Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Good moves by Army to make offers for Broberg and Holloway. I don't mind giving up a 2nd for Broberg, and overpaying to make sure we get him. Although not yet living up to his #8 1st Round selection, he played well in last season's playoffs. The Oilers might well match our offer for Holloway's less than $3 million salary, but their being well over The Cap might make it hard for them to also match Broberg's almost $4.6 million , it'd be nice to get Holloway, too, but I'm a lot more interested in Broberg. He can skate, and should be able to build up to 205-210 lbs and get stronger, and maybe shore up the 2nd pairing playing with Faulk. Our forward roster is in better shape, and so, Holloway is less needed. But he'd be a decent 3rd liner, who could provide youth and better depth in case of injury. Overpaying in salary to pry Broberg away from The Oilers wouldn't be a problem, because The Blues not being able to ice a team that can really contend for The Cup, means they'll not need to worry about reaching The Cap limit.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I would be curious on the behind the scenes coordination with the agents to ensure everything was signed at the same time to put the most pressure on Edmonton.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Barring some teams helping them out by taking on Ceci and Kane, I think we’re for sure getting Broberg.

Getting Holloway too would be a total coup.

I do think Edmonton will wait the entire week to make a decision, but man I’m so ready to find out what they decide to do.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If you are team that has a player sign an offer sheet to go elsewhere, why would you want that player back? It seems like it could cause some animosity and dissension in the locker room.

• Wow
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I don't understand how anyone believes that $2M per for a 3rd line center is an overpayment.

Dey smokin da copium.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
It also doesn't matter in our situation. Both are overpaid, but we have the space, so who cares.
I mean, even if they are overpaid, it's 2-year deals. It's not like we're getting into Dubois, KK, Krug type lengths. We see how this season goes and it's one year deals. Even if it's a disaster for one or either, the cost of acquisition is the same as if they were a rental at the deadline. The draft pick cost is small, they may be overpaid but their cap hit isn't large, and the term is short. Some of us at the beginning of the off-season wanted to try and get Sean Monahan to solve our 2C problems on a shorter deal (like 3x5), before this off-season went spend crazy. Because even if it didn't work out, the downside was relatively small cap and term-wise with our cap siutation. The same can be said of these deals.

It's honestly below-average risk vs. medium reward across the board, 2ith the potential for Broberg to become a legit top 4 LD we need which would be high reward and it wouldn't cost us the arm and a leg everyone thought.

The only way this doesn't work for Broberg is if a team like ANA or SJ takes on Ceci and a bigger contract which we're talking probably the cost of multiple premium picks and still more than they'd want to pay for these players with the Oilers upcoming extensions down the road.

Really excited to see if we can nab Broberg. I think they match on Holloway, but that's fine if the OS on him ensures us Broberg. Great strategy by Army. Can't say enough good things about these moves.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Regardless of how this turns out for us, these offer sheets are basically a disaster for the Oil. These are their pretty much their only young skaters, and after developing them for years, they either lose one or both for minimal return right as they are on verge of becoming regulars, or they match and their cap gets even more messed up. Couldn't happen to a more deserving team.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
The Oilers are notorious for being bad at developing their drafted prospects. Why would it be surprising that these two aren’t setting the world on fire at this point in their careers?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He's 100% confident on Broberg, I'll be curious what happens with Holloway.
With the AAV for Broberg I feel like he was the target that we wanted to make sure we got. And then Holloway’s deal was to make it even harder for them to match. Feels like it’s inevitable that one do the two ends up here. And I can’t imagine them wanting to pay Broberg 4.6 per.

Reactions: Memento

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
With the AAV for Broberg I feel like he was the target that we wanted to make sure we got. And then Holloway’s deal was to make it even harder for them to match. Feels like it’s inevitable that one do the two ends up here. And I can’t imagine them wanting to pay Broberg 4.6 per.
We probably prioritized Broberg. But we could not go one penny higher on Holloway, unless we wanted to give him $5M and pay a first. We only have one 2nd round pick to give up. Any salary between $2,290,457 - $4,580,917 would trigger a 2nd round piick which was committed to Broberg. I don't think Holloway is as much of a ploy to get Broberg as people make him out to be. If Broberg said F you, I'm not signing an offer sheet, we still make that deal with Holloway.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I f***ing love this in every way.

Not only are we taking a swing at two talented young players who will only be twenty-three for the entire season and fit our long-range core; not only are we not paying many assets - let alone a first-round pick - to get those two players (two seconds - 2025/2026 and two thirds in 2025- and we're getting a long-shot fifth from Pittsburgh...hey, don't judge; Kessel was a fifth!); not only are we doing this to a team that is in cap hell for this year and next and can't retaliate (Neighbours and Hofer are tempting for Edmonton, but I bet Army does a bridge with both before they can clear enough space, and Edmonton still needs to potentially re-sign Draisaitl and Bouchard as well as fill out enough roster spots before they can poach players.), but we're utterly screwing over the single-most hated GM in the league in the process.

Again, I f***ing love this in every way, shape, and form, and I hope I'm not being greedy when I say that I want both Broberg and Holloway.

Last edited:

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
i wouldn't deal Dean for that, but personally i'd give them peru for free if they don't match.
It’d be hilarious if they don’t match to quickly see a “Oilers acquire Scott Perunovich (or Tyler Tucker, both?) for a 7th in 2025 or future considerations” headline.

It actually would make some sense as an add for them to have an open competition with the crap they’d have battling for the 7th D spot if they let Broberg go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad