Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Bruins sign Charlie McAvoy to extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Beyond Bruin fans, most of the comments are negative. He's far overpaid and will only get worse in time. Jones and Werenski played on a terrible team and their numbers were suppressed, but they still outscored McAvoy and played more games each season.

If you want to get technical, compare salaries based on age consider 24 and under DMen:
  • Werenski - $9.58M (starts 2022/23);
  • McAvoy - $9.5M ;
  • Makar - $9.0M;
  • Heiskanen - $8.45M
  • Chabot - $8.0M;
  • QHughes - $7.85M;
  • Provorov - $6.75M;
  • Dahlin - $6.0M.
There is no justification for this salary for an often injured player.

He and Werenski are coming off bridges. You aren’t good at this.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think we can acknowledge that McAvoy is a great player, while also admitting that he might be a million or so overpaid. That doesn't detract from him a player.

Every thread we end up with pages upon pages of an argument like this that gets nowhere.

How is he a million overpaid? Show me math. There are a pile of guys who skipped a bridge deal and Werenski and Nurse who did not. I’d take McAvoy over them both 100/100 times.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I was hoping for a team discount like some of the core Bruins have, but this is a fair market value deal. Bruins have their franchise dman all thru his early prime years and i could not be more happy.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Beyond Bruin fans, most of the comments are negative. He's far overpaid and will only get worse in time. Jones and Werenski played on a terrible team and their numbers were suppressed, but they still outscored McAvoy and played more games each season.

If you want to get technical, compare salaries based on age consider 24 and under DMen:
  • McAvoy - $9.5M ;
  • Makar - $9.0M;
  • Heiskanen - $8.45M
  • Chabot - $8.0M;
  • QHughes - $7.85M;
  • Provorov - $6.75M;
  • Dahlin - $6.0M.

Yeesh, what a terrible hot take post complete with " take a look at what I perceive to be the majority think " arguement crutch.

Reactions: UConn126

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wow that's a big deal. Probably worth more like $8.5m, but they've got their guy through his entire prime now.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I feel like this board has very little conception of how much the cap is set to go up in the next 5 years. It's only flat right now because of COVID.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
McAvoy is an elite defensemen. Seems pricey, but I think he's worth it. He's certainly better than Jones and Werenski.

I am surprised he got a figure this high without elite boxcar stats though. Good on his agent there.

Reactions: UConn126

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
McAvoy is an elite defensemen. Seems pricey, but I think he's worth it. He's certainly better than Jones and Werenski.

I am surprised he got a figure this high without elite boxcar stats though. Good on his agent there.

I think both his agent and the team know that moving to PP1 is going to make his box car stats explode.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

• McAvoy - $9.5M ;
  • Makar - $9.0M;
  • Heiskanen - $8.45M
  • Chabot - $8.0M;
  • QHughes - $7.85M;
  • Provorov - $6.75M;
  • Dahlin - $6.0M.
Werenski vs Jones vs McAvoy

93% of HF Boards (at the time of posting this) massively disagrees with you.

As I said, all credibility is lost saying Jones is better

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think he’s technically worth this amount, but this could be a killer when building a roster going forward. They’ve been lucky with the discounts on that top line, but if that sort of value isn’t continuing, they may be screwed
Teams are screwed if their players keep taking market value? How does that make sense?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
As good as he is. Almost 10 mill a season is wayyyyy too much for Charlie McAvoy!.

These contract.....Oy Vey x 1000.......
When Nurse, Werenski, Jones, Hamilton are getting the same, what do you think he’s worth exactly? He’s better than all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad