Players you remember absolutely nothing about (or, who was Steve Poapst)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Was the NHL's 3rd oldest player the next season and therefore aged out rather quickly.
Wow, I didn't realize he had played for Hartford and New Jersey (and two games for Montreal too).

I thought he just played a handful of seasons for St Louis and was a small blip on the radar. The more you know, I guess.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow, I didn't realize he had played for Hartford and New Jersey (and two games for Montreal too).

I thought he just played a handful of seasons for St Louis and was a small blip on the radar. The more you know, I guess.

Meagher was a long-time 'pretty good' defensive forward on bad/unremarkable teams and then while he was old and declining was suddenly noticed on a Sutter-coached team. I was pretty young then but I still remember thinking it was weird to my 10 year old eyes, especially when he was quickly out of the league the next season.

That Meagher won that award over Tikkanen/Carbonneau is one of the bigger award crimes in NHL history. This should have been the year that Tikkanen was recognized properly, but there was still a ton of anti-Euro bias and he was left off over half the ballots.

Back to the thread, Derek Armstrong is a guy who played almost 500 NHL games very recently and I couldn't really tell you much of anything about him or any strengths/weaknesses. I know so little about him I actually thought he played for Atlanta for a few seasons (and no, not confusing him with Colby Armstrong) ... but nope. Played mostly in a totally dead period in LA Kings history, never played a playoff game.

I'm normally pretty good with 1970s players even though they're before my time but a year or two ago I came across a guy named Alain Daigle who I'd simply never processed as even existing before but who was a regular with the Blackhawks for 6 years.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Meagher was a long-time 'pretty good' defensive forward on bad/unremarkable teams and then while he was old and declining was suddenly noticed on a Sutter-coached team. I was pretty young then but I still remember thinking it was weird to my 10 year old eyes, especially when he was quickly out of the league the next season.

That Meagher won that award over Tikkanen/Carbonneau is one of the bigger award crimes in NHL history. This should have been the year that Tikkanen was recognized properly, but there was still a ton of anti-Euro bias and he was left off over half the ballots.

Back to the thread, Derek Armstrong is a guy who played almost 500 NHL games very recently and I couldn't really tell you much of anything about him or any strengths/weaknesses. I know so little about him I actually thought he played for Atlanta for a few seasons (and no, not confusing him with Colby Armstrong) ... but nope. Played mostly in a totally dead period in LA Kings history, never played a playoff game.

I'm normally pretty good with 1970s players even though they're before my time but a year or two ago I came across a guy named Alain Daigle who I'd simply never processed as even existing before but who was a regular with the Blackhawks for 6 years.
Thanks for the fill-in around Meagher.

I actually remember Armstrong fairly well. Right handed center with some hands, not a great skater but decent utility guy. Sort of like a bigger Derek Ryan in terms of levels of effectiveness throughout his career (meaning Ryan has had some good years, but never too good, and some where he's just a guy you plug in and play). Sort of a 2nd PP guy who could fill in on the top pp in a pinch but it's not a great sign if he's playing there much. As the Kings lack of playoff games with him attests to.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

Maybe you're confusing him with Eric Belanger, who also played for the Kings during that mid to late 2010s period? Belanger played for them for years and then played for a few teams toward the end of his career, including the Thrashers. I tend to group the two together.

Last edited:

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Gerry Minor
Per Olov Braser
Bob Dailey
Rocky Saginuk
John Paul Kelly
Fred Boimstruck
Dale McCourt
Walt Poddubny

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Paul and Gino Cavallini. Remember them vaguely from NHL 94, but who they were, what they did. I have no idea.

Reactions: DitchMarner

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe you're confusing him with Eric Belanger, who also played for the Kings during that mid to late 2010s period? Belanger played for them for years and then played for a few teams toward the end of his career, including the Thrashers. I tend to group the two together.

Nope, I remember Belanger pretty well especially for his time in Minnesota and then for Steve Tambellini's hilarious quotes when Edmonton signed him.

I went back through every Thrashers roster and I don't actually think there was anyone I was confusing Armstrong with - I think I just in my head thought he played for Atlanta for some reason.

However, in the process of going through old Thrashers rosters, holy f*** are there some anonymous players in there. If you would have told me that someone named JP Vigier was an NHL regular for 3 years I would have said you were lying. Same if you told me that someone named Brad Tapper had a 10-goal NHL season.

Edit : Actually, I think I figured it out. I was confusing Derek Armstrong with Derek McKenzie who played for CBJ in the time period I was thinking. So I was actually confusing both two journeyman named Derek with late-career NHL starts AND the hapless 2000s Thrashers with the hapless 2000s CBJs. Ha.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Reminds me of the Shannons (I think Darron and Darryl or something), whom I remember from NHL '95 only.

That's a good one - I had Darryl Shannon on a Strat-o-Matic roster and ended up watching him as much as possible in that time period (so, not much although the Sabres were on nationally at least some because of #39).

Did we cover Jason York in this thread yet? He was decently productive.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Actually, I think I figured it out. I was confusing Derek Armstrong with Derek McKenzie who played for CBJ in the time period I was thinking. So I was actually confusing both two journeyman named Derek with late-career NHL starts AND the hapless 2000s Thrashers with the hapless 2000s CBJs. Ha.
Speaking of similar-feeling names and the name McKenzie, I was going to say that the existence of a goon named Steve MacIntyre is probably making my memory of Jim McKenzie a little muddier. Like, I think I'd remember which one was which if you quizzed me, but there'd be a second where my brain was going "mac something...punches people... Penguin at some point..."

And I'm aware that Jim was good soldier while Steve was one of those late stage goons that had to be wheeled out like a medieval catapult. But there's still that slight blurring in my mind.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Speaking of similar-feeling names and the name McKenzie, I was going to say that the existence of a goon named Steve MacIntyre is probably making my memory of Jim McKenzie a little muddier. Like, I think I'd remember which one was which if you quizzed me, but there'd be a second where my brain was going "mac something...punches people... Penguin at some point..."

And I'm aware that Jim was good soldier while Steve was one of those late stage goons that had to be wheeled out like a medieval catapult. But there's still that slight blurring in my mind.

Ha, funny timing as I had literally just made a post on the Canucks board about the time that the Oilers tried to bring the 30 y/o 6'5 250 lb. Steve MacIntyre to the 'YoungStars' tourney to beat up kids, before the other teams involved had to force them not to.

I've mentioned it here before but my most confusing two players are Bryan Smolinski and Shawn McEachern who were both NCAA guys with overlapping DPE careers spent mostly with Ottawa/Pittsburgh/Boston/LA putting up pretty statistically identical seasons. Trying to remember which was where at any given time is impossible to me.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
For those on here who can remember c.1974-75 and 1975-76, would not the hapless Washington Capitals of those two seasons be laden with forgettable players?

I remember we did some breakdown of the Caps' 1974-75 lineup on here a few years ago, and we figured out that maybe one 1974-75 Capital was still active in the NHL by 1981 or 1982. They were a team of glorified AHL-ers (if that), from top to bottom of roster.

Greg Joly was a high draft pick... Ron Lowe surfaced in Edmonton / Jersey years later... and of course Bill Mikkleson is famous for his worst plus-minus of all time. But the rest of that team must be a bunch of forgettable dudes, no...?

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Nope, I remember Belanger pretty well especially for his time in Minnesota and then for Steve Tambellini's hilarious quotes when Edmonton signed him.

I went back through every Thrashers roster and I don't actually think there was anyone I was confusing Armstrong with - I think I just in my head thought he played for Atlanta for some reason.

However, in the process of going through old Thrashers rosters, holy f*** are there some anonymous players in there. If you would have told me that someone named JP Vigier was an NHL regular for 3 years I would have said you were lying. Same if you told me that someone named Brad Tapper had a 10-goal NHL season.

Edit : Actually, I think I figured it out. I was confusing Derek Armstrong with Derek McKenzie who played for CBJ in the time period I was thinking. So I was actually confusing both two journeyman named Derek with late-career NHL starts AND the hapless 2000s Thrashers with the hapless 2000s CBJs. Ha.

Here's the thing...I also confused these exact same players in the exact same thing you did.

• Haha
Reactions: MS

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Pavel Brendl. I remember he was part of the Lindros trade, and that's about it.

There was once a radio show in NYC called Mike and the Mad Dog, and after that trade, apparently Chris "Mad Dog" Russo went on a tirade about it, screaming "YOU DON'T TRADE A PAVEL BRENDL!" He followed that up with "and they traded Kim Johnsson, a good Russian defenseman." :laugh:

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
e94c483564f5f30d34ad950c90a65323

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Lorentz is a decent 4th liner, good on the forecheck, plays pretty heavy. I expect he'll get a contract somewhere during camp.

Brendl was a slow, one-dimensional shooter. He didn't take the game very seriously and was very out of shape. He was only gonna be a shooter anyhow, so there were no other outs - which is dangerous in its own right. But given his dedication, it never had a chance...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Here's the thing...I also confused these exact same players in the exact same thing you did.

MacKenzie and Armstrong both even played junior for the Sudbury Wolves. Then spent nearly a decade as AHL/callup types, then had ~500 game NHL careers that started at age 29.

Armstrong was just older and his career ended right when MacKenzie got a regular NHL job ... and I think they just morphed into a continuation of the same player for me, like a Derek Armkenzie that had a 10 year career instead of the 5-year careers as regulars that both had.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
MacKenzie and Armstrong both even played junior for the Sudbury Wolves. Then spent nearly a decade as AHL/callup types, then had ~500 game NHL careers that started at age 29.

Armstrong was just older and his career ended right when MacKenzie got a regular NHL job ... and I think they just morphed into a continuation of the same player for me, like a Derek Armkenzie that had a 10 year career instead of the 5-year careers as regulars that both had.

I just looked at their faces and I even swapped those. I'm fully convinced one just assumed the other identity.

• Haha
Reactions: MS

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Lorentz is a decent 4th liner, good on the forecheck, plays pretty heavy. I expect he'll get a contract somewhere during camp.

Brendl was a slow, one-dimensional shooter. He didn't take the game very seriously and was very out of shape. He was only gonna be a shooter anyhow, so there were no other outs - which is dangerous in its own right. But given his dedication, it never had a chance...
I seem to recall stories of Brendl's love for hot dogs, definitely didn't treat nutrition as prospects would now a days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad