Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You and me differ where I would trade/not sign just about anybody on the team even if the player is very likable, helped us win a cup, hard worker, etc but when it comes to Marchand I am on your side 100%.

Even with little faith in them, I know there is no way that this organization lets Marchand walk.

However, I think it shows Marchand that he might not be a very high priority when they're willing to overpay players like McQuaid and Miller but won't give Marchand an extra $500k a year.

I wouldn't just sign anybody. Brad isn't anybody. He is a very skilled player and some fans just can't see it. He gives 110% every shift.

How do you know that they won't pay Brad an extra 500k ?

I understand many of the trades even if I like the player. Marchand is a must sign IMO.

I know it isn't popular but I still think they should have at least tried to sign Looch.

Zac Rinaldo was a mistake....Jimmy H.....

I like the Quaider deal.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Why is there a rush to sign him? IMO it benefits the Bruins to wait until around January/February. He's likely not going to have a better season than last year but if he cools off this season the Bruins might be able to negotiate less.

It would also be good to wait and make sure last season wasn't just an anomaly (which I don't think it is).

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't just sign anybody. Brad isn't anybody. He is a very skilled player and some fans just can't see it. He gives 110% every shift.

How do you know that they won't pay Brad an extra 500k ?

I understand many of the trades even if I like the player. Marchand is a must sign IMO.

I know it isn't popular but I still think they should have at least tried to sign Looch.

Zac Rinaldo was a mistake....Jimmy H.....

I like the Quaider deal.

If we wait and he starts slow = discount

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Why is there a rush to sign him? IMO it benefits the Bruins to wait until around January/February. He's likely not going to have a better season than last year but if he cools off this season the Bruins might be able to negotiate less.

It would also be good to wait and make sure last season wasn't just an anomaly (which I don't think it is).

The closer a player gets to free agency the more likely said player is to elect going to it. I think that is the danger.

If you try to wait until January or February he might just say, "Well I'm almost there. Probably worth seeing what is out there anyway. I can still sign here."

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
The closer a player gets to free agency the more likely said player is to elect going to it. I think that is the danger.

If you try to wait until January or February he might just say, "Well I'm almost there. Probably worth seeing what is out there anyway. I can still sign here."

And, as we just saw, trade value will go down. Obviously I don't know what we did do, but we should have been pushing to sign him much earlier this offseason, with an eye on trading him if we couldn't close the gap. Plan A is to sign him. And the cost of Plan A may or may not change as the season progresses. But Plan B will only get less and less attractive until all we get for Marchand is cap space.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

This worked great with Erikkson.

I just hope they aren't nickel and diming him/offering him something so below market that its insulting. I'm still confident itll get done, but lets get a move on here.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
No problem to give him more than market to keep him if needed. These are the players you overpay to keep/get. Middle/Lower talent can easily be found. There aren' many Marchand in the league. He would easily get 49M/7y as a UFA.

Between Bergy and Krejci money will likely get it done. So why hasn't it happened yet?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
No problem to give him more than market to keep him if needed. These are the players you overpay to keep/get. Middle/Lower talent can easily be found. There aren' many Marchand in the league. He would easily get 49M/7y as a UFA.

Between Bergy and Krejci money will likely get it done. So why hasn't it happened yet?

Rumor is Bruins won't go $500k more

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What happens if they pay him $7+ and he's a 25/50 guy again?

Everybody's going to be good with that !

Bobby Carpenter scored 53 goals one year and never got over 32 in any other

We need a bigger sample

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Rumor is Vesey is coming to Boston.

I thought he signed with the Rangers. What happened

If the deal was voided I can't see his agent who represents Vatrano allows Vesey to compete with another client for the same spot - especially when Vatrano as a 21 year old scored 44 professional goals and Vesey a year older got 26 against 18 year old college kids in the Ivy League

Big difference in competition, age

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If Marchand gets more than $7m then I'll eat crow and admit I was wrong. However, the rumor was that he is asking for $7m so I doubt the Bruins are going to give him more than what he asked for.

I think the Bruins are trying to pay him $6.5

There was many 6M guys on the market this offseason. And Marchand is better than all of them.

He's also a top-goal scorer the past few years with minimal PP time and a top PKer.

Pretty unique player. Just like Lucic is/was. These guys get paid.

IMO, it end up between Bergy 6.875M cap hit or Krejci 7.25M one for 6-8y years. If the reported 49M/7y asking price is true, what is the hold up from management then? Do it Don. Time to act on something. Not many important moves since extending Krug and signing Backes. Time to start playing.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
There was many 6M guys on the market this offseason. And Marchand is better than all of them.

He's also a top-goal scorer the past few years with minimal PP time and a top PKer.

Pretty unique player. Just like Lucic is/was. These guys get paid.

IMO, it end up between Bergy 6.875M cap hit or Krejci 7.25M one for 6-8y years. If the reported 49M/7y asking price is true, what is the hold up from management then? Do it Don. Time to act on something. Not many important moves since extending Krug and signing Backes. Time to start playing.

Apparently there are literally thousands of reasons as to why they haven't signed him yet but nobody can give any except the WCH is going on.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I thought he signed with the Rangers. What happened

If the deal was voided I can't see his agent who represents Vatrano allows Vesey to compete with another client for the same spot - especially when Vatrano as a 21 year old scored 44 professional goals and Vesey a year older got 26 against 18 year old college kids in the Ivy League

Big difference in competition, age

:laugh:

Whatever helps you sleep better.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Rumor is Bruins won't go $500k more

Then they don't know what they are doing.

With Bergy, they are one of the best duo in the NHL.

Are playing together for years.

They won a Cup together.

Bergy is signed for 6y.

I would even give him 8y if that's what it would take so I have a Marchand-Bergy pair for the next 6y.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Then they don't know what they are doing.

With Bergy, they are one of the best duo in the NHL.

Are playing together for years.

They won a Cup together.

Bergy is signed for 6y.

I would even give him 8y if that's what it would take so I have a Marchand-Bergy pair for the next 6y.

He's talking **** about me because I said the Bruins are low-balling Marchand even though he doesn't think there is any proof minus the fact that he isn't signed and the reports are that he wants $7m. Also, Sweeney said over 2 months ago that he wanted to get the deal done quickly.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

We need a bigger sample

A 25/50 unique guy who is also fast, still young, top PKer and who is a pain to play against is easily worth 7M on the market.

Especially when the market this past summer was set at 6M for guys like Backes, Loui, Lucic, Okposo, Ladd. Marchand is better than all of them. And 7M ain't what it used to be. Top players will now ask for Toews/Kane/Kopitar money.

7M cap hit fits perfectly between Bergy and Krejci Cap hits. And give you a Bergy-Marchand duo for the next 7 years. More than a nice bridge for the next wave of young guys coming in.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

We need a bigger sample

As I've said before it is too bad he's UFA next July 1. If he had one more year on his present deal the Bruins would know whether he is trending upwards or just had a career year.

Maybe the Bruins should wait until December/January to get him signed :dunno:

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Maybe they've learned with Rask the dangers of signing a player after a career season?

Still risky business though, shame those 37 goals couldn't have gotten us into a playoff spot. At least Rask got us to the SCF before he cashed in.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

We need a bigger sample

What is this argument you keep using? People have opinions now on what he should get. Some of us will be right, some of us will be wrong. You haven't allowed this "point" once in regards to the Backes deal. "Oh I didn't know he's going to suck, I don't have a crystal ball." But you use it for a potential Marchand contract. "What about the risk! What will people say if Marchand is a 50 point guy?"

It's hypocritical.

How about you say what your absolute best contract offer would be, your drop-dead, I-walk-away-otherwise offer. You seem to be playing both sides of this. One day he's in the top 5% of players, the next he's never had 60 points (minus the 61 this past year). I really want to know the best offer you would give him before electing not to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad