players he brought in. Most notably Bertuzzi, Domi, Dewar, Edmundson and even Reavo to some degree. This team is no longer a pushover. Which is such a welcomed sight to see.

At the end of the day, I am equally, if not more confident in Brad as GM now than I was after his initial press conference. I think he's got the right idea on what brand of hockey succeeds in Toronto. The fanbase appreciates blue collar effort far more than skill. Something that Brad clearly identifies as a priority in addition to the skill we already have.

Like I mentioned earlier, last off season was no where near normal for Brad. e was thrown into a tough spot, and I think he navigated it admirably. I am very interested to see how this offseason pans out. But at the end of the day I am happy with his body of work thus far

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
He tried to move Nylander, not Marner when the window was open to do so.
Nothing wrong with "assessing the market".

+Like

(manual like, I'm in prison for posting ⓜⓐⓣⓡⓘⓧ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ)

I think the biggest point with Marner is his entire existence is spearheaded by setting up Matthews and there is substantial evidence that Matthews plays better without Marner. Game over.
Marner was on the struggle bus last year. Wasn't great on the PK. Injured. Realizes he is a playoff pretender. 3 points in 7 games in the playoffs.

We cannot afford 2 wingers over 10.
Tre picked 88 > 16.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I think he's done a great job, which in turn is I suppose, exceeding expectations.

He fired Keefe. Pulled in Domi and Bertuzzi, and three (four if you count Lagesson) defensemen who played a style we need; Benoit almost feels like a coup.

He hired Berube. Not my first choice, but not nearly the worst choice and perhaps for this group, the best choice to determine what we have when all other options are exhausted.

I'm not tying our playoffs failure to him because the sum of the club isn't his composition and they're the common denominator to our constant, predictable outcome.

And loved the fact that he allowed Wes Clark to do his thing.

We'll have new assistant coaches soon, another plus.

Not sure how he does anything but exceed expectations given the amount of repair required and the obvious address to obvious problems he's provided so far, with every indication leading to a conclusion that for all intents and purposes, he's just getting started.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

Prior to the contract negotiations I had Nylander as the bar and a candidate for captain.

He's repeatedly demonstrated an on-ice leadership that's been characterized as off-character, I suspect from the similarly inaccurate notion that he's a perimeter player.

And I think he'll take another step yet.

Glad he's ours for the long haul.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Remember, Brad wasn't allowed to trade a core player. Shanny phoned them all immediately and assured they're staying before Brad was hired.

This thread is about what GM BT did while under direction of Shanny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad