Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Woah, I did not see this coming at all. I like this move by Army, very bold and honestly low risk with high reward potential. I am going to try to break this down piece by piece.

The contracts: Honestly given their NHL resume up to this point I feel as if both are slightly overpaid, especially Broberg. However, that was probably necessary to get them sign the offer sheets at all. We are paying for the potential not the results as of yet. Lastly, love that it is two year deals, that is the true genius of these offer sheets. Not only does it make Edmonton have to consider their cap situation this year but next year as well with the looming Draisaitl extension. It also gives the Blues two years to evaluate the potential additions and decide if we see them here long term.

Chance of match: I do think their is a solid chance that Edmonton matches the Holloway offer sheet and brings him back into the fold their, you just can't let a player like that slip away for a 3rd round pick. I would be shocked if they match Broberg, not because they want to let him go for a 2nd round pick but because it would royally f*** them going into the contract negotiations with Drai next summer.

The logjam: As has been pointed out the Blues have a massive logjam at the backend on the left side if this goes through. However, their is an equally big log jam at forward. If we get both guys you Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Schenn, Saad, Texier, Neighbours, Sunny (if healthy), Faksa, Holloway, Toropchenko, Joseph, Kapanen and Walker at the NHL and that is before you potential add a young guy like Bolduc, Dean, Dvorsky or Sylvegard. Meanwhile on defense you have Parayko, Faulk, Kessel, Leddy, Krug (if healthy), Suter, Broberg, Perunovich and Joseph (have to imagine Tucker goes to AHL). Is their another move on the horizon if we get both these guys.

Krug Situation: The Krug situation is a big factor here and I felt like the Blues found their insurance policy with bring in Suter. However, the fact that they are still going after another LHD tells me two things. First, the news about Krug has come back and its not good and they have very little faith in Perunovich to take that role. Maybe I am reading too much into this but it feels like the Blues are making moves that signal that Krug is done.

Retaliation: The single biggest reason why I think we don't see more offer sheets is the fear of retaliation. What makes this move particularly savage is that not only is Edmonton in cap hell this season but for the long term future as well. They likely won't have capspace to make a retaliatory hit. Even if they did with the cap continuing to go up the Blues aren't likely to be in danger with several high dollar UFAs expiring and our only two big RFAs coming up being Neighbours and Hofer.

TLDR version. This was a masterclass move by Army. Very low risk with potentially very high reward. Maybe Edmonton finds a way to somehow match both the juice here is definitely worth the squeeze.

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola
If Perunovich and Tucker are in your top 6, you're not a very good team. They can pick up bottom pairing minutes with a team like Columbus. We have much bigger problems to worry about. Perunovich isn't going to turn into Vince Dunn and I'm pretty sure we could bring Murray Baron out of retirement and he could perform at Tucker's level.
Reuniting with Murray Baron, now there's an idea! Wonder if the Flyers are in on him, too..

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
I love this move.

The Oilers might just have to bite the bullet on both of them and let the Blues take them.

Its not just about this year, they've got Leon and Bouchard next year and can't afford nearly 7mil a year for these 2.

Any trades they can legitimately make will probably require them to pay extra to move contracts so then they have less draft and/or prospect stock and then you're still back to paying them 7 mil next year which still doesn't work.

I love the big F U to Bowman no matter what happens.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Woah, I did not see this coming at all. I like this move by Army, very bold and honestly low risk with high reward potential. I am going to try to break this down piece by piece.

The contracts: Honestly given their NHL resume up to this point I feel as if both are slightly overpaid, especially Broberg. However, that was probably necessary to get them sign the offer sheets at all. We are paying for the potential not the results as of yet. Lastly, love that it is two year deals, that is the true genius of these offer sheets. Not only does it make Edmonton have to consider their cap situation this year but next year as well with the looming Draisaitl extension. It also gives the Blues two years to evaluate the potential additions and decide if we see them here long term.

Chance of match: I do think their is a solid chance that Edmonton matches the Holloway offer sheet and brings him back into the fold their, you just can't let a player like that slip away for a 3rd round pick. I would be shocked if they match Broberg, not because they want to let him go for a 2nd round pick but because it would royally f*** them going into the contract negotiations with Drai next summer.

The logjam: As has been pointed out the Blues have a massive logjam at the backend on the left side if this goes through. However, their is an equally big log jam at forward. If we get both guys you Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Schenn, Saad, Texier, Neighbours, Sunny (if healthy), Faksa, Holloway, Toropchenko, Joseph, Kapanen and Walker at the NHL and that is before you potential add a young guy like Bolduc, Dean, Dvorsky or Sylvegard. Meanwhile on defense you have Parayko, Faulk, Kessel, Leddy, Krug (if healthy), Suter, Broberg, Perunovich and Joseph (have to imagine Tucker goes to AHL). Is their another move on the horizon if we get both these guys.

Krug Situation: The Krug situation is a big factor here and I felt like the Blues found their insurance policy with bring in Suter. However, the fact that they are still going after another LHD tells me two things. First, the news about Krug has come back and its not good and they have very little faith in Perunovich to take that role. Maybe I am reading too much into this but it feels like the Blues are making moves that signal that Krug is done.

Retaliation: The single biggest reason why I think we don't see more offer sheets is the fear of retaliation. What makes this move particularly savage is that not only is Edmonton in cap hell this season but for the long term future as well. They likely won't have capspace to make a retaliatory hit. Even if they did with the cap continuing to go up the Blues aren't likely to be in danger with several high dollar UFAs expiring and our only two big RFAs coming up being Neighbours and Hofer.

TLDR version. This was a masterclass move by Army. Very low risk with potentially very high reward. Maybe Edmonton finds a way to somehow match both the juice here is definitely worth the squeeze.
Bouchard extension too, that's why I could see us actually landing both.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Quick note, retaliation doesn't necessarily have to come from Edmonton. It wouldn't be retaliation necessarily but another GM who may not have offer sheets our guys cause that is just not how things are done, may reconsider now.

I called it retaliation above, but I just meant opening ys up to other teams doing the same to us as we opened the door for it. Not a big worry, but still a consuderation.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Quick note, retaliation doesn't necessarily have to come from Edmonton. It wouldn't be retaliation necessarily but another GM who may not have offer sheets our guys cause that is just not how things are done, may reconsider now.

I called it retaliation above, but I just meant opening ys up to other teams doing the same to us as we opened the door for it. Not a big worry, but still a consuderation.

This is accurate and scary but the Blues are better positioned than most in coming years to handle potential offer sheets. Increased cap and expiring UFA contracts as our young players hit their 2nd contracts is going to give us some flexibility. Unless one of our young players explodes and becomes a 10 mil player I don't see us having many issues in the near future.

Reactions: Blueswin

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Oh man I just checked puckpedia and they added the offer sheet contracts to the Edmonton page making it seem like they were both matched? They know something we don't?

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
On a sidenote, and very small sample size, but Holloway did win 57.4% of his faceoffs this year.

I could see him on the 3rd line along with Schenn and Saad. I think both are good role models to help develop his game.

This also would further put the squeeze on Bolduc and Dvorsky making the team out of camp.

Reactions: The Electrician

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
2 young and upcoming players with size and speed. Am I greedy for wanting both?

Nope and honestly I think their is a real chance. Making them both 2 year deal was the brilliance of these deals. Handicap's the Oilers with huge extensions due next summer. Theoretically they could make it work this year with LTIR for Kane and some internal moves but they would be royally f***ed next summer.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Nope and honestly I think their is a real chance. Making them both 2 year deal was the brilliance of these deals. Handicap's the Oilers with huge extensions due next summer. Theoretically they could make it work this year with LTIR for Kane and some internal moves but they would be royally f***ed next summer.

Yeah, I see the 2 years and also getting them as a duo each being key elements that really put them under fire here.

Broberg, I agree with the consensus that they will have to take the L. They had him in the AHL almost the whole year. To go from that to 4M+, in a cap strapped environment….can’t see them doing that.

And then Holloway….I don’t know how they handle that but I think the 2 years screws them, but they likely had cheap labor modeled in with Broberg that they have to replace with something too. So, I think it’s kinda exponential for them as a problem to solve.

They might keep Holloway, but I am not so sure. They might use those picks to buy them time and figure out how to leverage them once more information becomes available to them. Deadline for cup push, or summer for cheap depth to make it work around the stars.

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
Edmonton thread on this is over 30 pages....mostly seems to veer between blaming the players for signing the sheets, and blaming some combination of Bowman, Armstrong and Dubas.
Also, it appears that STL is a bottom tier shit city with an awful hockey team that the Oilers are absolutely going to destroy next season......hmmm.

Oh, it's also Darnell Nurses fault.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I can't envision a scenario when they bring both players back without making it very difficult to retain both Draisaitl and Bouchard. Looking at PuckPedia, if they keep Broberg and Holloway, they've got about $18.5M available cap wise next season with only 16 players under contract and Draisaitl and Bouchard needing new deals. No way Draisaitl and Bouchard take less than $18M between the two of them and that's probably being conservative. No clue how the Oilers make this work for 2025-26.

With some moves you can kick the can down the road this season, but that's a VERY dangerous game when you need to sign two of your best players to long-term deals next offseason.

Are they willing to take that chance for two players that may cap out as a bottom pairing D-man and a bottom-6 FWD?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Edmonton thread on this is over 30 pages....mostly seems to veer between blaming the players for signing the sheets, and blaming some combination of Bowman, Armstrong and Dubas.
Also, it appears that STL is a bottom tier shit city with an awful hockey team that the Oilers are absolutely going to destroy next season......hmmm.

Oh, it's also Darnell Nurses fault.

We’ve been a top tier team for 15 years. We aren’t allowed to have a few year re-tool? Those people have short memories

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Getting a little ahead of myself here but why not.

Neighbours - Thomas - Kyrou
Buchnevich - Schenn - Saad
Holloway - Texier - Joseph
Toropchenko - Faksa - Sundqvist
Kapanen
Walker
Sylvegard

Leddy - Parayko
Broberg - Faulk
Joseph/Suter - Kessel
Perunovich

Reactions: Mike Liut