Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
And seeing what Byfuglien is again doing in the playoffs (God help anyone in his path), there's no reason Parayko can't do exactly what he's seeing Buff do. A man of that size merely needs to exert his will upon his opponent, and there's not a damn thing they'll be able to do to stop him. Colt can be good, if not passive defenseman, or he can be an impact that teams have to game plan for, and be concerned about dealing with. Chara. Pronger. Byfuglien. Teams have their heads on a swivel every time those guys are/were on the ice. Blues need to challenge this guy to become the best version of himself that he could possibly be, but find the most effective way to deliver that message. Some guys need yelling and screaming from a coach, some guys need their manhoods questioned, some guys just need a good old fashioned wake-up call. If the Blues could unlock the potential trapped inside that chiseled Teddy Bear, they'd be contenders every damn year.

Colt's not a small guy, but Buff probably has more than 50 pounds on him and they carry their weight in drastically different ways. There is no amount of style/demeanor/attitude change in Parayko that would enable him to rag doll 2 NHLers at the same time like Buf did in game 2. He's listed at 260, but anyone with eyes knows that he isn't close to that number. He weighed 285 in 2011 according to his arrest report and there were rumors in 2013 that he was 300 pounds at the end of the season. Parayko could do more to exert his will, but he is not the physical specimen that Buff is.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yeah....Buff was easy 285 at one point. At Parayko’s biggest he’d maybe carry 235 well. But even then, he’s big enough and strong enough to punish guys with that 6’6” frame if he were inclined to do so. Chara and Pronger weren’t Buff sized either and we’re just as intimidating.
That dual-ragdoll was awesome. Lol

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Management isn't looking at trading Parayko. That's something that happens on forums like this. In response to the argument about Parayko being able to throw his weight around like Buyfuglien, that's never going to happen. Buff's a little shorter and much heavier. His center of gravity is at least 4 inches; probably a couple more inches lower.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Management isn't looking at trading Parayko. That's something that happens on forums like this. In response to the argument about Parayko being able to throw his weight around like Buyfuglien, that's never going to happen. Buff's a little shorter and much heavier. His center of gravity is at least 4 inches; probably a couple more inches lower.

I don't think management is 'looking' to trade Parayko, but I also don't think he's completely off the table. Kind of like how Nashville almost certainly wasn't looking to trade Weber or Seth Jones, but was willing to include them in the right deals. I don't think Parayko is available for anything less than someone who our front office feels is an elite (or borderline elite) level player with as much or more team control than Parayko has. I think the odds of us trading Parayko are incredibly slim, but he would be the piece likely included in a true blockbuster.

warrior67

Jul 16, 2016
hockey purgatory
"In what is already the second-longest post-season run of his 12-year career, Stastny is averaging 1.13 points per game. He’s a team-best plus-9, he’s winning 52.4% of his draws, he’s scored two game-winners, his underlying numbers are overwhelmingly positive, and, on a club that wonderfully rides with an edge, Stastny has stayed out of the box." - Why Paul Stastny was the smartest trade deadline pickup - Sportsnet.ca

If we (most likely) miss out on Tavares and don't trade for a C, would you be happy with signing Stastny back on a low term contract?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
"In what is already the second-longest post-season run of his 12-year career, Stastny is averaging 1.13 points per game. He’s a team-best plus-9, he’s winning 52.4% of his draws, he’s scored two game-winners, his underlying numbers are overwhelmingly positive, and, on a club that wonderfully rides with an edge, Stastny has stayed out of the box." - Why Paul Stastny was the smartest trade deadline pickup - Sportsnet.ca

If we (most likely) miss out on Tavares and don't trade for a C, would you be happy with signing Stastny back on a low term contract?

He's not the fit here like he is in Winnipeg. I'm ready to move on and would prefer to explore other options.

Reactions: BlueDream

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I'm guessing Stastny is a no go from Army's perspective otherwise he would have signed him before he had to like he did with several others.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I would welcome Stastny back is the money and term was right.

I'm curious what kind of contract folks would be comfortable offering Hutton. We all know how well he played last year, but he is 32 and who knows if/how long he can keep it up...

Would folks offer Hutton a $5M 2 year (2.5 AAV) contract? Would Hutton be looking for longer term or higher AAV? Would other teams around the league offer more?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I wouldn’t hate bringing Stastny back. He could be our 2C until Thomas takes over. He also missed his buddy Fabbri this year, and you’d likely stick Tage or a RHS draft day acquisition on the other side of him.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Trade/Prospect
Steen-Thomas-Berglund
Barbashev-Brodziak-Soshnikov
Jaskin

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm guessing Stastny is a no go from Army's perspective otherwise he would have signed him before he had to like he did with several others.

I disagree. I think Army would be fine with bringing Stasnty back, but not at the expense of taking the Blues out of the running for Tavares. Extending him mid-season would have taken us out of the running of a race that we are realistically in (as much as any team other than the Isles is in). Assuming you lose that race, the math on Stastny changes and I can't imagine Stastny will sign before Tavares sets the UFA center market and leaves several teams looking to overpay their backup plan.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I disagree. I think Army would be fine with bringing Stasnty back, but not at the expense of taking the Blues out of the running for Tavares. Extending him mid-season would have taken us out of the running of a race that we are realistically in (as much as any team other than the Isles is in). Assuming you lose that race, the math on Stastny changes and I can't imagine Stastny will sign before Tavares sets the UFA center market and leaves several teams looking to overpay their backup plan.

Realistically what do you think Stastny signs for and term? He’s 32 now and turning 33 in December. Stastny is only getting one more lucrative contract. Are the Blues really going to commit 5 or 6 years to Stastny? I don’t see it happening.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Some team will offer him a contract that will take us out of the running. I'd love to have him back, but not the price he is going to demand; especially after the sweetheart contract he's already been given here.

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015

THIS ^^^

Look at the center market. After Tavares, Stastny is probably top center available. Thornton is on there, but I doubt he leaves the Sharks. That leaves Stastny, Bozak, Plekanec, and Fillpula as top C available on FA.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Sweetheart deal? He made $7 Mil.
Do you think 7 mil was worth his production? You can't go by today's going rates. Even by today's rates his production never quite added up. It wasn't a detriment to the team, but he got a sweetheart deal. We needed a center and that is what we paid. He seems to fit very well in Winnipeg. I doubt he comes back.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Do you think 7 mil was worth his production? You can't go by today's going rates. Even by today's rates his production never quite added up. It wasn't a detriment to the team, but he got a sweetheart deal. We needed a center and that is what we paid. He seems to fit very well in Winnipeg. I doubt he comes back.

I misinterpreted your post. I thought you meant 7 mil was too low and he gave the team a good deal. If we could get him for 3/15...I’d be okay with that. Much better than bringing in Bozak imo. Also, Winnipeg can’t afford him with the players they have to pay this offseason. Pure rental.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I misinterpreted your post. I thought you meant 7 mil was too low and he gave the team a good deal. If we could get him for 3/15...I’d be okay with that. Much better than bringing in Bozak imo. Also, Winnipeg can’t afford him with the players they have to pay this offseason. Pure rental.
I've not looked at Winnipeg's cap situation. He is doing very well there. Someone is going to pay stastny, and I bet he gets at least 4 years. I'd love to get him back for a couple of years, but his term will be the problem.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

They could fit him in this summer, but it's next summer that would create the issue. The only way I see him staying in Winnipeg is if he is willing to take a fairly lucrative 1 year deal to chase a Cup and bet on himself to put up a 60 point season and maintain/raise his value. I doubt that happens since he'll get lucrative multi-year offers, but that's really the only way they could make it wrok with Laine, Wheeler, Myers and Connor all due big raises next summer.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
They could fit him in this summer, but it's next summer that would create the issue. The only way I see him staying in Winnipeg is if he is willing to take a fairly lucrative 1 year deal to chase a Cup and bet on himself to put up a 60 point season and maintain/raise his value. I doubt that happens since he'll get lucrative multi-year offers, but that's really the only way they could make it wrok with Laine, Wheeler, Myers and Connor all due big raises next summer.
For a guy that has been hurt as much as he has the three seasons before this one, I can't imagine he would pass up a 3-4 year deal and take a one year deal even at his current AAV just for another bite at the apple with that team. He'd be leaving at least $10M-$15M on the table, maybe more if someone throws stupid money at him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
For a guy that has been hurt as much as he has the three seasons before this one, I can't imagine he would pass up a 3-4 year deal and take a one year deal even at his current AAV just for another bite at the apple with that team. He'd be leaving at least $10M-$15M on the table, maybe more if someone throws stupid money at him.

Agreed. But if they wind up making the FInal and losing in 6, I could see him leaving a lot of money on the table to chase a Cup. I'm not sure how many true contenders will be offering him 4 years at market value AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad