Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not super related to this extension but whats the Bruins plan long term? No prospects, Bergeron might retire. Seems like they might not be great next year
Why would Bergeron retire while he’s still a 70+ pt player?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm not sure how "big" this contract really will be. Pelech and Pulock have kinda set a decent range for top-pairing, "defensive" defensemen.

I think McAvoy is elite, but he doesn't have the raw production to really be in the outer stratosphere of comparable defensemen contracts.

Who do you view as his comparables? He had 30 points last year playing extremely hard minutes without the benefit of a ton of PP time.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
McAvoy will be the age that Petry is right now at the end of his 8 year extension. The cap will continue to go up - in fact, it will go up marginally during Petry's deal but MASSIVELY during McAvoys. And, yes, McAvoy is absolutely better than Petry. Petry is underrated, but McAvoy is, too.

I wouldn’t be so confident about that. We may be looking at 2026-27, 2027-28 or 2028-29 before the cap sees anything more then a $1m year over year increase.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I wouldn’t be so confident about that. We may be looking at 2026-27, 2027-28 or 2028-29 before the cap sees anything more then a $1m year over year increase.

I may be off in my understanding of things, then - my thought was it was expected to basically flatline til 2025-2026 and then start to jump from there on out - so basically halfway through McAvoys deal. I am certainly far less informed than you, though - especially on that front.

That said, even with a stagnant cap, I suspect McAvoy will earn his keep so long as he's in the range of the other D contracts signed this year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I may be off in my understanding of things, then - my thought was it was expected to basically flatline til 2025-2026 and then start to jump from there on out - so basically halfway through McAvoys deal. I am certainly far less informed than you, though - especially on that front.

That said, even with a stagnant cap, I suspect McAvoy will earn his keep so long as he's in the range of the other D contracts signed this year.

Personally I was originally optimistic it could jump in 2025-26. After collecting more information and number crunching I’m becoming increasingly pessimistic it’s going to take longer.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What caused the change of opinion?

The escrow debt balance the players owe to the owners turned out to be larger then I was expecting. $1.1B to $1.2B entering this season.

And it appears the payback is going to take longer then I originally projected as so many teams are continuing to spend to the cap or exceed it with LTIR.

I’m still crunching a lot of numbers. Plan to post some best case/worst case scenarios on the Business of Hockey forum sometime in the next week.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Pelech & Pulock combined for 1 more pt than McAvoy last season.

Worst season statistcially of Pulock's career. Prior to that, he and McAvoy basically average the same amount of points.

That being said, I think McAvoy's a much better player. I would think 8x8 would be enough but after some of the contracts handed out he's got every right to look for more.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Who do you view as his comparables? He had 30 points last year playing extremely hard minutes without the benefit of a ton of PP time.

Heiskanen probably is what he's going for. I don't think he'll be able to break the $9M barrier without the raw counting stats.

Reactions: BBBruins

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

There is some rumors that in 3 or 4 years that it might hit 90 million.

Projections and predictions everywhere are wild.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Fair signing. Give every team in the league 9.5mil in compliance buyouts and a feee Charlie McAvoy (at 9.5m) and every team takes that deal and improves significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad