Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Pay him whatever he wants, he's a stud
McAvoy/Fox/ Makar are the premier D in the league. Not only for they’re age range, but as a whole overall. Yes there are other good/very good D-men but these 3 are a cut above. Any one of them could win the Norris on any given year.
I expect both McAvoy and Fox s new deals to be similar to what makar got, give or take a million at most, one way or the other.

Hedman is 30 at this point in time, but still at a level where he can contend for the Norris as well.
Still a beast.

as an American, I wish 1 of McAvoy /Fox were left handed. I’d love to see a McAvoy-Fox 1St pair at the olympics

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I hope this gets done quickly and fairly for both sides. This kid has worked hard to get to this point in his career and deserves to be paid , but with that said you want to have room for the rest of your roster with some room to make a competitive team .

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Well certainly not offensively

Even defensively petry proved he's a monster.

I know he's super under rated but he was better than McAvoy last year
McAvoy will be the age that Petry is right now at the end of his 8 year extension. The cap will continue to go up - in fact, it will go up marginally during Petry's deal but MASSIVELY during McAvoys. And, yes, McAvoy is absolutely better than Petry. Petry is underrated, but McAvoy is, too.

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
I thought I saw somewhere ~$8.9MM per annum for 8 years
It’s the going rate for 1D nowadays, and Charlie is a stud (plus based on recent comps ie Jones, Hamilton, Nurse)

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
McAvoy/Fox/ Makar are the premier D in the league. Not only for they’re age range, but as a whole overall. Yes there are other good/very good D-men but these 3 are a cut above. Any one of them could win the Norris on any given year.
I expect both McAvoy and Fox s new deals to be similar to what makar got, give or take a million at most, one way or the other.

as an American, I wish 1 of McAvoy /Fox were left handed. I’d love to see a McAvoy-Fox 1St pair at the olympics

Don’t forget the guy in Dallas!

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Well certainly not offensively

Even defensively petry proved he's a monster.

I know he's super under rated but he was better than McAvoy last year

Do you watch the same Habs games as I do? Petry is a stud offensively but he's a catastrophe in his zone. He's not one of the worst defenceman in the NHL in giveaways for no reason.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Anything under 8mil would be incredible.

I feel like there's a chance Sweeney does like 7.25m here, he always surprises.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think there is a risk in what you mentioned,
but I just haven't seen enough examples and it is still extremely rare
this off-season 3 all-stars signed while still on there Bridge for this season
Point
Werenski
and now McAvoy

It really depends. Signing the young guys to big contracts is a gamble for sure. But, the "winning the gamble" part for the organization is a guy like Klingberg, who is playing his 29 year old season finishing up a 7 year contract that has a cap hit of 4.25. The Stars won big on that. And he will win big again either with Dallas or another team in a few months.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Anything under 8mil would be incredible.

I feel like there's a chance Sweeney does like 7.25m here, he always surprises.

That would be wizardry or highway robbery - I'm not sure which is the more apt metaphor.

McAvoy is very easily worth $9.5 million - if not more given comps. B's fans would be rightfully ecstatic if he signs for around $8.5 mil. Kid is a possession monster and with time on PP1 should be 50-60 point D.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
This is why I personally like bridge contracts

Turns 25 on year 1 of the deal
Paying 8 years and all of them are prime to age 33
The risk is they leave after the few years if it takes the to UFA, or it ends a few years before followed by them wanting their 8 year deal then when they’d be even older or more expensive; if you don’t want to give it then maybe they opt for the second short deal walking to UFA

or they leave and you save money… but what do you spend it on, an aging UFA?

obviously there’s other potential outcomes but no more likely than those; if he turns out well it’s arguably safer to lock him up young at current rates and hope the cap keeps rising

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

Hedman got forgot pretty quickly

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why are people signing their young stars with a full season left on their current contract?
Dont they know it is way more fun to wait to start negotiations at the start of training camp?

In this case... McAvoy moving to the first powerplay with Pasta, Marchand, Hall and Bergeron... well... they better get him signed before that Norris comes from his points exploding.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
That would be wizardry or highway robbery - I'm not sure which is the more apt metaphor.

McAvoy is very easily worth $9.5 million - if not more given comps. B's fans would be rightfully ecstatic if he signs for around $8.5 mil. Kid is a possession monster and with time on PP1 should be 50-60 point D.
I think 9-10 is market value. 8.5 is a solid discount, anything less is robbery. Anything over 10 has proven risky. I'm happy with ~9 give or take half a million.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Don’t forget the guy in Dallas!

If he got the $8.45m that Heiskanen is getting that would be the best I could hope for. I believe Heiskanen is the premier defenseman in the NHL and will win 5 Norris trophies. He's sublime. I love Charlie but Miro's contract is so good and he's 22.

Reactions: hirawl and Petrus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad