Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If the Oilers put Kane on ltir before the season starts they don't bank any cap savings. So if he were to come off the ltir before the playoffs start they will need his full cap available. Also if he's on the ltir the Oilers need to replace him on the roster. I don't see how they can match either without Kane's LTIR and then they would be in a terrible position to find 5.5m in cap space to activate Kane. This is why this is such a genius move by Army. Sure the Oilers could match but they would absolutely gut their depth that they've worked so hard to develop around McDavid and Draisaitl.
They won't necessarily need to find his full cap hit's worth of space to activate him mid-season.

The amount of LTIR relief they get from Kane (and would subsequently need to 'find' down the road) is contingent on who they have on the roster at the time he is put on LTIR. That is important because they don't need to shed quite as much as you probably think in order to 'find' the money to fit Kane.

For example, let's say that they let Broberg go and match on Holloway. At the time Kane is placed on LTIR, they add Carl Burglund and Roby Jarventie to the roster to get up to 23 guys (their 2 most expensive fringe guys to maximize LTIR relief). In that scenario, they would get $4.49M LTIR relief from Kane and would only need to 'find' $4.49M cap space to activate him.

Using the above hypothetical and assuming no one else hits LTIR, they could fit Kane back into the lineup by sending Berglund and Jarventie to the AHL and shedding any one of Ceci, Kulak, or Henrique. They would then have to run a 21 man roster. Shedding Arvidsson would allow them to keep one of Berglund/Jarventie (or another fringe guy) on a 22 man NHL roster.

This is why I think that they will match on Holloway. Keeping him (but only him) doesn't create a huge headache since Kane is going to miss a bunch of time. If Kane misses the entire year, there is zero headache. If Kane comes back but another guy making $3M+ hits LTIR, then they don't need to move anyone to bring Kane back and having Holloway is a clear positive. And if no one else gets hurt and Kane returns mid-year, they only have to move one guy (and can pick between a few guys that aren't crucial to the roster this year).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I wish Edmonton would make their decision soon.
1723744386862.gif

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
No news is good news. They either match or let the clock run out. They won't announce they aren't matching.
I think no news is just no news.

They should keep their decision private until the absolute last hour. Let's say that they have decided to match both. What incentive do they have to lock themselves into a decision now? Time is a valuable asset. They have no incentive to give up their remaining time to explore other solutions. Additionally, committing to one direction now carries some risk.

Right now the Blues are on the hook for all the risk (injury, off ice misconduct, etc). Why take the sliver of risk that you match the offer sheet 4 days early just to see something happen 24 hours later that makes the player a huge headache?

Right now the Blues have to put all other plans on hold. Those two potential compensatory picks can't be used for anything else while these are pending. Edmonton is pissed at our front office. Why give us clarity several days early to allow us to move on to the next piece of business?

Right now Edmonton is likely exploring the trade market of a couple guys that might need to get moved if they match. Why make the final decision until that market is 100% exhausted? You never know if someone is going to up their offer for one of your cap dumps as the deadline approaches. Why close the door on those negotiations early? Let's say they currently plan to let Broberg walk to keep Ceci/Kulak. There is probably a return for one of those guys that makes it worth keeping Broberg instead.

If I were in their shoes, I'd be keeping my decision private until as close to the deadline as possible. Even if I had already made my decision with 100% certainty, the mere benefit of leaving the Blues in the dark would be worth the wait.

The only benefit to announcing early is for the sake of the relationship with a player you have decided to keep. But frankly, the player treated this like a pure business decision and played a part in putting you in a damn tough spot. The player can wait a few more days and then be greeted with open arms 10 minutes before the deadline.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think no news is just no news.

They should keep their decision private until the absolute last hour. Let's say that they have decided to match both. What incentive do they have to lock themselves into a decision now? Time is a valuable asset. They have no incentive to give up their remaining time to explore other solutions. Additionally, committing to one direction now carries some risk.

Right now the Blues are on the hook for all the risk (injury, off ice misconduct, etc). Why take the sliver of risk that you match the offer sheet 4 days early just to see something happen 24 hours later that makes the player a huge headache?

Right now the Blues have to put all other plans on hold. Those two potential compensatory picks can't be used for anything else while these are pending. Edmonton is pissed at our front office. Why give us clarity several days early to allow us to move on to the next piece of business?

Right now Edmonton is likely exploring the trade market of a couple guys that might need to get moved if they match. Why make the final decision until that market is 100% exhausted? You never know if someone is going to up their offer for one of your cap dumps as the deadline approaches. Why close the door on those negotiations early? Let's say they currently plan to let Broberg walk to keep Ceci/Kulak. There is probably a return for one of those guys that makes it worth keeping Broberg instead.

If I were in their shoes, I'd be keeping my decision private until as close to the deadline as possible. Even if I had already made my decision with 100% certainty, the mere benefit of leaving the Blues in the dark would be worth the wait.

The only benefit to announcing early is for the sake of the relationship with a player you have decided to keep. But frankly, the player treated this like a pure business decision and played a part in putting you in a damn tough spot. The player can wait a few more days and then be greeted with open arms 10 minutes before the deadline.

I don't disagree with any of this. I don't expect to hear anything before the last day. I was merely stating we would hear they match before we would hear they won't, even if before means just a couple hours before the deadline.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I was hugely against the Leddy acquisition and contract. I was dead wrong. Leddy has been tremendous for us. He has been a stud. I do not know how you can watch the Blues and not think he is worth $4M. Like no clue.
I don’t know if I would call him a stud but I do agree, he’s as steady as they come. I hated the trade and the signing but he’s done his job very well for us.

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
Rookie opinion here:

1) Both offer sheets are for players higher than our draft picks. High risk, high bust. Long term DA is moving from high picks to set Steen up with a clean slate. With success comes middle of the road drafts. Something says our high pics are going to be trade bait if we even have any moving forward.

2) DA needed to do something to offset his defensive contracts woes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a buyout or a D contract with a prospect salary dump at some point.

3) In all honesty, looking at 25/26 - 26/27 we've got some talent/depth/possible elite to do some damage. Salary will come into play around this time but it should be a good for STL around this time.

Reactions: execwrite1

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
PS - I wish we could have done this to the bruins. I'm ok with the oilers. Good to see Armstrong walk out with some balls after all of those terrible contracts.

Reactions: ArenaRat

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
2) DA needed to do something to offset his defensive contracts woes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a buyout or a D contract with a prospect salary dump at some point.

I don't think a buyout is ever going to be on the table for the Blues while Armstrong is GM

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Is Holloway any better than Toro?

In pretty much every skill box except for size and maybe straight line speed, yes, although Holloway plays big, is 200+ pounds and is a very good skater.. Whether he can put it all together, we shall see. Much better hands,better stickhandling, better playmaking, I'd say better shot but maybe not off the rush, Torop is pretty good at catching goalies flat footed off the rush with his shot, better defensive stick, better defensive position, better puck possession.

Torop isn't great, he has a few plus skills he is leveraging for everything they are worth and then some. But Holloway has all the skills to deserve his first round draft status. He just needs to put it together offensively..

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Is Holloway any better than Toro?

It's a very small sample size; but Holloway has scored at a 40 goal pace in the AHL over the last 2 years.
He hasn't shown it in the NHL just yet; but there is some very clear goal scoring upside with Holloway that Toro just doesn't have.

Toro is far more developed as a defensive player, and I would expect that given the difference in age/experience.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
i thought was date of offer sheet, but not positive.

90% sure it’s matching day.

When Calgary offersheeted ROR, Colorado matched almost immediately because the trade deadline was going to be after the one year mark if they waited the full seven days.

(It was only after that the fiasco that Calgary would have to place him on waivers had it worked became known)

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I’ve got to wonder why Edmonton would match on either player. We’re assuming the risk that the player produces at a much higher clip down the line not caring about their current production. They’re trying to squeeze the last little bit out of the McDrai era before their cap hits become immense.

I feel they would be much better suited taking the 2nd and 3rd and trying out some of their other young guys seeing if they spark a bit more production at the ELC status and worry more about keeping their somewhat young core intact.

They can find a productive player on the open market willing to sign at 2.29m, Holloway hasn’t been extremely productive for them. Broberg, same situation at a higher cap hit. It also gives them much more flexibility at the deadline to not have to move Kulak or Ceci. They may not be great, but you know what you’re going to get from them. Nobody has any idea what you’ll get from Holloway and/or Broberg in limited roles, you can’t really expect them to outperform what they did last season if you don’t give them more of a runway.

I like Holloways game. I think he has a really good possibility of being a Barbashev-esque player. I just can’t see the Oilers handcuffing themselves to hope he gets there sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad