Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
That's a really nice shot in the arm for Marchand. Hopefully he turns some heads and is a much better fit on that line than Kunitz was - that was so frustrating, watching Bergeron and Crosby have the puck the whole time, only to set up Kunitz and watch him flub the pass, miss the net by five feet or shoot a soft one directly at the goalies chest.

A little shout out for Bergeron - especially for you Americans who might not get the pulse up here as much. It's amazing how much respect he's earned over the past few years. It's not that long ago that a lot of people were questioning and disagreeing with him on the Sochi roster, and Vancouver before that... Now... no one even blinks with him on the top line of Canada. Even in Vancouver where Brad Marchand isn't exactly the most popular player... fans justify his inclusion and playing with Crosby because... of Bergeron.

That fans of other teams think of it as a given that he'll play on the 1st line - and even before the teams were picked - people wondered who would play LW with Crosby and Bergeron - not if he would be named, or centre the 3rd or 4th line or whatever. A lot of people think he's the second best Canadian forward.

It just kinda makes me smile.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
We should make retaining a guy like that a priority. Just my philosophy.

Great philosophy

I can't even imagine him not here

He wants them they want him and they need him

I think his maturity is matching his production as well - he's come a long way from Brat Marchand

Chris Kelly was great for this guy he learned from the best

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Brad Marchand > David Krejci now.

Brad Marchand > David Backes now.

Brad Marchand > David Krejci going forward.

Brad Marchand > David Backes going forward.

Me either.

Krejci - 53 goals in his last 246 games

Marchand - 86 goals in his last 236 games

Typically, centers are valued a little more than wings, and DK's deal was signed by a different GM. Bergeron make $6.9m, less than Krejci as well, even though he is > Krejci and Marchand.

Also, for full disclosure:

Krejci - 143 assists last 246 games

Marchand - 70 assists last 236 games

Apples and Oranges.

member 96824

Rusney Castillo makes $12 M a year and Sandoval $19 so Betts should get a billion dollars

Doesn't wok like that

You're a smarter person than this. Don't devolve yourself to hyperbole. Big difference between "Backes got 6 for 5 years with an NMC so Marchand should ask for 8" to what you've listed out above

Who are the forwards making $8 M that have never scored over 60 points

If Marchand got 8m per, the list would remain at 0.;)

My projections are 30/60 next 5 years to me

I would not give him $8M

That's a 7-8m UFA player these days when you factor in everything else Marchand brings to the table. Just talking about scoring devaluates Brad Marchand as a player, even if he is the best goal scorer the Bruins have.

Also I love the underrated stuff because other than Joe, and Kytem2, us 3 were the only ones on this board that at the time thought he was an NHL player

i had him as a 10-15 goal agitator, my kid and Joe though he was quick and skilled enough to get 20. Kytem just liked him. The rest of this place trashed him as useless

Focus. Breathe deep. That wasn't me

Now he's underrated and we want to pay him $8 M then what ?

Give him what he wants is many posters take it seems

If Matchand said I want 8/64 nmc

Most Bruins people would say pay him because they live in fear

I think it's unfair to say most want that. I don't want that, you don't want that. Fans root for hometown discounts. All I'm saying is in the current market, why shouldn't Brad Marchand come to the negotiation table with an 8?

I'm asking a question, not rallying in the common for Brad Marchand to get fair pay, but that's where the market for players like him is. He's right in that tier of Jakub Voracek's of the world.

I draw the line 6/40

Below 7 as a line? I'd be highly surprised. It would be a delight no doubt, but I'd be highly surprised.

Why though? I keep asking...why? Why have you been completely on board with Sweeney burning money, but when it comes to Brad Marchand you're putting your foot down. That doesn't make sense to me

Last year Jimmy Murphy said he was being shopped this time now he's ready to be a franchise piece

Jimmy Murphy.

He will sign he will get North of $7 and when he slumps and has hiccups Sweeney will be trashed for that deal

I can't predict the future, but regardless yes there are people that will trash Sweeney no matter what. There are also people that will defend Sweeney no matter what. It is what it is

I only hope HF leaves the threads on the days and weeks post signing so I have a reference to see the people who hate it down the road can see hot it was amazing signing

The smart posters will do what some cute fans do and love it but protect themselves by saying 'I really don't like the term this could be a problem' when they know full well there is no deal without it. You get the girl of your dreams but her otherwise homeless dead beat brother comes to.

Three levers to pull on a deal. Term, Money, and on a smaller scale protections. I think where you're approaching this wrong is that fans care more about how they look on an internet message board than they do about the Bruins.

I hate the term on the Backes deal. Absolutely hate it. I don't know if that makes me a "cute" fan or whatever...but I know I'm not saying that to "protect" myself or whatever. I don't think most care about their online street cred. At the end of the day, if anyone gets anything right anyway they just get a "well hindsight is 20/20" no one ever actually admits they were wrong like a rational human being when they get a username and password.

There are posters as in plural here currently saying Sweeney butchered the trade deadline yet when I went back and searched even 2 weeks after when they were in first place mid March were lauding the moves.

That's great, not sure how it's relevant to Marchand at the negotiation table...but regardless people get things wrong. Just as you and I have gotten many things wrong. There are also people (what did that deadline poll thread show...60% of votes or something like that?) who thought the B's should sell at the deadline and use those assets to address the defense this summer. It's now September. The B's missed the playoffs in April and the defense has not been addressed.

My psychiatrist occasionally plays word association and one day said 'hindsight' and a blurted out HF. Can't wait till Marchands first 8 game scoreless drought here

Something we're all guilty of. Remember a couple weeks ago when Vesey went from our top prospect to 7th on our LW prospect depth chart?

The one problem I have paying him 8 M is that does it change him from Brad Marchand the player we admire into a guy know looking to score and live up to the contract.

Making him the highest paid player could put added pressure and skew his game

That I do worry about a little bit, but I think at the end of the day in the locker room no one is out there comparing commas on their check...they're just worried about winning hockey games. Maybe some do, but overall I think that's a fair assumption to make.

But Marchand has let pressure get to him in the past, come playoff time, come scoring droughts, etc. so it's certainly an interesting idea...but that doesn't mean he hasn't earned the right to be paid more than players who he is superior to.

Like I have posted I give him 6/40 and nmc

He's never scored over 60 points and I'm not sure any forward out there is making over $7 M with that stat line

Had he got his usual 27ish he'd be looking at 5/30

He scored over 60 points this past year. With 37 goals while being an elite PKer. As much as I would love Marchand to come in at a discount...this is also his prime contract. The incentive is there to get lots of money and lots of term. I don't doubt he knows his comparables...and many of them signed for 7+ w/ a smaller cap ceiling.

I think he does re-sign here, I hope it's soon. I just think it's for $7-7.5M per year. Doesn't make me cringe, but doesn't make me happy either.

Apologies about the length, but I wanted to take the time to address your points.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Krejci is a set-up man, so I don't care about that.

Marchand is a possession monster, who plays against the opposition's best every night, and produces despite that (and without the benefit of power pay time).

Marchand does everything well, and even when he struggles the effort is there. Maybe Brad should be less skilled and then people would give him the Beleskey treatment ("But he tries so hard!").

I agree there is a lot more to it. Assists matter, defensive play, possession, etc, etc.

Both play both special teams, are assets defensively.

But at the end of the day the gap between the two in goal numbers is fairly wide. And that's not taking into account the number of goals scored 5 on 5/Short-handed vs. on the PP between the two.

But I agree with you, Marchand shouldn't settle for one penny less than Krejci, especially if the term is the same. Maybe you get him down to 7 if you give him the full 8 years.

I said above if he gets the Tarasenko deal (7.5) would anyone be shocked?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Typically, centers are valued a little more than wings, and DK's deal was signed by a different GM. Bergeron make $6.9m, less than Krejci as well, even though he is > Krejci and Marchand.

Also, for full disclosure:

Krejci - 143 assists last 246 games

Marchand - 70 assists last 236 games

Apples and Oranges.

Goals vs. Assists, I agree, apples to oranges.

I put more weight in goal-scoring ability than I do assists, mostly because of secondary assists.

Give me the break-down of primary assists over the same amount of games played.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

I put more weight in goal-scoring ability than I do assists, mostly because of secondary assists.

I already did.

member 96824

Last year on a per 60 basis(because Brad Marchand can't control his own playing time)...Marchand sat on par with names Perry, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Giroux. All 8+ players

Take out the anomalies(Tyler Randall for President!) and Marchand was the 5th most effective goal scorer in the league. Above monsters like Malkin, Stamkos, Benn, Perry, Pavelski.

Drawing a LINE below 7 seems like a good way to see Marchand walk

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I don't have the time (or inclination) to find the primary assist data, but have at it :laugh:

My main point was that players and contracts are different. For what Bergeron brings to the table, I think he should get more $$$ than Krejci...but he doesn't.

I'm hoping Marchand (like 37) comes in at less than $7m.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm just glad the first off-season priority was to extend Kevan Miller at full market value, otherwise we'd be going through this with two cornerstone players.

Maybe if Brad's agent was vesey's this would be done.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

There's really not a whole lot of centres that consistently put up great goal-scoring numbers as compared to wingers.
Taken to the extreme - Michael Ryder scored more than Marc Savard but no one is going to argue that he was better.

Unless that #1 winger is that much better, #1 centre is just a more valuable position.

Also - not to take anything away from Marchand - but he's played with Bergeron for most of those games.

Krejci has also played with a lot of shoot first forwards like Lucic, Horton, Iginla, etc.

Love Marchand, but if I put the entertainment of the two players to the side, I'd have a tough time deciding who actually helps you win more games between the two of them.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
You can't give Backes 6 per until he's 37 - a UFA who has gotten above 60 points once his career and above 30 goals twice (the last time was 2011) and then get mad about Brad wanting/the Bruins considering going 7 or above for Marchand.

I hate the Backes contract. Maybe I'm wrong and hopefully I'll eat my words. But I know if they give him that damn contract and then *****foot around with signing Marchand, that's not gonna work for me.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm just glad the first off-season priority was to extend Kevan Miller at full market value, otherwise we'd be going through this with two cornerstone players.

I'm guessing that Miller was not more of a priority, just easier to get done and out of the way.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't have the time (or inclination) to find the primary assist data, but have at it :laugh:

My main point was that players and contracts are different. For what Bergeron brings to the table, I think he should get more $$$ than Krejci...but he doesn't.

I'm hoping Marchand (like 37) comes in at less than $7m.

Pia8988 already had it done.

So if we just look at Goals + Primary Assists over that timeframe.

Krejci = 0.5406

Marchand = 0.5339

I'm with you on Bergeron being the most valuable out of 37/63/46, and all things being equal deserves the highest compensation.

Problem is his deal was signed when the cap was 64 million (even though the extension didn't go into effect until the season after).

Krejci signed with a 69 million salary cap (with his extension starting the season after as well).

Now your looking at extending Marchand early with a 73 million cap. That's a full 9 million higher than when Bergeron signed.

I'd love to see Marchand come in at less than 7 but I have no hopes of that happening.

Anywhere between 7 and 7.5 and I'm good. If he becomes Boston's highest paid player so be it.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm not a Killer fan, but I don't think I would be going out on a limb if I said the B's valued him more than you or I do (right or wrong).

Obviously. But that's not the point. The point is it was easy to do that deal because they gave him full market value (does anyone honestly think he would have done better if he hit free agency? I certainly do not).

McQuaid and Miller get top of the market deals. They pay top dollar on the market for Backes. Beleskey seemed to have come in under what most predicted, but we gave up the years and 3 years of a NMC.

Meanwhile Marchand is where we get worried about the cap?

I think that's an asinine way to operate.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You can't give Backes 6 per until he's 37 - a UFA who has gotten above 60 points once his career and above 30 goals twice (the last time was 2011) and then get mad about Brad wanting/the Bruins considering going 7 or above for Marchand.

I hate the Backes contract. Maybe I'm wrong and hopefully I'll eat my words. But I know if they give him that damn contract and then *****foot around with signing Marchand, that's not gonna work for me.

It wasn't 6 years it was 5 big difference

Eriksson got 6

My info could be wrong but don't worry about 63

Hope to see you at a game this year

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Obviously. But that's not the point. The point is it was easy to do that deal because they gave him full market value (does anyone honestly think he would have done better if he hit free agency? I certainly do not).

McQuaid and Miller get top of the market deals. They pay top dollar on the market for Backes. Beleskey seemed to have come in under what most predicted, but we gave up the years and 3 years of a NMC.

Meanwhile Marchand is where we get worried about the cap?

I think that's an asinine way to operate.

It's us worrying about it on a message board. Who says the B'a aren't prepared to pay Marchand full market value?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Vesey agent is Vatrano's;)

All about finding loving homes for the puppies

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
It wasn't 6 years it was 5 big difference

Eriksson got 6

5 years at 6 million per.

He's 32

That goes until he is 37. Actually the same age Loui will be when his contract is up.

And I'm not saying we should have signed Eriksson instead and I'm not saying Backes contract is bad (I don't like it, but objectively I completely understand why people do.)

I'm saying that you can't give Backes that contract, and then start counting your pretty pennies when Marchand asks for 7 or 8.

Do I think Marchand is an 8 million dollar player? No I don't. But I also think that given recent signings and his last season, it's entirely unsurprising he's asking for that. I also don't think he's going to sign for that.

But if we're gonna shell out money for a full market contract I want it to be Marchand. Not, as Mike has explained, Backes or McQuaid or Miller. Hell, I'd argue even more than Krejci (considering injury history) or Rask

EDIT: just saw the rest. Good to hear. He's one of the players who keeps me watching every game and I would hate to see him go. And I'm hoping to catch a few in Decemeber when I'm home - I'll let you know for sure.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It's us worrying about it on a message board. Who says the B'a aren't prepared to pay Marchand full market value?

I got a pitch fork at Home Depot and don't need to pay interest for 6 months

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

^^This.

God I hate it when there is no hockey. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to this glorified All-Star Game, No Hit, Shooting Gallery PR fest that is happening in Toronto.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
5 years at 6 million per.

He's 32

That goes until he is 37. Actually the same age Loui will be when his contract is up.

And I'm not saying we should have signed Eriksson instead and I'm not saying Backes contract is bad (I don't like it, but objectively I completely understand why people do.)

I'm saying that you can't give Backes that contract, and then start counting your pretty pennies when Marchand asks for 7 or 8.

Do I think Marchand is an 8 million dollar player? No I don't. But I also think that given recent signings and his last season, it's entirely unsurprising he's asking for that. I also don't think he's going to sign for that.

But if we're gonna shell out money for a full market contract I want it to be Marchand. Not, as Mike has explained, Backes or McQuaid or Miller. Hell, I'd argue even more than Krejci (considering injury history) or Rask

EDIT: just saw the rest. Good to hear. He's one of the players who keeps me watching every game and I would hate to see him go. And I'm hoping to catch a few in Decemeber when I'm home - I'll let you know for sure.

I don't think Backes plays a regular season game on that contract at 37.

Boston will have both in the end

Backes to me was the perfect guy and if his contract was 3 years I'd guess its approval rate would be 90%. My take the uproar is over the last 2 years but specifically year 5

However
1. No one has the video of his year 5 showing he sucks
2. He will make $4 M each of the final two years - not 6 M
3. His nmc changes to a modified NTC - that's significant

I thought it was well constructed by Sweeney - this is not a flat 6 anchor deal far from it

I have friends that loathed this deal till they realized the bells and whistles attached the final 40% of deal

It will all work out well in the end hope to c u at a game

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad