Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 114 60.3%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 65 34.4%

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That’s sort of a different discussion.
Seems to be exactly the discussion:
8 years of failure with this core and cap allocation model
The biggest elements of the base core were brought together 6 years ago. The cap allocation model has existed for 5 years.
We've had those core pieces together in the playoffs within this cap allocation model for 3 of those years.

• Haha
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Have the 3 amigos wom A game 7 ? Now do kutch. Therein lies the difference. We won't talk about cups.

Has Kucherov contributed to a game 7 win?

You're the one bringing up how important specific numbered games are.

I think Kucherov is great, but by your logic, he sucks.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Has Kucherov contributed to a game 7 win?

You're the one bringing up how important specific numbered games are.

I think Kucherov is great, but by your logic, he sucks.
I'm guessing yes but I can't say I've watched all his game 7s. I know our guys have not been very good in game 7s and we have lost them all. Nobody would be critical of these guys if they showed up and/or were not making all the money. It is about accountability.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I just want to have hope. Running it back is death.

Needs to gtfo:
Marner
JT
Rielly
Kampf
Jarnkrok
Robertson
Liljegren
I agree. Running the same thing back again only at an even higher cost is pointless and if Treliving signs Marner to anything more then 7 million he get a major failing grade

Reactions: rumman

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
This dipshit should get to work and start signing players or he will be picking from the bottom of the barrel. Markstrom is gone. Many others signed.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I agree. Running the same thing back again only at an even higher cost is pointless and if Treliving signs Marner to anything more then 7 million he get a major failing grade
Don’t worry. Marner won’t sign in Toronto for less than Nylander money which means he’ll have to go somewhere else to be paid less.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Can’t evaluate Treliving on one season. His first job was to re-sign Matthews and Nylander which he did. He was told he couldn’t trade Marner because Shanahan stupidly phoned him and told him he was not going to be traded.

He added some size and grit especially at the deadline which helped them defend well in the playoffs. I thought Domi, Jones and Benoit were good signings. Bertuzzi played well in the second half of the season. Reaves was questionable and Klingberg obviously didn’t work out but his contract didn’t hurt them.

Their issues is their core five players who don’t perform well enough in the playoffs and all have NMC. If he can somehow move one or two of Marner, Tavares or Rielly he will deserve praise but realistically what he does with their cap space this summer by improving their defense and then more so next offseason when Marner and Tavares come off the books will define his legacy as the Leafs GM.

I like his move away from small and soft to bigger, meaner and tougher to play against. It’s not going to be easy to build this group to beat a team like Florida but I think he’s up to the job. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I suppose that’s possible but after 8 years of failure with this core and cap allocation model I doubt the are miraculously suddenly go from first round losers to cup winners, especially when our mail competition makes changes and keeps getting better
They will never win a cup with this group. They have a weak pool, no picks next year and have already dumped a 2,4,6th picks in 2026. When TD hits they will be handcuffed. The great thing is we get to waste one more year on this model. The odds of the Leafs winning a cup? Find the next Roy.

I just want to have hope. Running it back is death.

Needs to gtfo:
Marner
JT
Rielly
Kampf
Jarnkrok
Robertson
Liljegren
I hate to tell you but no one will take Reillys contract. No team is just a Reilly away from a cup. All the others need to be gone. Tavares as Cptn won't work.I can't wait till Marner gets Sundined.

Last edited:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Was extremely average.
Didn't do anything amazing, didn't do anything awful that sunk our team.
Now that we have money and there's alot of players that fit our team needs in free agency, this offseason will show alot in the quality of GM he is.

CaptainCrunch17

Dec 31, 2010
North of Toronto
The Leafs need to stop trading away draft picks and get back to developing young, up and coming players that can help the team on low cost contracts.

It seems like Treliving is moving in that direction which to me is a positive development.

Dubas blew through way too many draft picks trying to compensate for his lack of cap space, especially at the TDL for players that were supposed to be the final piece of the puzzle and then never were.

With better cap management, the Leafs could have and should have used the UFA market to fill those same holes for nothing more than money which they have lots of.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Was extremely average.
Didn't do anything amazing, didn't do anything awful that sunk our team.
Now that we have money and there's alot of players that fit our team needs in free agency, this offseason will show alot in the quality of GM he is.
The greatest needs they can’t fill through FA. I wonder if there might be some big trades coming up.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
He better get his ass in gear. The draft is 5 days away and we only have half a team right now. They are working on an extension for Marner. I hope the deal doesn't have a NTC or NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad