Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I am curious from some of those that very much preferred a tear down rebuild, and maybe this is better answered once we find out if Edmonton matches or not, but how does your opinion of the rebuild change with these moves?

I'd agree we still have the same risk of not being able to get a true #1 dman. Broberg did have a big season in the AHL, so I do think there is still real potential there, but he's no slam dunk. With Holloway, he doesn't transform our forwards, but we didn't really need that either, but he does add depth and upside. Maybe he can develop into a player like Saad is currently, but with more physical play. He's good speed, he likes to shoot, and should be able to fit on multiple lines if his production matches what he did in college or AHL.

Knowing that we will still try to be aggressive as opposed to being passively in the middle has to ease some of the concerns. Probably would've preferred a more aggressive sell to get better future assets, but this is still better than being passive and in the middle.

This is a great move given the path we chose. It still doesn't make it the right path. A lot, like a ton, has to still go right for this to move the needle at all.

We need a top pair D. Broberg is not that and it's doubtful he'll become that. I have more faith in Jiricek and Lindstein with Broberg as a stop gap til they are ready.

I'd rather have tanked, traded buchnevuch for a better D prospect and drafted top 5-10. But we aren't doing that, so this is good for what we are doing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Still now gives up 9 defensemen in the NHL

Colt
Leddy
Faulk
Sutter
Kessel
Broberg
Peru
Joseph
Tucker

Tucker hopefully is in the AHL but still leaves us with 8 even with Krug LTIR
Perunovich and Joseph are inconsequential IMO, same with Tucker. That's why I never really thought we had an issue, I don't see any of them as full-time NHLers in a top 6 moving forward. Tucker is probably a 7/8/9 that will bounce around. Perunovich will either be minors or Europe if he can't score more. POJ, not really sure, but he's somewhere between Tucker and Perunovich where he could fit a 2-way 7/8/9 role, but he could be minors/Europe too.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Edmonton board seems to think Broberg is 100% ours, and Holloway is kind of a tossup, some see a high chance of match, some see 50/50, and some think he is gone too.

I am curious if Edmonton knew this would knew, knew they wouldn't match and that's why they signed all those vets. They must've known that teams were talking to the agents in July.

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
Ltir for Kane won't work because his injury isn't longterm and they'd have to keep that space open. They can't trade Ceci to sign Holloway because they'd still need to sign 2 defensemen to replace Ceci and Broberg. Only thing they can do as far as I can tell is trade Ekholm.

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
I think the Holloway offer is ;at least in part, a move to put pressure on Bowman to the point that he almost has to give up Broberg. Holloway is a good get, but is not a need. Broberg looks to be a potential solid 2nd pairing D that can play the right side in a pinch, and he has the upside to be a bit more.
The question is "Are the Oilers really a team that can afford to give up assets to deal Ceci (or Kulak)?", because I don't really see someone taking either on for free, or giving a return considering EDMs position right now. EDM is kinda in a crap position with their salary cap, and heavy contract decisions looming.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And if Edmonton wants to dump salary to be able to sign these guys in a trade, other teams know they have no leverage, so they'll have to pay a premium for it.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
Ltir for Kane won't work because his injury isn't longterm and they'd have to keep that space open. They can't trade Ceci to sign Holloway because they'd still need to sign 2 defensemen to replace Ceci and Broberg. Only thing they can do as far as I can tell is trade Ekholm.
Ekholm trade would also weaken their D, though for only a year. It would also really weaken them for this year. The Oil really are over a barrel, pun intended

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
So if we get both, roster looks like this?

Neighbours-Thomas-Schenn/Buch
Bolduc-Buch/Schenn-Kyrou
Saad-Holloway-Joseph/Texier
Texier/Joseph-Faksa-Toropchenko
Kapanen, Walker

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg/Suter-Faulk
Suter/Broberg-Kessel
Joseph

Krug to LTIR, Sunny to IR, and Dvorsky to Springfield..unless he outplays Bolduc in camp.

Reactions: Majorityof1

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Is Holloway a Center? I thought he was a winger, but a center would be great
He was drafted as that, can't remember what he played after he was drafted in minors or NCAA, has been wing in NHL.

I'd say it's an option, but no guarantee. He has the attributes to do it though.

Holloway reminds me of Vancouver going after Backes.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
He was drafted as that, can't remember what he played after he was drafted in minors or NCAA, has been wing in NHL.

I'd say it's an option, but no guarantee. He has the attributes to do it though.

Holloway reminds me of Vancouver going after Backes.

He played 13% of his time at C last year. However, I’d assume that was mainly due to them having a ridiculous amount of center depth.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He played 13% of his time at C last year. However, I’d assume that was mainly due to them having a ridiculous amount of center depth.
And being on a contender, similar to how we were never comfortable giving Dunn the role that he is now excelling in. Holloway could very well break out at C here, if we get him.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Edmonton board seems to think Broberg is 100% ours, and Holloway is kind of a tossup, some see a high chance of match, some see 50/50, and some think he is gone too.

I am curious if Edmonton knew this would knew, knew they wouldn't match and that's why they signed all those vets. They must've known that teams were talking to the agents in July.

Oil fan coming in peace, was just curious to see what Blues fans felt about these moves.

I think there’s a really strong chance we match Holloway. The compensation in draft picks just isn’t enough to walk away, and the overpayment is minimal compared to upside.

With Broberg I think it’s a guarantee he’s yours, as it’s a considerable overpay (vs current resume) and the compensation of a 2nd is fair.

I think Broberg will be good and would prefer to keep him, but we just can’t make it work.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

What's the boards mood? Just curious and don't have a ton of time to read through. I'd be a bit miffed if it happened to us, even given the risk they don't pan out.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oil fan coming in peace, was just curious to see what Blues fans felt about these moves.

I think there’s a really strong chance we match Holloway. The compensation in draft picks just isn’t enough to walk away, and the overpayment is minimal compared to upside.

With Broberg I think it’s a guarantee he’s yours, as it’s a considerable overpay (vs current resume) and the compensation of a 2nd is fair.

I think Broberg will be good and would prefer to keep him, but we just can’t make it work.
Agreed, and that's what I expect too. Broberg I'd an overpay, but with short term a team like us can handle it, where a contender can't. His future extension will be based on what he does in St. Louis.

What's the boards mood? Just curious and don't have a ton of time to read through. I'd be a bit miffed if it happened to us, even given the risk they don't pan out.
Didn't read through much, some are definitely annoyed and upset, some probably knew it was coming.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Holloway is solid, but let's be real here this is about Broberg. If we can get him, then LD looks vastly different and no one bats an eye at the Hayes deal ever again. Very strategic move on Army's part. He has his critics, but the guy uses everything at his disposal and doesn't leave any rock unturned.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I hope the Blues get both guys. Well worth the risk.

Maybe Broberg plays with Faulk, pushes Suter to third pair. (or maybe even takes Leddy's place).

Perunovich, Tucker and Oliver are all JAGs (just a guy), nothing special. The crop of D-prospects are on the horizon now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad