Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues' offer to Holloway is only $2.29 million. That is low enough that most Oilers fans and outside people close to the team believe, based on leaks from inside, that The Oilers will match HIS offer. They will likely let Broberg walk, given the amount of machinations it would take and the damage it would do to their lineup to keep both, or even Broberg, alone. They aren't going to let BOTH of their youngest ready-for NHL- breakout players go for a 2nd and a 3rd Rounder. They can live with losing only one.

Holloway is easier to replace

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
Maybe this is a DA masterclass on how you can troll your own fans? After the overwhelming negative response to trading our 2025 2nd round pick, DA was like watch, im gonna re-acquire it, just to move off it twice in one off season.

Heel turn complete.

DA: How ya like me now boys!?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe this is a DA masterclass on how you can troll your own fans? After the overwhelming negative response to trading our 2025 2nd round pick, DA was like watch, im gonna re-acquire it, just to move off it twice in one off season.

Heel turn complete.

DA: How ya like me now boys!?
If they match these offers, the move to reacquire our 2nd round pick becomes even worse. But I won't blame him for that for trying to improve the team.

I don't think the Oilers will match either one and if they do, their next offseason is going to be even more brutal.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If they match these offers, the move to reacquire our 2nd round pick becomes even worse. But I won't blame him for that for trying to improve the team.

I don't think the Oilers will match either one and if they do, their next offseason is going to be even more brutal.

I doubt we can have the draft picks next off season but imagine doing the same thing to Bouchard next year.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
The Blues' offer to Holloway is only $2.29 million. That is low enough that most Oilers fans and outside people close to the team believe, based on leaks from inside, that The Oilers will match HIS offer. They will likely let Broberg walk, given the amount of machinations it would take and the damage it would do to their lineup to keep both, or even Broberg, alone. They aren't going to let BOTH of their youngest ready-for NHL- breakout players go for a 2nd and a 3rd Rounder. They can live with losing only one.

2.29 per year, and he's signed for two years. Either he gets it with us or the Oilers.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
If the Oilers match(either or both), does the 1 year block on trading them start from the match day or does it just encompass this upcoming season?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
c987J9.gif

OS watch continues. I would think as we head towards the weekend we’d see Edmonton start to set things in motion to match one or both if they’re going to.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
So many people are talking about an "easy" solution of dealing Ceci (plus assets) and putting Kane on LTIR. This completely glosses over the difficulties that this is going to present for the 2025 offseason.

It would be an absolute masterclass if this is all part of a Doug Armstrong long-con and the Blues offer sheet Bouchard at a level that the Oilers are unable to afford next offseason.
If the Blues make a deal with Pittsburgh next year to re-acquire their 2026 2nd…look out!

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
c987J9.gif

OS watch continues. I would think as we head towards the weekend we’d see Edmonton start to set things in motion to match one or both if they’re going to.
They can be up to over 10% of the cap during the off-season, so they can match both without doing anything just yet.

Reactions: mk80

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
If the Oilers put Kane on ltir before the season starts they don't bank any cap savings. So if he were to come off the ltir before the playoffs start they will need his full cap available. Also if he's on the ltir the Oilers need to replace him on the roster. I don't see how they can match either without Kane's LTIR and then they would be in a terrible position to find 5.5m in cap space to activate Kane. This is why this is such a genius move by Army. Sure the Oilers could match but they would absolutely gut their depth that they've worked so hard to develop around McDavid and Draisaitl.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
If the Oilers put Kane on ltir before the season starts they don't bank any cap savings. So if he were to come off the ltir before the playoffs start they will need his full cap available. Also if he's on the ltir the Oilers need to replace him on the roster. I don't see how they can match either without Kane's LTIR and then they would be in a terrible position to find 5.5m in cap space to activate Kane. This is why this is such a genius move by Army. Sure the Oilers could match but they would absolutely gut their depth that they've worked so hard to develop around McDavid and Draisaitl.
Not to mention they already tried running a skeleton crew roster last year and realized how much of a major headache that was. It's difficult enough for teams to bounce back from a short offseason after a deep playoff run. Doing so while running with less than 23 on the roster for two consecutive seasons? That'll be tough.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I was watching some Oilers talk radio, and someone said that a guy in Hockey Ops in the organization texted them "uh oh" when the news hit.

Yeah, I don't know if Kane is the magic solution that everyone thinks it is. If he's out for 2-3 months, then what? Hope for more injuries or pay assets to dump salary? Assets that you need for the deadline.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Do you view Bouchard as a #1 D? If you do, I think it would be one of the best things to happen in hockey if we also offer sheeted him. Imagine the melt down, it would be glorious.
I don't really see any argument that he isn't. We can debate over whether he is a high end #1, whether it is wise to pay what he would demand, or the pros/cons of your 1D being so offense-focused instead of a fully well rounded guy (who isn't elite in any one specific area).

But none of that would lead to a conclusion that he's not a 1D. He's coming off an 82 point season where he played 23 minutes a night and finished 5th in Norris voting. He went up to 25 minutes a night in the playoffs and he had 32 points in 25 games on their run to the Final. He is the QB on the league's best PP and while he plays a very offense-heavy role, his underlying numbers are dominant in that role.

His numbers are certainly inflated/influenced by playing with McDrai, but he also has an absolute bomb of a shot and creates quite a bit on his own. I'm not sold that he's a point per game D man on just any NHL roster, but you don't need to be that in order to be a #1.

Realistically, the question is whether he is an elite 1D, not whether he is a 1D.

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
I was watching some Oilers talk radio, and someone said that a guy in Hockey Ops in the organization texted them "uh oh" when the news hit.

Yeah, I don't know if Kane is the magic solution that everyone thinks it is. If he's out for 2-3 months, then what? Hope for more injuries or pay assets to dump salary? Assets that you need for the deadline.
Not to mention they don't have a 1st or 2nd pick in 2025 or many decent prospects to deal. Unless they can get Kane to stay on LTIR for the entire season or trade Ekholm, don't see anyway they can match Broberg. Don't see either of those two happening. Holloway probably gets matched imo

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
Not to mention they don't have a 1st or 2nd pick in 2025 or many decent prospects to deal. Unless they can get Kane to stay on LTIR for the entire season or trade Ekholm, don't see anyway they can match Broberg. Don't see either of those two happening. Holloway probably gets matched imo
Even if you deal Ekholm, you likely open up a hole that would be significant in their playoff window. The same with sitting Kane all year(if he would even go along).

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
NHL Network is showing the Vancouver-Edmonton series if anyone wants to scout our (maybe) new guys.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
After watching Edmonton in the playoffs, Holloway is rhe prize. Kid was very noticeable. Really reminds me of a more skilled sunny.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
After watching Edmonton in the playoffs, Holloway is rhe prize. Kid was very noticeable. Really reminds me of a more skilled sunny.
Yes! I remember commenting here during that series that I'd love to get Holly on the Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad