Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Can't wait for that trade board thread to open back up, some people took some shots and then magically the thread got locked. How convenient. But when these cell doors open up.....see you in the yard and don't forget to bring your sharpened toothbrush shiv.
1724130025664.gif

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
To be fair to Canadian fans way up north, I think I'm fine with Winnipeg fans, even though they're in our division (about the only divisional team I'm fine with). All that's required is to be polite to them, and they're polite back. I'm fine with fans like that. I can get along with fans like that.

Honestly, it may just be Edmonton fans I want to see crash and burn with their 11,666,169 Parayko-to-Edmonton threads, and especially now that a fair few have all but Twister'd themselves into defending Bowman. The games against the Oilers are going to be very interesting indeed.

I have a whole rant on that saved, but it's not because of Dylan Carlson. Will be posting in the Cardinals' thread for more on that, so stay tuned.

I thought that was where the cold dead hands comment stemmed from lol

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't follow. Then again, I don't follow a lot of things; I blame autism.

But yeah, just posted a ginormous rant in the Cardinals thread. Enjoy! :D

I thought it was a play on the Juan Soto situation in which Mo said they'd have to pry Carlson from his cold dead hands when there were talks about the Cardinals trading for Soto :thumbu: You may have unknowingly played off that pretty well as through my skimming it fit in a similar situation :laugh:

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Hey Blues' fans, Oilers' fan here, and I come in peace. I believe the Oilers will NOT match on either deal, and it's not because they don't think either player is good or will develop into very good players.

I see Broberg as a #2 or #3 dman when he hits his prime, at worst, a see him as #5. I'd bet on him being a really good #3. His skating and confidence with the puck are his strengths.

I see Holloway as 2nd line winer at best, and a 3rd line winger at worst. You guys are gonna love him , you can see that he loves to play hockey and competes every night. Not sure if he has elite hands, but he does have an elite engine, and no fear to go to the greasy areas.

The Oilers simply can't afford them at these cap hits due to where they are at the cap, they NEEDED them on value deals. St. Louis and Doug Armstrong saw an opportunity and made a solid gamble on adding 2 good, young players, who both are on the upswing and, imo, on the verge of breaking out, and realizing their potential. Sure, the Blues had to overpay them, but they also got to underpay the trade compensation, due to the compensation rules. Great gamble imo, sucks for the Oilers, sucks for the fans of the Oilers. Most Oiler fans really like both these guys. If things go as I expect, and they both become Blues, I feel the Blues added 2 very nice players to their team.

PS - I hate you all. ;)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Edmonton board seems to think Broberg is 100% ours, and Holloway is kind of a tossup, some see a high chance of match, some see 50/50, and some think he is gone too.

I am curious if Edmonton knew this would knew, knew they wouldn't match and that's why they signed all those vets. They must've known that teams were talking to the agents in July.
Broberg ask for a trade last november. He doesn't want to be an oiler. History has us how oilers treat players like that. It never should have gotten this far. With Holloway he looked at the signing of Skinner and Arvedson and is unhappy he would be on the 4th line

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Hey Blues' fans, Oilers' fan here, and I come in peace. I believe the Oilers will NOT match on either deal, and it's not because they don't think either player is good or will develop into very good players.

I see Broberg as a #2 or #3 dman when he hits his prime, at worst, a see him as #5. I'd bet on him being a really good #3. His skating and confidence with the puck are his strengths.

I see Holloway as 2nd line winer at best, and a 3rd line winger at worst. You guys are gonna love him , you can see that he loves to play hockey and competes every night. Not sure if he has elite hands, but he does have an elite engine, and no fear to go to the greasy areas.

The Oilers simply can't afford them at these cap hits due to where they are at the cap, they NEEDED them on value deals. St. Louis and Doug Armstrong saw an opportunity and made a solid gamble on adding 2 good, young players, who both are on the upswing and, imo, on the verge of breaking out, and realizing their potential. Sure, the Blues had to overpay them, but they also got to underpay the trade compensation, due to the compensation rules. Great gamble imo, sucks for the Oilers, sucks for the fans of the Oilers. Most Oiler fans really like both these guys. If things go as I expect, and they both become Blues, I feel the Blues added 2 very nice players to their team.

PS - I hate you all. ;)
I'm expecting the Oilers to turn around and use the assets to get a RHD to pair on the 2nd pairing. I honestly feel like the Logjam at LHD for the Oilers is going to stay that way and Broberg really isn't the piece to force into the 2RD side. This may turn into a blessing for the Oilers when they are able to get a guy who fit more in line with the needs of the team.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I'm expecting the Oilers to turn around and use the assets to get a RHD to pair on the 2nd pairing. I honestly feel like the Logjam at LHD for the Oilers is going to stay that way and Broberg really isn't the piece to force into the 2RD side. This may turn into a blessing for the Oilers when they are able to get a guy who fit more in line with the needs of the team.
odds of them finding that guy, for the right price price, both in terms of trade cost and salary are gonna be tough imo. That's why losing a young D, even tough he's left shooting, is going to hurt so much. It's the reason the Blues were willing to pay him that contract, and take a shot at getting him.

I do agree, left shooting Broberg was not and is not the ideal partner on the RS for Nurse. An Adam Larsson type would be ideal, too bad he still isn't an Oiler.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri

PS - I hate you all. ;)

After the countless Parayko to Edmonton threads, I can assure you, the feeling is quite mutual. :sarcasm:

Thank you for at least coming in peace.

PS - I do hate Stan Bowman, though, and will never stop hating him.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Broberg ask for a trade last november. He doesn't want to be an oiler. History has us how oilers treat players like that. It never should have gotten this far. With Holloway he looked at the signing of Skinner and Arvedson and is unhappy he would be on the 4th line
I don't know if he still wants out or not, he might, he did sign this offer sheet. I get why he wanted out during this season, Edmonton definitely didn't do him any favours in his development, lots of time in the press box, low ice time when he did play, and plenty of time in the AHL. There is zero chance that these factors contributed to him signing this offer sheet.

But still, with all these hurdles, and poor choices in his development, the kid got better, bit by bit, and by the end of the year in the AHL, he was dominating, and then when the Oilers needed him to come in on the 2nd pairing in the 3rd and 4th round's of the playoffs, and play his off side with a struggling Nurse, the kid looked solid.

britishblue

Jan 17, 2012
There isn't really a way for the Oilers to win here, which for them must suck.

As rubbish (in relative terms) as the picks are, I think I would value the cap space more.

They will have room to add at the deadline, they will have some draft capital to make moves, and importantly they won't have an additional $9m in cap to worry about next summer with Drai and Bouchard extensions.

We overpay both players, accepting they might not pan out, but we have the cap space and our internal modelling must show we won't need it for 2 years. If they do develop great, if they don't the cost is a couple of picks that wouldnt have seen NHL ice until ~2030 (if ever).

It's such a unique situation on so many levels, up there as being one of the most interesting contract related "things" since the cap came in.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Certainly a bit of silly willy.

--

It's gotten very quiet on HFOilers. They've sobered up a bit.

Pundits just don't want to commit to a prediction.

I have!!

We will get both!!!!
As a nucks fan what Army pulled off was fan-fukking-tastic.

Oiler fans are truly the worst and they have been shitting on Vancouver for almost a year and are the type that turns on players that are no longer oilers and that drives me nuts. So it feels good that with us signing Deharnais and you guys getting Broburg and forcing them to move Ceci.

It's been a blast watching oiler fans here and on YouTube perform mental gymnastics to justify or convince themselves this makes them better.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
There isn't really a way for the Oilers to win here, which for them must suck.

As rubbish (in relative terms) as the picks are, I think I would value the cap space more.

They will have room to add at the deadline, they will have some draft capital to make moves, and importantly they won't have an additional $9m in cap to worry about next summer with Drai and Bouchard extensions.

We overpay both players, accepting they might not pan out, but we have the cap space and our internal modelling must show we won't need it for 2 years. If they do develop great, if they don't the cost is a couple of picks that wouldnt have seen NHL ice until ~2030 (if ever).

It's such a unique situation on so many levels, up there as being one of the most interesting contract related "things" since the cap came in.
They only have 900k in cap space and Troy Stecher will be playing 20+ off the hardest minutes.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

PS - I hate you all. ;)
Well we all love you with the tenderest of hearts. So how about them apples.

Also interesting take on things. Thanks for sharing.

britishblue

Jan 17, 2012
They only have 900k in cap space and Troy Stecher will be playing 20+ off the hardest minutes.
Agreed but by the deadline that equates to what $4.2m? You could add a top 4 dman at that salary. Thats also assuming they dont run a full roster.

Again its absolutely not ideal for them but if it were the other way round I think I would want us to bank on the current d being good enough to get us to the deadline with the aim being to add.

Kane, if he even goes to LTIR, will at best mean they need to subtract (like 2) roster players mid season. Thats defo not a position I would want to be in as a contender.

All very interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad