Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
Marchand wouldn't get a cent more than 7 mil per on the open market, in my opinion. Lucic, Okposo and Eriksson all got 6 mil per this past summer, and the first two are the same age.

That being said, why he's not re-signed to 7/49 right now is baffling to me. Seemed to be the only no brainer heading into the summer.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You're a smarter person than this. Don't devolve yourself to hyperbole. Big difference between "Backes got 6 for 5 years with an NMC so Marchand should ask for 8" to what you've listed out above

If Marchand got 8m per, the list would remain at 0.;)

That's a 7-8m UFA player these days when you factor in everything else Marchand brings to the table. Just talking about scoring devaluates Brad Marchand as a player, even if he is the best goal scorer the Bruins have.

Focus. Breathe deep. That wasn't me

I think it's unfair to say most want that. I don't want that, you don't want that. Fans root for hometown discounts. All I'm saying is in the current market, why shouldn't Brad Marchand come to the negotiation table with an 8?

I'm asking a question, not rallying in the common for Brad Marchand to get fair pay, but that's where the market for players like him is. He's right in that tier of Jakub Voracek's of the world.

Below 7 as a line? I'd be highly surprised. It would be a delight no doubt, but I'd be highly surprised.

Why though? I keep asking...why? Why have you been completely on board with Sweeney burning money, but when it comes to Brad Marchand you're putting your foot down. That doesn't make sense to me

Jimmy Murphy.

I can't predict the future, but regardless yes there are people that will trash Sweeney no matter what. There are also people that will defend Sweeney no matter what. It is what it is

Three levers to pull on a deal. Term, Money, and on a smaller scale protections. I think where you're approaching this wrong is that fans care more about how they look on an internet message board than they do about the Bruins.

I hate the term on the Backes deal. Absolutely hate it. I don't know if that makes me a "cute" fan or whatever...but I know I'm not saying that to "protect" myself or whatever. I don't think most care about their online street cred. At the end of the day, if anyone gets anything right anyway they just get a "well hindsight is 20/20" no one ever actually admits they were wrong like a rational human being when they get a username and password.

That's great, not sure how it's relevant to Marchand at the negotiation table...but regardless people get things wrong. Just as you and I have gotten many things wrong. There are also people (what did that deadline poll thread show...60% of votes or something like that?) who thought the B's should sell at the deadline and use those assets to address the defense this summer. It's now September. The B's missed the playoffs in April and the defense has not been addressed.

Something we're all guilty of. Remember a couple weeks ago when Vesey went from our top prospect to 7th on our LW prospect depth chart?

That I do worry about a little bit, but I think at the end of the day in the locker room no one is out there comparing commas on their check...they're just worried about winning hockey games. Maybe some do, but overall I think that's a fair assumption to make.

But Marchand has let pressure get to him in the past, come playoff time, come scoring droughts, etc. so it's certainly an interesting idea...but that doesn't mean he hasn't earned the right to be paid more than players who he is superior to.

He scored over 60 points this past year. With 37 goals while being an elite PKer. As much as I would love Marchand to come in at a discount...this is also his prime contract. The incentive is there to get lots of money and lots of term. I don't doubt he knows his comparables...and many of them signed for 7+ w/ a smaller cap ceiling.

I think he does re-sign here, I hope it's soon. I just think it's for $7-7.5M per year. Doesn't make me cringe, but doesn't make me happy either.

Apologies about the length, but I wanted to take the time to address your points.

Brad I'd like you better if your memory wasn't so good :laugh:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Last year on a per 60 basis(because Brad Marchand can't control his own playing time)...Marchand sat on par with names Perry, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Giroux. All 8+ players

Take out the anomalies(Tyler Randall for President!) and Marchand was the 5th most effective goal scorer in the league. Above monsters like Malkin, Stamkos, Benn, Perry, Pavelski.

Drawing a LINE below 7 seems like a good way to see Marchand walk

How bout over the last 3 years? I think that's what separates Brad from those other guys.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How bout over the last 3 years? I think that's what separates Brad from those other guys.

But if Brad was at the same level of these guys in terms of production the last 3 years your probably talking 8.5 to 9.0 per, not 6.5 to 7.5.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I can picture Brad sitting in a drawing room with a fire going, a snifter of brandy and a cigar sitting on an end table, with a stack of Hoover-like ledgers, writing...

Dan...9/4/15...B's will be a 103 point team...

Joe...6/9/16...Heinen will be better than Connor...

Closes ledger and chuckles evilly.

:laugh:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I can picture Brad sitting in a drawing room with a fire going, a snifter of brandy and a cigar sitting on an end table, with a stack of Hoover-like ledgers, writing...

You should see the folder for when you guys have been right.

No, really, you should see it. I can't find it. So thin it probably went under the couch or something.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Panthers just signed RFA Huberdeau, a 23 year old one-time 20 goal 59 pts. scorer, to a 6 year 35.6M, 5.9M per cap hit contract.

Marshy gonna get PAID!!

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I had a bet at work the Bruins would get 96 points - dinner at Longhorn down the street
I'm at 86 points with 12 games left and they should blow by this and get 100-104

3-8-1 are you ******** me

member 96824

Please don't tell my wife...she's still not onto me yet!

"Whoops, forgot to do the dishes"

Oh it's lower no doubt, some of them more significantly than others. I'd be curious to break it out on the quality of that time (PP vs. ES. vs. PK) but don't have the time today unfortunately, maybe another day.

But putting this off(if it's the Bruins putting it off) does run the risk of Marchand having another great year like he did last year, being a contract year I don't know if it's all that out of the question...and then he's up there solidifying himself because 37 goals, 60 plus points becomes more of a trend than an outlier.

If Marchand repeats last year, I don't think it would move the market in terms of top end asking price, but I do think it brings the floor up and shrinks the room for negotiation from the B's end.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

No, really, you should see it. I can't find it. So thin it probably went under the couch or something.

Very funny.

I have probably been about 50/50, maybe a little better?

Was one of only a handful that thought Marchand would be a player, called the Hamill bust early on, was right about Sobotka and Soderberg being legit NHL players, etc.

Horribly wrong on Dave Lewis, thought he would be a good fit. Thought Bartkowski would be much better than he has turned out. There is probably a lot more I could put here, except I have blocked it from memory :laugh:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Please don't tell my wife...she's still not onto me yet!

"Whoops, forgot to do the dishes"

Oh it's lower no doubt, some of them more significantly than others. I'd be curious to break it out on the quality of that time (PP vs. ES. vs. PK) but don't have the time today unfortunately, maybe another day.

But putting this off(if it's the Bruins putting it off) does run the risk of Marchand having another great year like he did last year, being a contract year I don't know if it's all that out of the question...and then he's up there solidifying himself because 37 goals, 60 plus points becomes more of a trend than an outlier.

If Marchand repeats last year, I don't think it would move the market in terms of top end asking price, but I do think it brings the floor up and shrinks the room for negotiation from the B's end.

yeah I'm just hoping the Bruins can use the "it was only 1 year" argument as leverage to argue that he's a 7 million guy and not an 8 million guy. I would not even entertain the notion of a bridge deal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Marchand wouldn't get a cent more than 7 mil per on the open market, in my opinion. Lucic, Okposo and Eriksson all got 6 mil per this past summer, and the first two are the same age.

That being said, why he's not re-signed to 7/49 right now is baffling to me. Seemed to be the only no brainer heading into the summer.

I'd say it's a combination of Marchand believing he's worth more than that, and him and his agent would like to leverage off a potentially strong World Cup.

Seriously if Marchand goes out and has a huge tournament on that kind of stage, can only help his cause.

member 96824

Wow that's not even close to what it is at all.

I hate Brandy:naughty::naughty:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Marchand playing the world cup with Crosby is going to end up costing us another million per year, I can feel it.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I asked Wally if he would delete my wrong predictions on the locked threads so I wouldn't look bad and he told me when he retires and has a lot of time he will give it a shot

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If 7x7 is what it will take then that's actually great news

I doubt he's asking that, he might settle for that though (if he does that has to be considered a hometown discount).

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Not from HF his job. Wally's got twin yutes in college and 2 dogs so I don't think he's ready yet

My plan is to be the class of 2020 like the twins.

Unless they offer me an early layoff, then I'll take that and laugh all the way to the bank.

sportsvg

Dec 24, 2014
Ontario
That Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron line is going to be unreal

Wouldn't it be sweet if Marchy and Bergy light it up and Crosby gets no points. Then we could put to bed the idea of trying to find them the perfect 3rd wheel and just let them run a 2 man show with a warm (and cheap) 3rd body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad