Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Would have loved to see the Heiskanen deal but I guess there were more RFA years in there.

I'm glad they did this before the season because he's going to open up a lot of eyes with #1 PP time.

Reactions: DBL84

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Will they use him there now? Which Dman on the PP is in his way?
They play Gryz with the top unit more, largely cause he's a left shot like Krug was, so it interrupted the flow less when he left. And obviously, before he left, Krug played PP1 over Mac (with 4 forwards). I think that will change this year though.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They play Gryz with the top unit more, largely cause he's a left shot like Krug was, so it interrupted the flow less when he left. And obviously, before he left, Krug played PP1 over Mac (with 4 forwards). I think that will change this year though.
The PP points will come....the kid is a good player....
The 9.5M contracts among young Dmen, are hard to swallow...at least the young guys will produce, unlike the Karrlsson and Doughty type deals, where the dudes are older...with an 11M cap hit.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
If you factor his play last year over an 82 game season, he would've averaged >60points.

If you want to factor in his playoff success, he had 42points in 62games all while playing limited PP time and against other teams top lines.

He's the modern day version of D.Doughty....will be elite on both sides of the ice.
Your math is horrendous. He was on pace for <50 points which was the first time in his career.
Jones/Nurse/etc has destroyed the D market in this league. Lots of teams are going to regret these deals sooner rather than later

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Easily one of the best defenseman in his own zone. His point production will come as he sees more PP time and develops his offensive game at bit more. This contract is going to look like a steal in a few years

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I thought it would be 9.5. He wasn't getting less than Nurse or Jones, and Friedman was saying less than 10.

Seems like a fair deal to me. But I'm left wondering: what's it going to take for a dman to get back to get back into that 10M+ range? I guess Fox will be the guy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is market value for a player of this ilk. Those screaming overpayment are really unaware of the current defenseman market.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Sick player but 9.5 is to much imo. Career high of 32 points. Making more than Makar??

I'm guessing the Bruins wanted to get him locked up long term before letting him take the reigns on the top PP unit with Marchand, Pastrnak, Bergeron, and Hall. :laugh:

The PP is really the only area he hasn't excelled at. And I think that has generally been a lack of opportunity for whatever reason (mostly Torey Krug prior to last season). His even strength offensive numbers are top notch.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I thought it would be 9.5. He wasn't getting less than Nurse or Jones, and Friedman was saying less than 10.

Seems like a fair deal to me. But I'm left wondering: what's it going to take for a dman to get back to get back into that 10M+ range? I guess Fox will be the guy.

What is it going to take? More UFA years in the deal and a non-flat cap.

Reactions: soothsayer

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Dayummm.

McEvoy is a cornerstone player though. Jealous the Bruins get to roll this guy for the next decade.

This summer is crazy for Dmen getting paid. Jones, Hamilton, Hughes, Makar, McAvoy, Nurse, Werenski. Wild stuff

edit: damn, I even forgot about Miro Hesikenen . That's 514 million+ in contract dollars handed out to these guys since June. Insane

way-to-go-dave-chappelle.gif

Add in Pelech and Pulock at 8 years each around $97 M total, and that's like 10 guys totaling around $610 million dollars from the summer until now.

Defensemen are getting paid. Good deal for McEvoy, guys a stud.

Reactions: CanuckCity

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He is worth that as the market has dictated,but kinda wish they could have signed him earlier ..To maybe get a discount...Oh well ,Boston has their best defender locked up Iam sure they are good with it

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
And very glad the Bruins locked up McAvoy at this rate before his point totals explode playing on the PP with Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta and Hall. I would have McAvoy as my Norris favorite today given his proven 5v5 impact and him finally being given the keys to the PP.

I can't believe the guy wasn't getting PP time already. Didn't realize that. I have him on my Norris short list too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad