Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Sounds legit crazy, but it's earned in full the way things are now.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Wait, you’re using 3 years younger as a negative?

Also you lost any credibility you have by saying Jones is better. He’s not even close and almost no one will agree with you.

Beyond Bruin fans, most of the comments are negative. He's far overpaid and will only get worse in time. Jones and Werenski played on a terrible team and their numbers were suppressed, but they still outscored McAvoy and played more games each season.

If you want to get technical, compare salaries based on age consider 24 and under DMen:
  • Werenski - $9.58M (starts 2022/23);
  • McAvoy - $9.5M ;
  • Makar - $9.0M;
  • Heiskanen - $8.45M
  • Chabot - $8.0M;
  • QHughes - $7.85M;
  • Provorov - $6.75M;
  • Dahlin - $6.0M.
There is no justification for this salary for an often injured player.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Beyond Bruin fans, most of the comments are negative. He's far overpaid and will only get worse in time. Jones and Werenski played on a terrible team and their numbers were suppressed, but they still outscored McAvoy and played more games each season.

If you want to get technical, compare salaries based on age consider 24 and under DMen:
  • Werenski - $9.58M 9starts next year);
  • McAvoy - $9.5M ;
  • Makar - $9.0M;
  • Heiskanen - $8.45M
  • Chabot - $8.0M;
  • QHughes - $7.85M;
  • Provorov - $6.75M;
  • Dahlin - $6.0M.

yeah there is, he’s better than all of them

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

• Werenski - $9.58M;
  • McAvoy - $9.5M ;
  • Makar - $9.0M;
  • Heiskanen - $8.45M
  • Chabot - $8.0M;
  • QHughes - $7.85M;
  • Provorov - $6.75M;
  • Dahlin - $6.0M.

Love how you simultaneously point out that he’s under 24 but his contract will also get worse with time like he’s already peaked or something.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

• McAvoy - $9.5M ;
  • Makar - $9.0M;
  • Heiskanen - $8.45M
  • Chabot - $8.0M;
  • QHughes - $7.85M;
  • Provorov - $6.75M;
  • Dahlin - $6.0M.
What? He's 23...

Reactions: nbwingsfan

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Feels expensive now, especially in comparison to the "Bergeron Cap", but should be fine in a couple years as the cap goes up.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Looks like a totally fair deal, people crying about overpayment are living 10 years in the past.

Reactions: CDJ

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm always used to seeing Bruins players take way less than market value, so strange to see a player take what seems to be about fair value when using comparisons lol

Weird to see but good for McAvoy cashing in and getting what he deserves!!

Seems about fair for both sides

Reactions: CDJ

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Hockey fans are going to have to wrap their heads around the fact its not 2011 anymore. I dont know why people are always suprised by these cap hits as if first liners are still supposed to be paid 7 million dollars

upload_2021-10-15_9-43-25.gif

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Franchise defenseman, perennial Norris candidate, you've gotta lock that down. He wouldn't give the discount that Bergeron/Marchand did, but you just have to admit he's worth it to anchor your defense.

In 8 years, $9.5 million will be nothing anyway.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Obviously there’s some sticker shock at 9.5 AAV but McAvoy is assuredly worth that. I’d take him before every other dman except Makar that signed this summer

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
The kid has talent and potential but not sure if he has show $9.5M worth of potential.

I honestly don't think it's a signing based on "potential". If this is what he is for the next 9 seasons, there is no complaints from me. He's an all situations #1 defenseman who's been remarkably consistent for a young player. The alpha on the blueline. I just don't think many people realize just how much has been put on his shoulders since day 1. He basically took the reigns from Chara as a rookie 4 years ago and hasn't looked back. The Bruins have statistically been the best defensive team in the league since that point.... They were in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with him has their #1 D at the age of 21...

All of the important boxes have already been checked IMO. The only two legitimate questions are can he produce on the top PP (if given time) and can he stay healthy. I'm not even sure the latter is even a concern given how little he's missed the past couple seasons. Most people expected his PP numbers to take a spike last year with Krug departing, but for much of the season Grzelyck and other LH options were forced down our throats. He did have 8 PP points in 11 playoff games as a top option though. Again, he's likely going to the that guy with Pastrnak, Hall, Marchand, and Bergeron this season.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC

• McAvoy - $9.5M ;
  • Makar - $9.0M;
  • Heiskanen - $8.45M
  • Chabot - $8.0M;
  • QHughes - $7.85M;
  • Provorov - $6.75M;
  • Dahlin - $6.0M.
Oof

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How is he only 23 lol... I swear he's been in the league waaaaaay longer.

Obviously if I really thought about it I'd realize he's still so young but honesty it's just like I assumed he was around the 27/28 years old mark... feels like he's been in the league forever

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think he’s technically worth this amount, but this could be a killer when building a roster going forward. They’ve been lucky with the discounts on that top line, but if that sort of value isn’t continuing, they may be screwed

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The one time Sweeney doesn't get something resembling a discount. Weird.

Also gotta love all the smooth brains claiming "reee not worth it!" when the dude is absolutely money at both ends of the ice at even strength. His power play production has been lackluster but that's also because he never got to play on the first unit. Cassidy loved running a top heavy first unit (Bergeron line/Krejci and Gryz at point) leaving him to play with a bunch of jabronis on the second unit.

With Krejci gone, he should be the guy who gets a chance to play with the big guns and could see an uptick in production.

Man is a monster at 5v5 alone should be enough to justify this

Reactions: EON and BaBaBruins

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
The one time Sweeney doesn't get something resembling a discount. Weird.

Also gotta love all the smooth brains claiming "reee not worth it!" when the dude is absolutely money at both ends of the ice at even strength. His power play production has been lackluster but that's also because he never got to play on the first unit. Cassidy loved running a top heavy first unit (Bergeron line/Krejci and Gryz at point) leaving him to play with a bunch of jabronis on the second unit.

With Krejci gone, he should be the guy who gets a chance to play with the big guns and could see an uptick in production.

Man is a monster at 5v5 alone should be enough to justify this

people would rather say he is overrated before looking at stats that prove them wrong. You can’t fix stupid. This is a great day to be a bruins fan .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad