Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If they believe that Holloway's playoff performance is an accurate assessment of who he is as a player right now, then I think you can definitely justify $2.29M. If they believe that he can't sustain (and built off) that for the next 2 years and will revert back to the 2023/24 regular season version, then I agree that they could better spend the money.

I think Holloway's playoff performance was worth around $2M and the upside for him to improve over the next 2 years is worth that slight overpay, even for a contender with cap concerns.

I mean they are pretty hard pressed to find a spot for him to put him in a better position to succeed.

I personally like his game, but paying him 2.29m next year also puts them in a position where he has to be a surefire top 9 guy with the Drai and Bouchard extensions unless their plan is to move on from Draisaitl. I still think they have to pay McDrai and Bouchard whatever they can to keep them all 3 there, that powerplay is the thing that will always keep them competitive.

The other thing is, with signing Holloway, it’s going to be extremely hard for them to fill holes at this deadline as is. The cost of moving out money hasn’t seemed to become easier as the cap has risen. Can’t imagine many teams are in the business of taking on a Ceci, Kulak or Kane to help them out. And unless by some miracle for them, Kane is done, they’re still going to have to move one of the two which puts their bottom pair in a lot of jeopardy.

In all reality they may have to bite the bullet on Nurse’s buyout next offseason if they want to remain competitive. I don’t see them being able to afford paying McDrai 25-30m and Bouchard/Nurse 20m and stay afloat with how poor their overall player development has been. They very well may keep searching the market to sign vets on short term deals with the the promise of being competitive with that core. But they’re going to have to have 4 or 5 extremely active off seasons like this one and I don’t see Edmonton being enough of a destination to make that happen.

nonzerochance

May 16, 2016
As far as I can tell the “source” saying Friedman said that is some random f***ing twitter account:

The oilers very well may match the OS for Holloway, but this is pretty far from confirmation unless there’s another source of the quote…
As far as I can tell the “source” saying Friedman said that is some random f***ing twitter account:

The oilers very well may match the OS for Holloway, but this is pretty far from confirmation unless there’s another source of the quote…
Source for this was mentioned in that Tweet - the radio show on 630 CHED Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer, an Elliotte Friedman interview. It's from Aug. 15, Thursday.

If the embed doesn't work, there's this is the page for Oilers Now for anyone who wants to give it a listen.

Summary of stuff not covered on 32 Thoughts pod (as far as I recall):
-Broberg December trade request was heavily rumored, Elliotte thinks he can pretty much confirm it. Says Broberg was unhappy multiple times.
-Believes other teams were interested in OS or trade for Broberg.
-Holloway brought in later. Unsure about this but says Holloway had to be convinced to sign offer sheet.
-Thinks DA and Holland friendship played role, says these 2 OS would not get done if Holland was still GM.
-Blues tried to get Necas and are still determined to add to team after missing out on him and other things they tried.
-Holloway was offered 3 years at one point but salary offered was too low for player.
-Broberg was happy with StL OS because of opportunity to play on the left side.
-Thinks Oilers match Holloway. Pretty clear to me this is speculation. He has had convos that matching Broberg really throws Oilers out of whack. More risk to match. Also sounds like speculation.
-Thinks relationship can still change with Oilers and Broberg if he is matched. (Seems like trying to reassure or placate distressed or angry Oilers fans.)

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I remember the last two team deal where this forum went back and forth for a long time whether Steen or Colaiacovo was the real target of that trade. Later it was Shattenkirk or Stewart.

I really appreciate Doug making this part of the offseason so exciting.
I will admit to my 18 year old self being furious about that trade. I was so mad we traded Stempniak.

Whoops…

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The irony is the compensation picks are bigger returns than they got for their 2016 and 2017 1st round picks. Puljujarvi was traded for a guy who never touched NA ice, and Yamamoto was traded for future considerations.
I'm shaking my head right now. I would've liked to see McDrai win a Cup together, but that "organization" is not organized. What a mess!!!

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I think the most interesting part of the Friedman podcast is confirming at the 10 min mark that Armstrong was pissed about the current, identity-less state of the team heading into the offseason/draft and he’s nothing if not aggressive over the yrs at attempting to clean up his self-made f*** ups when opportunities present themselves. Hayes gone. Black Hole Krug was strong armed into an invented ankle injury to open an important spot…he’s likely played his last game as a Blue, god willing (I think Armstrong hates him at this point). Young guys with promise strategically targeted via offer sheets with our Cap flexibility. Couple that with some of the targeted depth FA signings and I think he’s been effective, while at the margins, at improving the team…especially if they land at least Broberg…all without sacrificing any important future piece.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I was listening to the Last Minute Blues Podcast while driving today and missed some of the discussion but it sounded like they were saying the Blues could reach out to Edmonton and offer them some players in return for them not matching? Is that something that could happen? Perunovich was specifically mentioned as he would likely be odd man out on defense and Oilers would have a hole on LHD with us getting Broberg.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I was listening to the Last Minute Blues Podcast while driving today and missed some of the discussion but it sounded like they were saying the Blues could reach out to Edmonton and offer them some players in return for them not matching? Is that something that could happen? Perunovich was specifically mentioned as he would likely be odd man out on defense and Oilers would have a hole on LHD with us getting Broberg.

I doubt I’d answer the phone if Army was calling. I’d have him blocked lol

Reactions: stlwahoo

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I doubt I’d answer the phone if Army was calling. I’d have him blocked lol
Easy solution, have Steen make the call to the Oilers, they wouldn’t think to block his number yet :naughty:

I guess it’s possible we could, but I don’t think Perunovich is anything of value to the Oilers, they’re probably better just to take our compensation picks without him.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
If i had to guess, I’d say we probably reached out to the oilers about these two players and they weren’t willing to trade for a reasonable price. They both had been getting jerked around a bit by Edmonton as far as money and playing time went. You gotta wonder what that front offices plan in the long run for them was.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think the most interesting part of the Friedman podcast is confirming at the 10 min mark that Armstrong was pissed about the current, identity-less state of the team heading into the offseason/draft and he’s nothing if not aggressive over the yrs at attempting to clean up his self-made f*** ups when opportunities present themselves. Hayes gone. Black Hole Krug was strong armed into an invented ankle injury to open an important spot…he’s likely played his last game as a Blue, god willing (I think Armstrong hates him at this point). Young guys with promise strategically targeted via offer sheets with our Cap flexibility. Couple that with some of the targeted depth FA signings and I think he’s been effective, while at the margins, at improving the team…especially if they land at least Broberg…all without sacrificing any important future piece.

I seriously doubt Army "hates" Krug. Krug doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he receives from the fans, but people are generally negative so... Defense is more a team responsibility so to put so much blame on one single guy is misguided. By all accounts Krug is a proud competitor and a well-liked teammate. Fans are the ones that get emotional about these things, not GMs or people who actually work in the industry.

However, it does kind of dispell the myth that Armstrong hasn't been doing anything to try and improve the team. Seems like some people actually believed he didn't have a plan and was just sitting in his office playing with his ball clacker thingy all summer.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I seriously doubt Army "hates" Krug. Krug doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he receives from the fans, but people are generally negative so... Defense is more a team responsibility so to put so much blame on one single guy is misguided. By all accounts Krug is a proud competitor and a well-liked teammate. Fans are the ones that get emotional about these things, not GMs or people who actually work in the industry.

However, it does kind of dispell the myth that Armstrong hasn't been doing anything to try and improve the team. Seems like some people actually believed he didn't have a plan and was just sitting in his office playing with his ball clacker thingy all summer.
I don’t think Army hates Krug. He seems a decent enough person that hating someone because he made a mistake doesn’t seem like something he would do.

Does he blame himself for making a blatant and unnecessary error in judgement by signing Krug? He should and I would guess he probably does given his efforts to rectify the issue.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Perunovich does nothing for the Oilers. Broberg being forced to play on the right side was reportedly one of the reasons why he was upset with the Oilers. They need another RD that's better than Troy Stecher if Broberg bolts.

I would wager there's zero chance the Oilers have any desire to deal with the Blues right now. Their asses are fully chapped.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think Army hates Krug. He seems a decent enough person that hating someone because he made a mistake doesn’t seem like something he would do.

Does he blame himself for making a blatant and unnecessary error in judgement by signing Krug? He should and I would guess he probably does given his efforts to rectify the issue.

I doubt GMs lament over past decisions as you're suggesting and I bet Army doesn't even consider it a "blatant and unnecessary error" as you put it. It's easy to criticize the move in hindsight but I guess it bears repeating that the Blues biggest hole at the time was a LHD and PPQB. Signing Krug made perfect sense at the time and simply sitting on his hands and doing nothing at that exact time would have been unrealistic. Of the available players at the time Krug made the most sense.

I look at roster moves like playing poker. There are times when you make the right move and still lose the hand. Everything is a risk and it's unrealistic to expect every gamble to work out in your favor. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't take the risk in the first place. Good poker players lose all the time, but the important thing is that you come out ahead in the long run.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I seriously doubt Army "hates" Krug. Krug doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he receives from the fans, but people are generally negative so... Defense is more a team responsibility so to put so much blame on one single guy is misguided. By all accounts Krug is a proud competitor and a well-liked teammate. Fans are the ones that get emotional about these things, not GMs or people who actually work in the industry..
OK, Mr. Semantics. Yes, Krug is a wonderful guy, a philanthropist, a wonderful father, husband and competitor. I'll be more literal...he "hates" the outcome of his decision and it's obvious ripple effects. And if you don't think he strongly dislikes Krug the player four years into his signing...well, he tried aggressively to move him last year and this year he's signaled the Krug era is over b/c his presence in the lineup is viewed THAT negatively by upper management.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
OK, Mr. Semantics. Yes, Krug is a wonderful guy, a philanthropist, a wonderful father, husband and competitor. I'll be more literal...he "hates" the outcome of his decision and it's obvious ripple effects. And if you don't think he strongly dislikes Krug the player four years into his signing...well, he tried aggressively to move him last year and this year he's signaled the Krug era is over b/c his presence in the lineup is viewed THAT negatively by upper management.

Still disagree. I really doubt GMs waste time looking back and lamenting past decisions for the reasons I said in my last post. A GMs job is to look for upgrades and try to improve the team, but they don't make it personal like some fans seem to. Is he disappointed that the Krug signing didn't work out better? I'm sure, but I've always maintained he hasn't been as bad as many fans make it seem.
Krug played pretty well his first two seasons here and I thought he was decent for stretches last year but once a guy reaches scapegoat status it's hard to push back against that.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I doubt GMs lament over past decisions as you're suggesting and I bet Army doesn't even consider it a "blatant and unnecessary error" as you put it. It's easy to criticize the move in hindsight but I guess it bears repeating that the Blues biggest hole at the time was a LHD and PPQB. Signing Krug made perfect sense at the time and simply sitting on his hands and doing nothing at that exact time would have been unrealistic. Of the available players at the time Krug made the most sense.

I look at roster moves like playing poker. There are times when you make the right move and still lose the hand. Everything is a risk and it's unrealistic to expect every gamble to work out in your favor. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't take the risk in the first place. Good poker players lose all the time, but the important thing is that you come out ahead in the long run.
1st it’s not hindsight. Many people said it was a bad move at the time. Time proved those assessments to be true. Saying it’s hindsight is a fallacy.

2nd it’s hard to believe I am reading things like “made perfect sense at the time” being said about the situation. In no way was that decision “perfect”. It was inherently flawed from the get go.

I get taking risks. But they should be well reasoned and help solve your problem, the key one being you lost your top flight, #1D. We tried to use two #3D (maybe you can argue one was a #2) to replace a #1. It’s a lot like removing a 6x6 post and replacing it with a 2x4 just because it’s laying around. Sure it may (or may not) hold temporarily, but it’s no true answer. It’s a band aid.

Did we have a need for a PPQB. I guess to an extent, but we had Dunn on the team who they could have elevated to a larger role on that front. And we did bring in Faulk who at the time and historically to that point was more an OFD though one could debate he was marginally a TWD.

So in the grand scheme of things, the biggest hole that we could not fill internally was being able to ice a player against top competition, with heavy minutes, and shut them down while also providing some offense on top of it. Krug was never remotely close to being that guy. Given the emerging composition of the defense, if the goal was to acquire low hanging fruit, then we would have been much better off to focus someone who brought more defensively even if it was at the expense of some offense.

Zooming further out, the better move would have been to seek out a replacement, top flight #1D, as that was really the only way we were going to have a real shot at contending, which continues to be the case 4 year later and counting.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
1st it’s not hindsight. Many people said it was a bad move at the time. Time proved those assessments to be true. Saying it’s hindsight is a fallacy.

2nd it’s hard to believe I am reading things like “made perfect sense at the time” being said about the situation. In no way was that decision “perfect”. It was inherently flawed from the get go.

I get taking risks. But they should be well reasoned and help solve your problem, the key one being you lost your top flight, #1D. We tried to use two #3D (maybe you can argue one was a #2) to replace a #1. It’s a lot like removing a 6x6 post and replacing it with a 2x4 just because it’s laying around. Sure it may (or may not) hold temporarily, but it’s no true answer. It’s a band aid.

Did we have a need for a PPQB. I guess to an extent, but we had Dunn on the team who they could have elevated to a larger role on that front. And we did bring in Faulk who at the time and historically to that point was more an OFD though one could debate he was marginally a TWD.

So in the grand scheme of things, the biggest hole that we could not fill internally was being able to ice a player against top competition, with heavy minutes, and shut them down while also providing some offense on top of it. Krug was never remotely close to being that guy. Given the emerging composition of the defense, if the goal was to acquire low hanging fruit, then we would have been much better off to focus someone who brought more defensively even if it was at the expense of some offense.

Zooming further out, the better move would have been to seek out a replacement, top flight #1D, as that was really the only way we were going to have a real shot at contending, which continues to be the case 4 year later and counting.

Agree to diasgree. Dunn was never good on the PP with us and I would argue he still isn't great at it (not sure how he managed 0 PP goals in 228 minutes of PP time two years ago). People hoping he was the answer were speculating rather than basing it on his actual play at the time. Krug wasn't low hanging fruit, he was seen as the 2nd best d-man on the market that summer and played a key role on a successful Boston team for many years.

But I'm not interested in arguing this further. The advantage that you have in making these statements is that we have no way of knowing how things would have turned out if we had done it your way. You assume we'd be much better off, but it's possible that's not the case. Unfortunately GMs have to operate based on the players who are available and more importantly who is willing to come to your team. I know every Blues fan wants that perfect 1D but it's easier said than done to find him. And no, Dunn isn't that guy either. He's still a flawed player making a lot of money. Would I rather switch out Dunn for Krug in retrospect? Of course, but I don't like playing the hindsight game. You win some, you lose some. Then again, I don't see Krug as much of a problem as most people around here. (In fairness, Krug pretty much matched the same feat of 0 PP goals this year. His PPQB ability has gone way downhill the past few years though injuries may be a big reason)

Last edited:

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
If we end up with Broberg, whats everyone's realistic expectations for him to grow into? A 2nd pairing Dman? I know the range out outcomes varies quite a bit, and not necessarily looking for what people think his ceiling could be, just if they were to bet, where would you expect him to land on the depth chart in 2 years from now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad