Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Are you forgetting his dad is the ' Canadian- side' and will for sure be involved in his North American/Canadian hockey future.
I get that once signed to an NHL team, that team has the say over his development and journey, professionally.
Hopefully falling so far in the draft will scare Lambert and his dad straight. He's by no means a lock to make the NHL. If he wants to make it, he'll have to work hard and do exactly what the Jets tell him. He's got no leverage to force his way onto another team.

To Lambert's credit, he's saying all the right things. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I will maintain that the best thing for his development is a season where he gets a chance to produce offense in a solid league on a good team. The CHL is far from a walk in the park. There is a laundry list of top NHL players that went back to the CHL in their draft +1 season. Lambert is in no way, shape, or form too good for the CHL.
It will likely help his confidence immensely.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My completely uninformed opinion thinks not this season. At a guess, a year in the WHL first, then probably goes on the Moose.
That lines up pretty well for the Jets considering their contract situations. With Scheif/Dubois/Wheeler all potentially gone in two seasons that's probably the best time to integrate Lambert into the NHL with meaningful minutes after a season learning the NA pro game with the moose.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Put Lambert in Seattle and let him dominate against his peers, then the next year in 23/24 send him to the Moose, build that team around him, Luciuz, Rashevsky, Chibrikov, Kuzmin etc. and develop them all together for an AHL season. That way after the fallout from Scheifele, Wheeler and Dubois pissing off out of Winnipeg, they'll get those opportunities for those spots and fill out the lineup after a full season developing in the AHL.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Put Lambert in Seattle and let him dominate against his peers, then the next year in 23/24 send him to the Moose, build that team around him, Luciuz, Rashevsky, Chibrikov, Kuzmin etc. and develop them all together for an AHL season. That way after the fallout from Scheifele, Wheeler and Dubois pissing off out of Winnipeg, they'll get those opportunities for those spots and fill out the lineup after a full season developing in the AHL.
TNSE may sell out more moose games than Jets games depending on if they have to ship guys out for that year and thats our AHL squad.

Also, we very well may have one of the fastest team in the league if guys like Chibrikov and Lambert are ready to be NHLers in 2 years. 4 of our top wingers would be Connor, Ehlers, Lambert, and Chibrikov. Not to mention some great finishers in Rash, Lucius, and McGroarty breaking into the league.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
With no ELC yet, is anyone else kinda getting worried that maybe he intends to not sign an ELC with Jets and intends re-enter the draft in 2 years? I don't think it is particularly likely but considering how things have been going with the Jets as of late, I would be lying if I said that that thought didn't cross my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
With no ELC yet, is anyone else kinda getting worried that maybe he intends to not sign an ELC with Jets and intends re-enter the draft in 2 years? I don't think it is particularly likely but considering how things have been going with the Jets as of late, I would be lying if that thought didn't cross my mind.
Nope, that has never even crossed my mind lol

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
With no ELC yet, is anyone else kinda getting worried that maybe he intends to not sign an ELC with Jets and intends re-enter the draft in 2 years? I don't think it is particularly likely but considering how things have been going with the Jets as of late, I would be lying if that thought didn't cross my mind.
Did I not post that a while back? I guess not. I had it all written out and then I figured no, I better not post it because someone is just going to think I'm some paranoid pessimist. Which of course, I am. :laugh:

Yes, I'm thinking dropping so far in the draft might impact his ELC performance bonuses and meddling Dad will tell him to take another shot in a couple of years, after no doubt tearing up whatever league Dad decides he should be in. :sarcasm:

I hope we're wrong, but this could be one of those ass-biters.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
With no ELC yet, is anyone else kinda getting worried that maybe he intends to not sign an ELC with Jets and intends re-enter the draft in 2 years? I don't think it is particularly likely but considering how things have been going with the Jets as of late, I would be lying if I said that that thought didn't cross my mind.
Is it even allowed to sign ELC contract in NHL and then play in WHL?
If i'm not mistaken CHL players will not get salary or paid other way to play junior hockey or am i totally wrong?
Just thinking that can Lambert even sign with Jets this year if Jets are planning to put Lambert in Seattle?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If i'm not mistaken CHL players will not get salary or paid other way to play junior hockey or am i totally wrong?
Just thinking that can Lambert even sign with Jets this year if Jets are planning to put Lambert in Seattle?

Yeah he's able to do that. You can't sign and play for the NCAA.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Yes, players do it all the time. Luciuz signed his ELC and has the same options of playing NHL, AHL or WHL in Portland.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Well, we haven't signed McGroarty to an ELC yet either (unless I somehow missed that?).

I'm not going to worry until there's something to worry about.

That way, I can point out how we should have drafted Chelsey instead :sarcasm:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Well, we haven't signed McGroarty to an ELC yet either (unless I somehow missed that?).

I'm not going to worry until there's something to worry about.

That way, I can point out how we should have drafted Chelsey instead :sarcasm:
McGroarty is going to the NCAA, he can't sign an ELC unless he plans to go pro or to the OHL.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yeah he's able to do that. You can't sign and play for the NCAA.
Thanks for that.
Now lets wait and see where Lambert plays season 2022-2023.
I truly hope Lambert is able to prove his doubters ( including me ) wrong this coming season ( 2022-2023 ).

Too bad Finnish sport channels can't show CHL hockey in Finland.
But at least i can see Brad playing in U20 WJC's twice this season.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Did I not post that a while back? I guess not. I had it all written out and then I figured no, I better not post it because someone is just going to think I'm some paranoid pessimist. Which of course, I am. :laugh:

Yes, I'm thinking dropping so far in the draft might impact his ELC performance bonuses and meddling Dad will tell him to take another shot in a couple of years, after no doubt tearing up whatever league Dad decides he should be in. :sarcasm:

I hope we're wrong, but this could be one of those ass-biters.
I believe NHL teams have four years to sign players they draft out of a European league, it's two years for players drafted out of a league in North America.

"Teams that draft a player from a European club have exclusive rights to sign the player to a contract for four years. However, if the player is from a North American club, the NHL team has only two years of exclusive rights."

Found this in an old article...not sure if it's still the same rules though.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
No even a worry at this point and shouldn’t be for the Jets either. They should be focusing on improving their NHL roster

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I believe NHL teams have four years to sign players they draft out of a European league, it's two years for players drafted out of a league in North America.

"Teams that draft a player from a European club have exclusive rights to sign the player to a contract for four years. However, if the player is from a North American club, the NHL team has only two years of exclusive rights."

Found this in an old article...not sure if it's still the same rules though.
That would seem to still be in effect. I guess I can put my paranoia on hold for a couple of years now. :nod:

Reactions: Oilpeg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think he'll sign it after WJC

Reactions: MardyBum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad