Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He and Werenski are coming off bridges. You aren’t good at this.

I believe this statement should be directed to the Bruins. :laugh:

Comparables:

Charlie McAvoy, Boston: 8 years, $76 million ($9.5 million AAV)
Cale Makar, Colorado: 6 years, $54 million ($9 million AAV)
Miro Heiskanen, Dallas: 8 years, $67.6 million ($8.45 million AAV)

I believe Makar/Heiskanen are also better players.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Teams are screwed if their players keep taking market value? How does that make sense?

I’d suggest looking at the most recent winners and what their top players made. The cap is barely moving. I’m not saying it makes sense, but teams don’t win when they start having guys make large cap percentages. This is the same money as Kucherov.

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
McAvoy was 10th in 19-20 and 5th in 20-21 for Norris voting. His advanced stats are also elite so no one should be surprised at him getting that contract. I thought he would get $8-8.5 million because of Boston getting players to take less but looks like that didn't happen. He is definitely worth that based on what the value of number 1 defensemen are going for now.

Reactions: PB37

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
People think it's an overpayment now but what happens when the cap starts to go back up in 3 years and the Bruins are paying 9.5 million a year for a bonafide 27 year old top pairing guy while everyone else gets screwed by the inevitability of rising salaries?

That's exactly how GMs thought before COVID.

We're literally living in the times that demonstrate that rising salaries cap increases are not an inevitability.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I’d suggest looking at the most recent winners and what their top players made. The cap is barely moving. I’m not saying it makes sense, but teams don’t win when they start having guys make large cap percentages. This is the same money as Kucherov.

Kucherov doesn't pay the same tax on his salary though, so really, is it the same?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011

Comparables:

You clearly don't understand how contracts works. They're coming off ELCs, McAvoy last (bridge) contract is a better comparison than this current one.

Reactions: BBBruins and tkb81

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Kucherov is a top 5 forward and McAvoy to most is a top 5 D (and younger).

Teams are paying their top players over $9Mnow. What were the Bruins supposed to do? Trade him for a top 4D and a couple picks just to save $3M?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Kucherov is a top 5 forward and McAvoy to most is a top 5 D (and younger).

Teams are paying their top players over $9Mnow. What were the Bruins supposed to do? Trade him for a top 4D and a couple picks just to save $3M?

McAvoy a top 5 defensemen?.....What?.....

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
McAvoy/Fox/ Makar are the premier D in the league. Not only for they’re age range, but as a whole overall. Yes there are other good/very good D-men but these 3 are a cut above. Any one of them could win the Norris on any given year.
I expect both McAvoy and Fox s new deals to be similar to what makar got, give or take a million at most, one way or the other.

Hedman is 30 at this point in time, but still at a level where he can contend for the Norris as well.
Still a beast.

as an American, I wish 1 of McAvoy /Fox were left handed. I’d love to see a McAvoy-Fox 1St pair at the olympics

One of these is not like the others...

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Comparables:

Dude, do you still not understand 1st vs 2nd contracts?

I see you’ve also stopped stating that Jones and Werenski are better after getting absolutely embarrassed in the poll.

Give it up.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Haven’t checked the Norris voting lately, eh?

Or are you still convinced Parayko and Tarasenko are better than Pasta and MCAvoy?

Parayko dominates McAvoy. McAvoy isn't even an elite defensemen and should not be in the same sentence as Fox or Makar.

Reactions: Patagonia

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That's exactly how GMs thought before COVID.

We're literally living in the times that demonstrate that rising salaries cap increases are not an inevitability.
Do you anticipate another world stopping Pandemic or something similar? Even if it doesn’t go up, it’s a fair contract to his comparables

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Parayko dominates McAvoy. McAvoy isn't even an elite defensemen and should not be in the same sentence as Fox or Makar.
BIG yikes. Show me any metric that shows Parayko is better, let alone much better.

Why do you think both fans and experts strongly disagree with you?

I look forward to this answer.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Dude, do you still not understand 1st vs 2nd contracts?

I see you’ve also stopped stating that Jones and Werenski are better after getting absolutely embarrassed in the poll.

Give it up.

I responded to your ignorant comment about McAvoy being younger than the CBJ DMen to justify the overpayment.

What is the excuse for both Makar/Heiskanen being younger and more accomplished, but paid less? I suggest you create a poll between these 3 players and he would finish last.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I responded to your ignorant comment about McAvoy being younger than the CBJ DMen to justify the overpayment.

What is the excuse for both Makar/Heiskanen being younger and more accomplished, but paid less? I suggest you create a poll between these 3 players and he would finish last.
Once again, you continue to fail to grasp 1st vs 2nd contracts and RFA vs UFA. There are plenty of reading you can do to get caught up on how the NHL and contracts work if you really don’t understand. When McAvoy was their age he was signing on for $5M.

Now please, continue to explain to us how a 23 year old is going to somehow continue to get worse or why you’re part of the like ~5% of people who think Jones or Werenski are better players.

I don’t think anyone really takes your lies too seriously at this point though.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Comparables:

Ha!

I don’t want to get into who is better or how close they are or whatever. The big difference between those two guys contracts and McAvoy’s is that McAvoy just finished a bridge contract.

While those teams are playing 8 or 9 for their guys, the Bruins were paying 5 for McAvoy (including this upcoming season).

McAvoy is only a year older than those two guys, but he was also in the NHL as a top pairing defender earlier than those two and has already burned thru his second contract. McAvoy’s contract buys a lot more UFA years, all taking place after the cap freeze is up.

It’s comparing apples and pizza.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully that shuts all the nonsense Bruins fans were saying how they have a salary structure in place and no one gets paid more than Bergeron and Marchand etc.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Hopefully that shuts all the nonsense Bruins fans were saying how they have a salary structure in place and no one gets paid more than Bergeron and Marchand etc.
What are you talking about? Krejci and Rask were the 2 highest salaries last year. Marchand was 5th. Is this misplaced anger because Dubas has assembled waiver wire depth and no money to even ice a full roster?

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Potential? Ok clearly don't watch him play. He's very clearly achieved his potential, while still having room for growth.

Dude scores 30 points a year. If he's achieved his full potential this is a bad deal. As recent as a year ago he wasn't on a lot of radars for top 20 consideration.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Dude scores 30 points a year. If he's achieved his full potential this is a bad deal. As recent as a year ago he wasn't on a lot of radars for top 20 consideration.
Hat radars were those? He’s paced for 40+ every season he’s played. Not fault two of those years were cut short and he’s been behind one of the best offensive Ds in the world so he didn’t get PP time. He was 5th in Norris voting last season, 10th the year prior (his two healthy seasons) and a #1D since his first NHL season.

If you didn’t have him in your top 20 the last two years you’re clueless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad