Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I know that we are all super pumped about our prospects after WJC, but is it time to start worrying about Dean? He has had what can charitably be called a rough start to his pro career. and I'm not sure we understand how awful it's going. He's been really bad and getting worse.

I am just stat watching, but he 0 points, 6 pims, and is -7 in his last 8 games in Springfield. He has 1 point since 12/1, a total of 15 games. His last assist was November 15. I don't want to panic and write him off, he is still young and talented and has plenty of time to figure it out, but his pro career is clearly off to a far worse start than we were expecting. He looks to be far, far closer to getting sent to ECHL than called up to NHL. Something to keep an eye on.
I usually get my head bitten off, but the Q just seems to have a longer learning and growth curve than the OHL or WHL. The game is just slower, players smaller, but rougher and more open play.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I know that we are all super pumped about our prospects after WJC, but is it time to start worrying about Dean? He has had what can charitably be called a rough start to his pro career. and I'm not sure we understand how awful it's going. He's been really bad and getting worse.

I am just stat watching, but he 0 points, 6 pims, and is -7 in his last 8 games in Springfield. He has 1 point since 12/1, a total of 15 games. His last assist was November 15. I don't want to panic and write him off, he is still young and talented and has plenty of time to figure it out, but his pro career is clearly off to a far worse start than we were expecting. He looks to be far, far closer to getting sent to ECHL than called up to NHL. Something to keep an eye on.
It's been less than 40 games for a player who projects as a defense first forward.

No. Not every player is going to have immediate success jumping from Juniors to Pro.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This may be semantics but when it comes to Dean, I’d use the word concerned not worried. I’m concerned but not worried yet. I definitely thought he’d transition to the pros better though. I haven’t been watching T-Birds games so I have really no insight as to why he’s struggling. What part(s) of his game aren’t up to speed? IDK. But he’s also by far the worst +/- player on the team too so clearly he’s struggling. I would agree with Blueston that perhaps a trip to the ECHL might be best at this point.

I don’t see this as an indictment on the entirely of the QMJHL though. Dean isn’t doing as well as I expected but Bolduc and Gaudet are pretty much what I expected from them this season (I’m not high on Gaudet as his gaps are bad). Other guys have transitioned from the Q to AHL just fine - Josh Roy, Riley Kidney, Nathan Gaucher…Tristan Luneau made the Ducks. The difference? These guys are just better prospects than our 3.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
We have had a mostly good year for prospects so far, but I think there are some cautionary tales. Dvo hasn’t been what I hoped in many ways. He has overall been soild with some bumps. No concerns or worries, but where I was thinking he would be a sure fire upper end #2 C at the draft, now I could see a future where he falls down a line.

Dean is much more concerning and also surprising. Others have provided the critique, so I won’t pile on. But, I am less concerned because with some of our other prospects shining this year, the fact that we added two very high end forward prospects (possibly three) this year and Dean is slated as 3rd line upside…him stumbling is less dire concern than it would have been a year ago. On top of all of that, you can find third liners pretty easily with some combination of lower than 1st round picks, via trades and in the annual FA pool.

Reactions: Brian39

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We have had a mostly good year for prospects so far, but I think there are some cautionary tales. Dvo hasn’t been what I hoped in many ways. He has overall been soild with some bumps. No concerns or worries, but where I was thinking he would be a sure fire upper end #2 C at the draft, now I could see a future where he falls down a line.

Dean is much more concerning and also surprising. Others have provided the critique, so I won’t pile on. But, I am less concerned because with some of our other prospects shining this year, the fact that we added two very high end forward prospects (possibly three) this year and Dean is slated as 3rd line upside…him stumbling is less dire concern than it would have been a year ago. On top of all of that, you can find third liners pretty easily with some combination of lower than 1st round picks, via trades and in the annual FA pool.
none of us have clear crystal balls at all times. for me, dvo this year shows me he is a bit further away than i thought, but i haven't lowered my ultimate projection (potential 1c). not saying i am right, but look forward to finding out!

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Are we basing our disappointment in Dean from his lack of point production? How’s his defensive game? Is he playing a 200’ game? Is he being physical? Sometimes points just don’t come, but your overall game is good. Barbashev didn’t always put up points, but he was very noticeable on the ice.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Are we basing our disappointment in Dean from his lack of point production? How’s his defensive game? Is he playing a 200’ game? Is he being physical? Sometimes points just don’t come, but your overall game is good. Barbashev didn’t always put up points, but he was very noticeable on the ice.

Last year, his line was not an offensive juggernaut until they added wings via trade and then line took off and was dominant. He may be more like Nieghbors in that he can produce, but has to have others on the line that create the chance.

He was very much a defense first guy.

Reactions: Mike Liut

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Last year, his line was not an offensive juggernaut until they added wings via trade and then line took off and was dominant. He may be more like Nieghbors in that he can produce, but has to have others on the line that create the chance.

He was very much a defense first guy.
Neighbours seems to have an ability to create offense without superb skill alongside him. He created and drove the play that led to Schenn's goal on Tuesday against Florida. I'm not saying he's going to be confused with prime Demitra, but the kid has more puck skills than we thought, and that's probably because he works his ass off fine tuning his game.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Neighbours seems to have an ability to create offense without superb skill alongside him. He created and drove the play that led to Schenn's goal on Tuesday against Florida. I'm not saying he's going to be confused with prime Demitra, but the kid has more puck skills than we thought, and that's probably because he works his ass off fine tuning his game.
He has 8 career assists in 92 games. Obviously he's young and in the learning the league stage of his career, but a playmaker he is not.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He has 8 career assists in 92 games. Obviously he's young and in the learning the league stage of his career, but a playmaker he is not.
agreed. and since he is far more likely to pick up garbage goals than score from distance, he doesn’t even get shot assists. But if he can be on line with playdriver he can pick up loose pucks, get rebounds and deflections, and add jam to line with guys that are more jelly.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
agreed. and since he is far more likely to pick up garbage goals than score from distance, he doesn’t even get shot assists. But if he can be on line with playdriver he can pick up loose pucks, get rebounds and deflections, and add jam to line with guys that are more jelly.
I think he creates for his teammates in different ways than his passing, his work on the boards, his hustle to eliminate time for the opposing D, and his ability to be a PITA in front of the net creates opportunities for others on the ice with him

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
none of us have clear crystal balls at all times. for me, dvo this year shows me he is a bit further away than i thought, but i haven't lowered my ultimate projection (potential 1c). not saying i am right, but look forward to finding out!
I still think his ceiling is a #1C, but I thought he floor would roughly be a #2. Given this year, I could see #3 as a higher probability then I thought at the draft.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Agreed. But good hockey players are able use their strengths to overcome flaws and weaknesses. There's perhaps no better example of that in the history of the game than Joe Pavelski. And while distributor may not be an accurate way to describe Jake's game, it's what he does with his game that will lead to opportunities for his linemates to cash in on.

I surely don't think we'll ever see the number 50 in the 'A' column under his personal stats upon a season's completion, but that won't diminish the fact his ability to posses the puck and create space isn't a factor in creating offense. Plus he's a rink rat that loves the intricacies of the game that will only to continue to improve. I hope he's sporting a blue note for a long time to come.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think he creates for his teammates in different ways than his passing, his work on the boards, his hustle to eliminate time for the opposing D, and his ability to be a PITA in front of the net creates opportunities for others on the ice with him
100%. thank you for more eloquently saying what i was trying to get at!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I have a much harder time articulating my reasons for liking Jake's game than I do with most prospects. So much of my impressions about him sound like the old scouts in Money Ball or the ESPN football analysts who emphasize how a guy that they like is just a dude out there. I so often come away from my Neighbours viewings with a general gut feeling that he just looks like a guy who is going to have a long NHL career. I can also point to tangible skills that impress me, but they are still outweighed by the general feeling that he is going to have a good, long career.

Last edited:

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I have a much harder time articulating my reasons for liking Jake's game than I do with most prospects. So much of my impressions about him sound like the old scouts in Money Ball or the ESPN football analysts who emphasize how a guy that they like is just a dude out there. I so often come away from my Neighbours viewings with a general gut feeling that he just looks like a guy who is going to have a long NHL career. I can also point to tangible skills that impress me, but they are still outweighed by the general feeling that he is going to have a good, long career.
The more I watch him the more names like Dallas Drake and Darcy Tucker come to mind as a comp for what he brings. Both guys who carved out nice long careers. Somewhat surprising given their style of play.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
An issue with Neighbours and something that somewhat concerns me when the other young guys come up, Schenn, Saad, Kapanen, Vrana, Hayes, etc. have not been good enough in the middle 6 for the young guys to be productive with. You can't reasonably expect Neighbours to be the one driving the production on those lines at this point, and Schenn clearly isn't doing it either.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
An issue with Neighbours and something that somewhat concerns me when the other young guys come up, Schenn, Saad, Kapanen, Vrana, Hayes, etc. have not been good enough in the middle 6 for the young guys to be productive with. You can't reasonably expect Neighbours to be the one driving the production on those lines at this point, and Schenn clearly isn't doing it either.
Driving the play consistently is one thing, but All 3 zones has him with 0 high danger passes this year. That's not even being a contributor.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Agreed. But good hockey players are able use their strengths to overcome flaws and weaknesses. There's perhaps no better example of that in the history of the game than Joe Pavelski. And while distributor may not be an accurate way to describe Jake's game, it's what he does with his game that will lead to opportunities for his linemates to cash in on.

I surely don't think we'll ever see the number 50 in the 'A' column under his personal stats upon a season's completion, but that won't diminish the fact his ability to posses the puck and create space isn't a factor in creating offense. Plus he's a rink rat that loves the intricacies of the game that will only to continue to improve. I hope he's sporting a blue note for a long time to come.
I was actually trying to think this morning if Pavs would be a good comparison to Neighbors or if Morrow would be better.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Driving the play consistently is one thing, but All 3 zones has him with 0 high danger passes this year. That's not even being a contributor.
I'm not making the argument that Neighbours is driving the play or a playmaker like others have, it's more the issue that we need more than Thomas as an offensive catalyst, especially as guys like Snuggerud, Stenberg, and Dvorsky come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad