Player Discussion Brad Marchand IV - CONFIRMED signed 8 years @ 6.125/yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Simply question.

If you could get Marchand to sign for 6 years, but the cap hit would be 8 million (48 mil over 6 years), would you do it?

I'm not sure I would but I'd think long and hard about it.

I'm more concerned with term than cap hit to be honest.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Simply question.

If you could get Marchand to sign for 6 years, but the cap hit would be 8 million (48 mil over 6 years), would you do it?

How much more do you expect the salary cap to grow given the decline in the Canadian dollar?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
What happens if they pay him $7+ and he's a 25/50 guy again?

Everybody's going to be good with that !

Bobby Carpenter scored 53 goals one year and never got over 32 in any other

We need a bigger sample

I agree with this, it feels like the Bruins would be buying high. It sounds like they have expressed interest talked to his agent and that there is mutual interest from Marchand so for the $ give it some time and see how well he does this in the first half of the year.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Simply question.

I wouldn't pay Marchand $8 million per. I'm more worried about the cap hit generally.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Simply question.

Agreed. Bruins have been known to give too much term to the wrong players and I don't want that to happen again.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Simply question.

Think it's a little rich. $7m x 6 and I'd be a happy camper.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Oh! The GM said "quickly". With a deadline as firm as that and with such nuanced and sound reason, I guess you're right! They MUST be arguing over compensation. :laugh:

Hey man, don't be arguing with the context clues! I can't wait till they pull the mask off Don Sweeney to reveal Bergevin, who kidnapped Sweeney, took his place, and then lowballed Marshy.

. . . And he would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids! :sarcasm:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What is this argument you keep using? People have opinions now on what he should get. Some of us will be right, some of us will be wrong. You haven't allowed this "point" once in regards to the Backes deal. "Oh I didn't know he's going to suck, I don't have a crystal ball." But you use it for a potential Marchand contract. "What about the risk! What will people say if Marchand is a 50 point guy?"

It's hypocritical.

How about you say what your absolute best contract offer would be, your drop-dead, I-walk-away-otherwise offer. You seem to be playing both sides of this. One day he's in the top 5% of players, the next he's never had 60 points (minus the 61 this past year). I really want to know the best offer you would give him before electing not to sign him.

for someone like myself i think its the eye test we rely on... and traditional thinking. someone like backes has been his teams number 1 center... gotten selected to olympic teams... been given 20-21 mins of icetime on winning teams

theres an assumption hes very good so the main question is will he fall off? its not really a question what he is because that has been proven to the eye.

a guy like eriksson had a couple dissapointing seasons and then bounced back in a contract year. he did look good in his contract year but alot of us were remembering the 2 years prior.

this wedge in the crack opens the door to closer scruitny. none of these guys are sure things but there is a responsibilty for bruins management to access the risk reward potential

marchand is a special case... for years we thought he was a good little second line agitator. he fit well with bergeron.

but he was an under 17 min per night guy... not a pp guy.

when we listed our best players he was 6 or 7th on the list

then last year he had a career season... and even during this breakout season he was very average the last 20 games when our team fell apart and needed him

so in truth he played the best 60 games of his life and is nearing 30 and wanting a 6-7 year contract.

we all saw how brilliant he was last year... so the eye test says we need this guy... im sure dkh is like me and hopes marchand gets better and better and that we keep him... thats the hope

thats the fun thing to post...

thers no joy in posting that its risky to sign a guy after a career year. no fun for me to post that guys who rely on foot speed often peak before 30 and often suck by 31...

i think that is why we are wishy washy on marchand cause in our hearts we love this guy and want him to stay for that reason

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What is this argument you keep using? People have opinions now on what he should get. Some of us will be right, some of us will be wrong. You haven't allowed this "point" once in regards to the Backes deal. "Oh I didn't know he's going to suck, I don't have a crystal ball." But you use it for a potential Marchand contract. "What about the risk! What will people say if Marchand is a 50 point guy?"

It's hypocritical.

How about you say what your absolute best contract offer would be, your drop-dead, I-walk-away-otherwise offer. You seem to be playing both sides of this. One day he's in the top 5% of players, the next he's never had 60 points (minus the 61 this past year). I really want to know the best offer you would give him before electing not to sign him.

I am playing both sides because I'm guaranteed being right on one. I am losing confidence fast and to go 50% is better than 0.

I'd probably bend over and ask Marchy to be gentle.

I'd rather give him 6 yrs at say $7 and a full nmc anchor than 7/49 with 8-8-8-8-7-6-4 with it turning to a NTC

I don't want him highest paid because I don't want him to think he's got to be Joe Goal scorer.

I'll take 30/60 and the great D and PK play

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I am playing both sides because I'm guaranteed being right on one. I am losing confidence fast and to go 50% is better than 0.

I'd rather give him 6 yrs at say $7 and a full nmc anchor than 7/49 with 8-8-8-8-7-6-4 with it turning to a NTC

I don't want him highest paid because I don't want him to think he's got to be Joe Goal scorer.

you make a great point... call it the david clarkson curse

there are a lot of underground fan cult favorites that get labled as underrated... and then poof comes the huge contract

now these fan favorites feed off being favorites and dont want to let the fans down... these guys change their game to try to earn their new pay scale... and far too often disaster strikes.

i hate seeing heros like clarkson and bolland and even chris kelly become whipping boys for their fan base as they wind down their careers simply because of these longterm overpaid contracts.

at some point a guys legacy is more important than an extra 100 or 200k on a 5-6 mill contract.

i hope whatever deal my hero signs for... my hero earns... because letting money taint my heros legacy sucks

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I hadn't noticed! Haha.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
you make a great point... call it the david clarkson curse

there are a lot of underground fan cult favorites that get labled as underrated... and then poof comes the huge contract

now these fan favorites feed off being favorites and dont want to let the fans down... these guys change their game to try to earn their new pay scale... and far too often disaster strikes.

i hate seeing heros like clarkson and bolland and even chris kelly become whipping boys for their fan base as they wind down their careers simply because of these longterm overpaid contracts.

at some point a guys legacy is more important than an extra 100 or 200k on a 5-6 mill contract.

i hope whatever deal my hero signs for... my hero earns... because letting money taint my heros legacy sucks

53bea7c039f3f70870f934e5.jpg

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Marchand is more quick than fast. Can you be quick at 36?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
But is this (Marchand) a case of it being the wrong player? I don't think so.

If Marchand is the wrong player (skill, speed, AND defense) and Lucic was the wrong player (brute force), and Boychuk wasn't even worth discussing an extension with, then there is no right player for this team I think.

I had always been OK with the Peverley extension and not the Kelly one, even though Peverley is the one we dumped with Seguin. Speed, skill, defense. That is a combination that is tough to beat.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
No problem if we just let him play out the year and test the market. Hate the thought of losing him but hes just a little too old to be giving that extra year or full NMC to. The only monster multi year off is going to come from somewhere like Edmonton if he wants to go that route nothing we can do about it.

Well there is a problem the entitled dummies who will demand we trade him instead of let him walk for nothing when we are in a top playoff spot like happened with Loui. Ignoring that is easier said than done when people worship at the alter of an out and out hater like Felger and lap up all he says.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

It's all subjective. I can name a lot of players that I think were given too much in regards to term.

Oh! The GM said "quickly". With a deadline as firm as that and with such nuanced and sound reason, I guess you're right! They MUST be arguing over compensation. :laugh:

No. I get it. The Bruins upper management can do no wrong. You're right. :shakehead

But is this (Marchand) a case of it being the wrong player? I don't think so.

You're right. I didn't mean to say that Marchand would be one of the wrong players. But everybody has a limit on how long they can produce. Minus Jagr.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
They just gave Backes 6 per till 36, and his body is in shambles compared to Brad. You're worried about Brad holding up to 36 now?

Hyperbole much? Backes is one of the most durable players in the league. The guy has missed only 24 games in 10 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad