Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
Couldn't be happier! He is the most valuable asset the Bruins have right now, even if it is a bit of an overpayment I wouldn't bat an eyelash at the term or AAV.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Comparing apples to oranges. One getting 6 years after ELC, so mostly RFA years and other one 8 years mostly UFA years. How hard it's for people to understand, how to compare deals. How long those are, what years and compare those to cap. (And others said about their player type already.)

Exactly. McAvoy has already burned through his ELC and is on the last season of a 3 year $4.9M bridge contract.

He'll hit UFA at 32 years old. Personally, I think that's what makes this deal so great. He's basically been a #1 defenseman on a top team since the age of 19 and he's locked up through his prime without even a threat of hitting free agency.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Add in Pelech and Pulock at 8 years each around $97 M total, and that's like 10 guys totaling around $610 million dollars from the summer until now.

Defensemen are getting paid. Good deal for McEvoy, guys a stud.
Yeah, I had set an arbitrary bar at 7M+ AAV, but you're right: by sheer dollar amount they should both be in there.

I'll see your Pelech/Pulock, and I'll raise you another one: Parayko. 8 years, and 52 Million. So that's at least 662 million bucks on 11 blueliners. It really was the summer of the D-man.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
If you factor his play last year over an 82 game season, he would've averaged >60points.

If you want to factor in his playoff success, he had 42points in 62games all while playing limited PP time and against other teams top lines.

He's the modern day version of D.Doughty....will be elite on both sides of the ice.
He literally comes no where close to 60 points. What kind of math are you using. His highest scoring pace is still under 50 points....

(30/51) x 82= 48 points

Reactions: TML1990

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
His contract comparables are Nurse and Jones who he is better than. Not Makar. This is not a surprising or bad AAV.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You can't compare Makar's 2nd contract with McAvoy's 3rd contract. The average of AAVs for McAvoy's first 6 years post-ELC comes out to $7.2 mil. Makar is at $9 mil.

Boston traded long-term pain for short-term gain. Colorado didn't.

Goes both ways, when Makar's deal is up he will still be under 30 and will get PAID

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Terrible take, run along.
Really it isn't. Dude has never played a whole season due to injury and what not. Though it has been better the last 2 with 5 missed last season and I think 3-4 the one before but his first two seasons he missed a ton of games.

Can he be worth this contract, damn straight. Is it a sure thing? No. He basically got the same contract as Seth Jones without having done as much as Jones in the NHL and I am not even sure Jones is worth the deal he got.

Reactions: Patagonia

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Add in Pelech and Pulock at 8 years each around $97 M total, and that's like 10 guys totaling around $610 million dollars from the summer until now.

Defensemen are getting paid. Good deal for McEvoy, guys a stud.
Pelech and Pulock are on sweetheart deals IMO. Obviously its still a lot of money in the grand scheme of things compared to us but they are getting paid below market value. Good on Lou.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Really it isn't. Dude has never played a whole season due to injury and what not. Though it has been better the last 2 with 5 missed last season and I think 3-4 the one before but his first two seasons he missed a ton of games.

Can he be worth this contract, damn straight. Is it a sure thing? No. He basically got the same contract as Seth Jones without having done as much as Jones in the NHL and I am not even sure Jones is worth the deal he got.
McAvoy is a sure thing.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Didn't do the Bruins discount thing, but overall thats about market value for him. Not bad.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wow, I like McAvoy but I don't think he's in the elite class. I viewed him as a 7 million a year guy, but I guess Boston needs the next wave of core players and he is one. He is just too injury prone but at least his extension starts when he is 24 and not like 29....

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Terrible overpayment by $2M per.

Comparable deal to better player Jones that played on a bad team and still outscored him repeatedly. He's also 3 years younger and constantly injured missing nearly 20% of the games every season.

McAvoy is actually earning more considering he will be injured again and the last few seasons could be ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad