Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 68 35.2%

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
For me, the true mark for Treliving will start occurring once Tavares's contract is off the books next year and how he starts to re-shape the team with that allocation of money. As well as who he puts in place as the next captain to show who he places his trust in to lead this team going forward.
Hopefully he’s not the one offering contracts next July 1. They’re already on a dangerous path with the signings this year and I don’t see him changing what he’s always done.
I get that they need to think short term but at the same time you have to consider the future.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It probably would've been premature to call Treliving stupid after his first press conference even though he looked and sounded like it.

But there shouldn't be any issue with calling him that now after all the stupid things he's done. It isn't just that he looks and sounds stupid he also acts it too. Given the evidence it isn't unreasonable to conclude that Treliving is a monumentally stupid and incompetent GM.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

It'd be nice to have someone with a level of intelligence higher than mayonaisse running this team. Seriously just because you can think it doesn't mean you should do it. Then to have the nerve to suggest the fans are toxic.

Here's a newsflash: the team doesn't lose because the fans are toxic.

The fans are toxic because the team keeps losing. Only the Toronto Maple Leafs could have a fan like me. That's because no fan of any other team could possibly be so bitterly disappointed with the stupid inept management running it.

When it comes to wearing the cone shaped cap of shame at the head of class Treliving's casts a shadow on all others

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
It probably would've been premature to call Treliving stupid after his first press conference even though he looked and sounded like it.

But there shouldn't be any issue with calling him that now after all the stupid things he's done. It isn't just that he looks and sounds stupid he also acts it too. Given the evidence it isn't unreasonable to conclude that Treliving is a monumentally stupid and incompetent GM.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

It'd be nice to have someone with a level of intelligence higher than mayonaisse running this team. Seriously just because you can think it doesn't mean you should do it. Then to have the nerve to suggest the fans are toxic.

Here's a newsflash: the team doesn't lose because the fans are toxic.

The fans are toxic because the team keeps losing. Only the Toronto Maple Leafs could have a fan like me. That's because no fan of any other team could possibly be so bitterly disappointed with the stupid inept management running it.

When it comes to wearing the cone shaped cap of shame at the head of class Treliving's casts a shadow on all others
Great points, Howard. He should have traded for Karlsson and his wife Yoko.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In one year the only player he’s traded away so far is Sam Lafferty
No need to trade players when they have limited trade value and you can simply just walk away from Kerfoot, Holl, Bunting, Brodie, Samsonov, Giordano, etc etc and then use that re-captured cap space to build your team though UFA (free assets added, without assets required to obtain).

Letting Kerfoot (@$3.5 mil) walk and signing Max Domi ($3.3 mil) is the same as exchanging those two assets in trade.
Letting TJ Brodie (@$5 mil) walk = Chris Tanev (@ $4.5 mil) IN
Samsonov @ $3.8 mil OUT = Storarz @ $2.5 mil IN.
etc etc

In a Salary Cap World the best asset a team can have to make impactful roster changes in FREE Cap space, without trades being the #1 driving force.

Leaf Nation is getting all sorts of new players, erasing past mistakes without any need for trades to facilitate change and progress. :)

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
No need to trade players when they have limited trade value and you can simply just walk away from Kerfoot, Holl, Bunting, Brodie, Samsonov, Giordano, etc etc and then use that re-captured cap space to build your team though UFA (free assets added, without assets required to obtain).

Letting Kerfoot (@$3.5 mil) walk and signing Max Domi ($3.3 mil) is the same as exchanging those to assets in trade.
Letting TJ Brodie (@$5 mil) walk = Chris Tanev (@ $4.5 mil) IN
Samsonov @ $3.8 mil OUT = Storarz @ $2.5 mil IN.
etc etc

In a Salary Cap World the best asset a team can have to make impactful roster changes in FREE Cap space, without trades being the #1 driving force.

Leaf Nation is getting all sorts of new players, erasing past mistakes without any need for trades to facilitate change and progress. :)
Except for Marner……..please hope for a trade

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

This move will be Treliving's defining moment as Leafs GM. What becomes of Mitch Marner and what becomes of the $12,5 mil cap space he would have consumed with his expected raise.

Marner has a full NO MOVE so he controls his trade future of which contractually nothing BT can do, his hands are tied.

However BT is not forced to double down on an already poor bang for your cap buck contract for Marner, and we in fact may see him deploy this say walk-away strategy with Marner and even Tavares as I mentioned above that Free Cap Space and UFAs signed = trades essentially.

Many Leaf fans are hoping once Marner accepts his time in TO is over as management would like change away from an unsuccessful core, that he works with BT on his next destination and that will benefit his future potential earnings ability. :crossfing

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mitch Marner for Leon Draiaitl

Leon Draisaitl’s agent gives ultimatum to the Oilers!

That will have an impact on negotiations in Edmonton:

“There’s no rush yet, but either it happens quickly, i.e. by the end of August, or it doesn’t work out at all,” Poner said “It will also become clear whether Edmonton wants him or not. Leon holds all the trump cards.”
Draisaitl enters the last year of his current deal, on an $8.5-million annual salary, and is likely to command a substantial increase, potentially in the range of $13.5 million to $14.5 million per year. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman recently wrote that the Oilers seem prepared to slow-play any contract extension talks with Draisaitl, but it sounds like Poner wants a quick decision by the club.

The agent was asked about the trade chatter if they failed to agree to an extension and the chance that Draisaitl could walk away with no assets coming back to Edmtonon next summer.

“There are two important points. Firstly: What will a club be willing to give up for a short-term deal? Leon would then be a free agent and the club would lose far too much. And secondly: What would Connor McDavid do a year later when his contract expires and Edmonton has already given up his friend?”

The correct answer to both the above questions is the same .... Mitch Marner !!!!!

Trading MM for LD straight up 1 -1 not only frees up +$2.4 mil extra Cap space for the Leafs .. I'd have no problem locking in Draisaitl at 8 X $13.5 instead of Marner at 8 X $12.5 mil ..

.Just look at Leon's playoff stats in comparison to convince yourself. :wg:

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What are his qualifications other than giving away Tkachuk and destroying Calgary's team
Don’t forget he was assistant GM at Phoenix.

I was thinking this morning when he’s let go next summer, what will be the first thing the new GM tries to undo.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Can’t say I love the Tanev contract, but he’s a needle moving addition imo, so you do what you have to.

Regarding OEL his term is far from horrific.
We bought his 34-37 seasons. No reason that every one of those can’t be good for us.

I also like that we’re getting some stability in the next tier of players on the roster after the core. The turnover year to year in key positions has been brutal and a big part of the lack of cohesion and progress imo
I like this move a lot if the Leafs develop some young D on the roster. Veteran defense is a great incubator of young talent. The team needs a waiver exempt dman to get some time. Even Lil can use some mentoring around decision making in high pressure situations.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
2 positive steps in the right direction,

Treliving has moved to re-sign Lou Lamoriello drafted players Matthews, Liljegren and Woll to new contracts as part of his team building plan.
&
He continues to purge Kyle Dubas inherited dead weight fodder from the roster in an effort to improve on past mistakes, attempting to turn a figure skating team into a real hockey team with playoff potential.

What becomes of Tavares and Marner both locked in solid behind NMC for this season, will become a defining moments in his Leafs legacy going forward, however we might need to wait another Leafs season locked in CAP HELL, before we have our answer.

As one that is on the side of preferring to move on from Marner, I'm watching closely how this all unfolds and if BT can convince Mitch its time to move on this summer and then of course evaluate the return thereafter.

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad