Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Fair value for a top 5 defenseman just entering his prime. This isn't one of the 8 year cringe contracts bringing players into their mid thirties.

Much rather give this contract than Nurse or Hamilton as well.

I would not call it a discount, that was his bridge contract. This is simply a well deserved value for a defenseman of McAvoy's dominance.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Only number I care about is the 8 years. He has been given so much responsibility with massive shoes to fill and consistently exceeds expectations. The longer we waited, the higher the cap would have been.

Thrilled to have him here for the next 9 years and hopefully more.

Reactions: BTO

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Terrible overpayment by $2M per.

Comparable deal to better player Jones that played on a bad team and still outscored him repeatedly. He's also 3 years younger and constantly injured missing nearly 20% of the games every season.

McAvoy is actually earning more considering he will be injured again and the last few seasons could be ugly.

How dare McAvoy have a heart condition treated, or be hit in the head. This type of post is there for all to see... I think much higher of Jones than most but McAvoy is better as well.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Fair value for a top 5 defenseman just entering his prime. This isn't one of the 8 year cringe contracts bringing players into their mid thirties.

Much rather give this contract than Nurse or Hamilton as well.

I would not call it a discount, that was his bridge contract. This is simply a well deserved value for a defenseman of McAvoy's dominance.
Yeah I don't think this is a discount at all, but I do think it is the best *value* of the similar-level contracts. Mainly because those contracts are f***ing terrible.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Yeah I don't think this is a discount at all, but I do think it is the best *value* of the similar-level contracts. Mainly because those contracts are f***ing terrible.

Similar to Bergeron in 2013, it’s big money (market value, maybe a LITTLE less) now but will look better over time as the cap rises.

He’s become one of the top defensemen in the league and losing him was not an option. I have no problem paying a young, proven #1D. Great deal for both sides especially considering the ludicrous D deals this summer.

Reactions: topshelf15

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Similar to Bergeron in 2013, it’s big money (market value, maybe a LITTLE less) now but will look better over time as the cap rises.

He’s become one of the top defensemen in the league and losing him was not an option. I have no problem paying a young, proven #1D. Great deal for both sides especially considering the ludicrous D deals this summer.

Same thing Dubas thought, with that being said he's a top 10 D man in the league seems like pretty fair value. 9.5M long term for a legitimate #1D.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Terrible overpayment by $2M per.

Comparable deal to better player Jones that played on a bad team and still outscored him repeatedly. He's also 3 years younger and constantly injured missing nearly 20% of the games every season.

McAvoy is actually earning more considering he will be injured again and the last few seasons could be ugly.
Wait, you’re using 3 years younger as a negative?

Also you lost any credibility you have by saying Jones is better. He’s not even close and almost no one will agree with you.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Really it isn't. Dude has never played a whole season due to injury and what not. Though it has been better the last 2 with 5 missed last season and I think 3-4 the one before but his first two seasons he missed a ton of games.

Can he be worth this contract, damn straight. Is it a sure thing? No. He basically got the same contract as Seth Jones without having done as much as Jones in the NHL and I am not even sure Jones is worth the deal he got.
At a younger age he’s already better than Jones.

He missed some games his first two seasons, so what

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
At a younger age he’s already better than Jones.

He missed some games his first two seasons, so what
Ya no he is not better but about even. He brings thing Jones doesn't and Jones brings thing he doesn't. He has also played his 4 year career on a much better team that Jones has most of his career.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
The amount of Bruins' fans I'm seeing on twitter knocking this deal is only surpassed by the number of other teams' fans doing the same. It's hilarious on both accounts. Kid might very well be the best 5-on-5 D in the league at 23... with room to improve on a loaded PP1. Solid signing for Boston (I reserve 'great' for seriously below-market-value deals like Marchand, Makar, etc.)... Boston will be entering the rebuild phase relatively soon (2-3 years probably at most) but to have a franchise pillar locked into a good deal for the duration is excellent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad