Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
Semantics question.
So we needed our 2025 2nd back to make the offer on Broberg, but we sent our our 2025 3rd as part of that trade with Pit to re-aquired it.
Don't we need our 2025 3rd to place this offer sheet on Holloway?
Someone with a big brain enlighten me, don't know much about offer sheets.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Getting a little ahead of myself here but why not.

Neighbours - Thomas - Kyrou
Buchnevich - Schenn - Saad
Holloway - Texier - Joseph
Toropchenko - Faksa - Sundqvist
Kapanen
Walker
Sylvegard

Leddy - Parayko
Broberg - Faulk
Joseph/Suter - Kessel
Perunovich
I'll be pretty disappointed if we see neither Bolduc nor Dvorsky in the lineup this season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Kapanen
Walker
Sylvegard

Leddy - Parayko
Broberg - Faulk
Joseph/Suter - Kessel
Perunovich
And if Bolduc impresses, we can certainly make room for him by bumping Joseph to 4th while Sunny is out.

Semantics question.
So we needed our 2025 2nd back to make the offer on Broberg, but we sent our our 2025 3rd as part of that trade with Pit to re-aquired it.
Ottawa's 3rd to Pitt.

Reactions: LetsGoBooze

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Kapanen
Walker
Sylvegard

Leddy - Parayko
Broberg - Faulk
Joseph/Suter - Kessel
Perunovich
I wouldn't be surprised to see similar, but, I have a very hard time seeing Schenn as center next season. I'm expecting

Neighbours-Thomas-Schenn
Saad-Buch-Kyrou
Texier-Holloway/Dvo-Joseph
Toro-Faksa-Sunny
Kapanen/Walker
(If we get Holloway Dvo is in AHL, wouldn't be surprised if Walker is sent down as well)

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
Sutter-Kessel
Joseph

Binnington
Hofer

LTIR-Peru and Krug Just because history

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Semantics question.
We still have our original 3rd rounder from 2025. We traded Pittsburgh the Senators' 3rd rounder we received in the Mathieu Joseph trade.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I am curious from some of those that very much preferred a tear down rebuild, and maybe this is better answered once we find out if Edmonton matches or not, but how does your opinion of the rebuild change with these moves?

I'd agree we still have the same risk of not being able to get a true #1 dman. Broberg did have a big season in the AHL, so I do think there is still real potential there, but he's no slam dunk. With Holloway, he doesn't transform our forwards, but we didn't really need that either, but he does add depth and upside. Maybe he can develop into a player like Saad is currently, but with more physical play. He's good speed, he likes to shoot, and should be able to fit on multiple lines if his production matches what he did in college or AHL.

Knowing that we will still try to be aggressive as opposed to being passively in the middle has to ease some of the concerns. Probably would've preferred a more aggressive sell to get better future assets, but this is still better than being passive and in the middle.

I can give you my answer as I was definitely in the camp of tear it down. To be fair I didn't think the Blues had to tear it down like a Chicago. I simply wanted them to trade Buchnevich last offseason for another 1st + best possible package of futures.

The answer is we don't know. At this point we don't even know if either player will actually be on the Blues.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume both become Blues players. The answer is, we still don't know haha.

I think getting Holloway for a 3rd round pick is a clear win. If Broberg is a legit top 4 D, and the cost is a 2nd, it's also a clear win.

My answer is I would have still rather traded Buch for a 1st + last year.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have 7.4mil in Capspace BEFORE Krug gets shut down on LTIR? So even if we get both players we still have 6.5 mil+ as a buffer when Krug goes to LTiR?

Reactions: TurgPavs

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
Are either of the two players still RFA's after our 2 year deals, if we get them for our signed prices?

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Holy cow! Kinda fun to see our team in the news. Talk about out of nowhere!

This is a solid, calculated swing. Both players are really interesting, and it makes a ton of sense to go for both of them. Contractually, it's a slight overpay from what they've proven so far, but that's OK, as the term is short, and we're not seriously competing for a Cup in the next 24 months anyway. A wonderful low risk, high reward type move that's more exciting then Kapenen and Vrana.

Do I think Edmonton matches? Tough to say. I think they may, use Broberg/Holloway for this year then try to flip them a year from now - but that's a risky path, for a number of reasons. Obviously, one of them (Or both) could totally flop, cratering their value. The other thing though, is that they can't trade them for a calendar year (I think I'm correct on this) - which means that they couldn't trade either at the deadline next year OR until mid August, when most teams have already committed the majority of their cap dollars.

I'd really like to see us get both. I've been struggling to figure out who our 3C is this year, b/c I am firmly on the side of not rushing Dvorsky. I think Holloway could fill that gap, at least for next year. We see how he does and then we either keep him at 3C and shift Buch back to wing, or we move Holloway to wing and slot in Dvo as the 3C. Would be a great get.

Broberg is clearly more of a project. He's a big kid, a good skater, and has solid offensive instincts. Obviously we don't know what the future holds for him, but it's hard to think he's a finished product. I'm not worried at all about how many LHD we have on our roster, b/c the only two that I think are even solid NHL contributors are Leddy and Suter, and this is probably the last year for Suter in the league anyway, so if we need to use him as our 7th then so what. He's not in our future plans, but he's a good, "You must be this good to play in the NHL," measuring stick for our younger guys.

I love that Steen is turning us into Team Sweden. I also love that we're turning the screws on Stan Bowman. The amount of, Stan Bowman didn't consent to this memes have been making me happy enough if any other team had done it, but the fact that it was us makes it all the sweeter.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Chance of match: I do think their is a solid chance that Edmonton matches the Holloway offer sheet and brings him back into the fold their, you just can't let a player like that slip away for a 3rd round pick. I would be shocked if they match Broberg, not because they want to let him go for a 2nd round pick but because it would royally f*** them going into the contract negotiations with Drai next summer.

The logjam: As has been pointed out the Blues have a massive logjam at the backend on the left side if this goes through. However, their is an equally big log jam at forward. If we get both guys you Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Schenn, Saad, Texier, Neighbours, Sunny (if healthy), Faksa, Holloway, Toropchenko, Joseph, Kapanen and Walker at the NHL and that is before you potential add a young guy like Bolduc, Dean, Dvorsky or Sylvegard. Meanwhile on defense you have Parayko, Faulk, Kessel, Leddy, Krug (if healthy), Suter, Broberg, Perunovich and Joseph (have to imagine Tucker goes to AHL). Is their another move on the horizon if we get both these guys.

Krug Situation: The Krug situation is a big factor here and I felt like the Blues found their insurance policy with bring in Suter. However, the fact that they are still going after another LHD tells me two things. First, the news about Krug has come back and its not good and they have very little faith in Perunovich to take that role. Maybe I am reading too much into this but it feels like the Blues are making moves that signal that Krug is done.

Retaliation: The single biggest reason why I think we don't see more offer sheets is the fear of retaliation. What makes this move particularly savage is that not only is Edmonton in cap hell this season but for the long term future as well. They likely won't have capspace to make a retaliatory hit. Even if they did with the cap continuing to go up the Blues aren't likely to be in danger with several high dollar UFAs expiring and our only two big RFAs coming up being Neighbours and Hofer.

Plot twist: The Oilers match both, and Army signs Draisaitl as a UFA which was his real plan all along :naughty:

In all seriousness though, I think to your point on the logjam it will resolve itself, my feeling is that Krug may be LTIR to retirement, and if he can come back it would really Be with limited use. While I’d put us more likely in playoff position with this roster, there are names like Perunovich, Suter, Faksa, Kapanen, and I hate to say Sunny that I wouldn’t be surprised to see on the move at the deadline if they are performing well but the team is not looking bound for the playoffs, or in Perunovich’s case maybe for a low pick or another struggling AHL level prospect before the season.

Edit: I also think the Oilers do match Holloway’s offer which alleviates one logjam piece

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Army needs to lock Neighbors and Hofer up before next summer assuming they perform up to expectations. Oilers will be butthurt and looking for revenge.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Army needs to lock Neighbors and Hofer up before next summer assuming they perform up to expectations. Oilers will be butthurt and looking for revenge.
Even if they wanted to they are gonna have to worry more about their own players needing to be resigned with Bouchard and Drai needing new deals next year

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Oilers peeps are salty af. Luv it! Apparently, we will regret this next week.....errrr....next year.....errr in ten years.....

Many believe Holloway will bust out this season, which is what some of them believe is the reason he signed the OS, and is a fool for not staying with McDrai in order to boost his future earning potential.

Or!!!!! There is something else entirely driving his decision.

This is all about the Oilers' mismanagement of their roster and cap space and a rival GM taking advantage of their shit show.

Dats some brinkmanship. f*** Edmonton.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
This is a great move given the path we chose. It still doesn't make it the right path. A lot, like a ton, has to still go right for this to move the needle at all.

We need a top pair D. Broberg is not that and it's doubtful he'll become that. I have more faith in Jiricek and Lindstein with Broberg as a stop gap til they are ready.

I'd rather have tanked, traded buchnevuch for a better D prospect and drafted top 5-10. But we aren't doing that, so this is good for what we are doing.
This.

Also, extending a finger toward Bowman feels proper.

Reactions: BlueSeal

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If I’m Doug, I’m calling every team that might take a salary dump from EDM, and offering them a premium to take one or two of our guys instead. That freezes EDM from opening space to keep either Broberg or Holloway, and it also clears out some of the logjam we have at the bottom of our roster.

• Love
Reactions: Memento

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
If I’m Doug, I’m calling every team that might take a salary dump from EDM, and offering them a premium to take one or two of our guys instead. That freezes EDM from opening space to keep either Broberg or Holloway, and it also clears out some of the logjam we have at the bottom of our roster.
Love it! That is stone cold and I give no f***s if Army reams EDM again.

Reactions: Memento

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Good moves by Army to make offers for Broberg. I don't mind giving up a 2nd for Broberg, and overpaying to make sure we get him. The Oilers might well match our offer for Holloway, it'd be nice to get him, but I'm a lot more interested in Broberg. He can skate, and should be able to build up to 205-210 lbs and get stronger, and maybe shore up the 2nd pairing playing with Faulk. Our forward roster is in better shape, and so, Holloway is less needed. But he'd be a decent 3rd liner, who could provide better depth in case of injury. Overpaying in salary to pry Broberg away from The Oilers wouldn't be a problem, because The Blues not being able to ice a team that can really contend for The Cup, means they'll not need to worry about reaching The Cap limit. The Oilers, already being about $9 million over The Cap, might not be willing to trade off another key player just to "save" Broberg. Let's hope they won't match for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80 and Blueswin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad