Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Even strength he’s on par offensively with all the top offensive defensemen. If he can produce on the PP he could probably put up 50+ a season.
So the Bruins are paying extra for what he might do instead of what he Is doing.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
McAvoy is great defensively but he can't do anything close to what Hughes does on offense. Hughes plays like Fox or Makar in the offensive zone and being elite offensively should be one of the biggest factors in a defensemen getting big bucks. Otherwise Tanev deserves way more than 4 million as he is pretty elite defensively. I would say McAvoy should have gotten what Heiskenin got and not more and I think Heiskenin might be a bit better due to his skating.

Chuck - es points.
18-19: 24
19-20: 29
20-21: 21

Hughes - es points
18-19: 1
19-20: 28
20-21: 22

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I got nothing other than McAvoy deserves every penny of this contract.

Fantastic player.

Reactions: CDJ

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
HOw many points does Charlie put up? I like him, but in a more defensive role, and that’s a lot for such a role.

at 5on5 the difference between him and Fox last year is 1 point. Makar? 1p. Hughes? 1 point. Yes he plays a more defensive role than all of them to better results. He puts up pelech level defensive impact while scoring at 5on5 at superlative levels.

honestly the people saying these things are basing it solely on power play points and that’s insane.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Good for the Bs to lock up their guy. Dmen got paid this offseason. Makes me think that Pulock has an awesome deal, although he seems to produce a bit less than McAvoy, Jones, etc.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So the Bruins are paying extra for what he might do instead of what he Is doing.

No, he’s worth every penny in the present.

he might just be worth even more in 3 years

For as long as the Bruins were around he was the best defenseman in the playoffs IMO. Definitely top 3. He’s an absolute horse.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
at 5on5 the difference between him and Fox last year is 1 point. Makar? 1p. Hughes? 1 point. Yes he plays a more defensive role than all of them to better results. He puts up pelech level defensive impact while scoring at 5on5 at superlative levels.

honestly the people saying these things are basing it solely on power play points and that’s insane.

Don’t worry, after this season we won’t have to have these conversations anymore when he gets a 20 point boost from being on the PP and the stat watchers start talking about how lucky the Bruins were that McAvoy suddenly found this extra level of production.

Reactions: burstnbloom

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No, he’s worth every penny in the present.

he might just be worth even more in 3 years

For as long as the Bruins were around he was the best defenseman in the playoffs IMO. Definitely top 3. He’s an absolute horse.
I like him too, especially his toughness (I like he brings some mean) but that’s a lot of cap for 40 or so points.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I like him too, especially his toughness (I like he brings some mean) but that’s a lot of cap for 40 or so points.

Same even strength production as the elite point producing D-men and he’s now going to be getting PP1 time with perhaps the most dominant unit in hockey (fairly certain it’s going to be Chuck-Hall-Rat-Bergeron-Pasta lol)

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Same even strength production as the elite point producing D-men and he’s now going to be getting PP1 time with perhaps the most dominant unit in hockey (fairly certain it’s going to be Chuck-Hall-Rat-Bergeron-Pasta lol)
That does sound promising. Just beat the Leafs, and all is good. :thumbu:

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Boston just keeps Getting great players and keeping them. Can you please just rebuild soon ?
Please?

Don't worry truth is there are plenty of Bruins fans kind of on edge right now knowing things could get tough in a few years.

IMHO the Bruins have maintained a pretty consistent team for way longer than I expected...... they say everything is cyclical.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Cassidy seemed hell bent on turning Gryz into a store brand version of Krug on the first unit PP. While he is solid and can move the puck back there, McAvoy is simply better and everyone knows it. It looks as though McAvoy will finally be on that 1st unit PP, so I would not be shocked to see his points shoot up to 60 over the course of a full season. He certainly has the talent. I don't think McAvoy has an elite level blast from the blueline ( I'd even call it below average ) but his other shooting and offensive tools are all elite. And of course he brings high level defense that puts him among the 5 best in his own end. He's one of if not the best 5v5 dman in the league while doing it the majority of the time AWAY from the Bergeron line. If preseason is any indicator, that trend will continue as Reilly/Carlo spent a lot of time with Bergy while McAvoy was with Hall.

Reactions: wintersej

Doubledose

Oct 14, 2021
Don't worry truth is there are plenty of Bruins fans kind of on edge right now knowing things could get tough in a few years.

IMHO the Bruins have maintained a pretty consistent team for way longer than I expected...... they say everything is cyclical.

Perhaps just for a year or 2? Love seeing you guys do well. But it's tiresome with Celtics red Sox and bruins

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Cassidy seemed hell bent on turning Gryz into a store brand version of Krug on the first unit PP. While he is solid and can move the puck back there, McAvoy is simply better and everyone knows it. It looks as though McAvoy will finally be on that 1st unit PP, so I would not be shocked to see his points shoot up to 60 over the course of a full season. He certainly has the talent. I don't think McAvoy has an elite level blast from the blueline ( I'd even call it below average ) but his other shooting and offensive tools are all elite. And of course he brings high level defense that puts him among the 5 best in his own end. He's one of if not the best 5v5 dman in the league while doing it the majority of the time AWAY from the Bergeron line. If preseason is any indicator, that trend will continue as Reilly/Carlo spent a lot of time with Bergy while McAvoy was with Hall.

I actually really liked how they held McAvoy back from worrying about that part of his offense. Him worrying about his own end first was great for his development. I don’t think the expectations for him defensively were as high as it ended up turning out when he was drafted.

Reactions: PB37

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He IS arguably a top 3 defenseman in the league 5v5. You know that place where like 80% of a game is played? How dare the Bruins pay good money for that!

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
The people judging this on how many points McAvoy scores have a fundamental lack of hockey knowledge and are a big reason why we see people like Erik Karlsson winning Norris trophies for being the league's best DEFENSEman while playing almost zero defense and acting as a 4th forward.

PepeBostones

Mar 3, 2002
Excellent deal for both parties. Charlie McAvoy is severely underrated around the league and along with Victor Hedman the best all-round defenseman in the world. He's the best defensive defenseman and a tremendous body checker to go with superb skating skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad