Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
With the amount of young top end forward depth we have, I wouldn’t be surprised if Army packages our 1st + for a top LD. I’d even look into adding Bolduc and Dean into the package.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Kinda want to see Dvorsky with Kyrou.
Neighbours-Thomas-Snuggles
Stenberg-Dvorsky-Kyrou
I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing to see all these future line combinations without Bolduc and Dean when they were all over these type of posts last year. I guess it's a little bit of both? xD

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
does Snuggs play a 200 ft game like Dvo and Pakarcik?
That's kind of the point. What he does will mesh with what they do. Pekarcik will get the puck and can dish it. Dvorsky in support is either a shooter or passer. Snuggerud can finish off of both of them or dish it back. Defensively, they can make up for Snuggerud as he improves.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
That's kind of the point. What he does will mesh with what they do. Pekarcik will get the puck and can dish it. Dvorsky in support is either a shooter or passer. Snuggerud can finish off of both of them or dish it back. Defensively, they can make up for Snuggerud as he improves.

I wasn’t saying he didn’t, I’ve just only seen his scoring highlights. I was just curious

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Based on what you intially stated, I thought you said limited vieiwing in the CHL. So based on that it sure sounds like highlights.

I didn't know nor did you state you had watched him overseas. So clearly you have seen him more then I have and I apologize for jumping on you. Did you see him play at all this year, or just the 2022 - 2023?
Have only seen some OHL highlights and pieces of a couple WJC games this year

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I absolutely think that Snuggerud signs and plays with the Blues at the end of the season.

I'd be curious if there is a prospect expert out there to compare Snuggs shot to some others at same development point. Guys like Tarasenko or Matthews.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I absolutely think that Snuggerud signs and plays with the Blues at the end of the season.

I'd be curious if there is a prospect expert out there to compare Snuggs shot to some others at same development point. Guys like Tarasenko or Matthews.

No expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

But really. I don’t see how there are many wrist shots out there that are better after watching his compilation of this weekend.

This is all mainly through traffic with guys in tight from some distance.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

Not necessarily what you're asking for but another prospect. I've watched Dylan Guenther the last couple of games for the Coyotes and came away thinking he reminded me so much of what I've seen the last few weeks from Snuggerud.

Great shot, good at creating space for himself to fire with a lightning quick release.

He's going to be a good one for the Yotes and is providing a glimpse of what we could see Snuggy doing for us next season, or perhaps even this season.

Reactions: LGB

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
EP did WJC wrapup and gave lots of love to Blues kids. This stood out to me:

"Dalibor Dvorský was Slovakia's best player almost every time he took the ice, finishing with six points in five contests as they bowed out to Finland in the quarterfinals with a tightly contested 3-2 overtime loss. It's not the gaudy scoring we've become accustomed to seeing from Dvorský in a Slovak uniform, but he was doing everything else at a high level for his team in a gruelling matchup role. I spent most of my time in the group stages at the Frölundaborg, watching Group B, and he was always impressive."

link to article at What we learned at the 2024 World Junior Hockey Championship

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
EP did WJC wrapup and gave lots of love to Blues kids. This stood out to me:

"Dalibor Dvorský was Slovakia's best player almost every time he took the ice, finishing with six points in five contests as they bowed out to Finland in the quarterfinals with a tightly contested 3-2 overtime loss. It's not the gaudy scoring we've become accustomed to seeing from Dvorský in a Slovak uniform, but he was doing everything else at a high level for his team in a gruelling matchup role. I spent most of my time in the group stages at the Frölundaborg, watching Group B, and he was always impressive."

link to article at What we learned at the 2024 World Junior Hockey Championship
I couldn't understand the 'disappointment' talk after the WJC from some pundits. That to me screamed stat watching.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I need to stop reading the CapFriendly Scouting Reports for some of our Prospects. The new Theo Lindstein one is giving me a bit too much hope.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I need to stop reading the CapFriendly Scouting Reports for some of our Prospects. The new Theo Lindstein one is giving me a bit too much hope.
It’s nice they’ve bumped him up from a 2nd pairing projection to a 1st pairing projection but 1. we have no idea who’s writing these or their qualifications and 2. the latest report mentions his performance at the WJC but says the position he played was RD. Hard to trust a scouting report when the writer didn’t notice he 100% played the left side, not the right.

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It’s nice they’ve bumped him up from a 2nd pairing projection to a 1st pairing projection but 1. we have no idea who’s writing these or their qualifications and 2. the latest report mentions his performance at the WJC but says the position he played was RD. Hard to trust a scouting report when the writer didn’t notice he 100% played the left side, not the right.
Yeah, I’m not real impressed with quality of those reports either. Think you and some of the other guys here could do better job.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I know that we are all super pumped about our prospects after WJC, but is it time to start worrying about Dean? He has had what can charitably be called a rough start to his pro career. and I'm not sure we understand how awful it's going. He's been really bad and getting worse.

I am just stat watching, but he 0 points, 6 pims, and is -7 in his last 8 games in Springfield. He has 1 point since 12/1, a total of 15 games. His last assist was November 15. I don't want to panic and write him off, he is still young and talented and has plenty of time to figure it out, but his pro career is clearly off to a far worse start than we were expecting. He looks to be far, far closer to getting sent to ECHL than called up to NHL. Something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I know that we are all super pumped about our prospects after WJC, but is it time to start worrying about Dean? He has had what can charitably be called a rough start to his pro career. and I'm not sure we understand how awful it's going. He's been really bad and getting worse.

I am just stat watching, but he 0 points, 6 pims, and is -7 in his last 8 games in Springfield. He has 1 point since 12/1, a total of 15 games. His last assist was November 15. I don't want to panic and write him off, he is still young and talented and has plenty of time to figure it out, but his pro career is clearly off to a far worse start than we were expecting. He looks to be far, far closer to getting sent to ECHL than called up to NHL. Something to keep an eye on.
Maybe they should call up Dickinson and send Dean down. He may need to get his confidence back playing in a lower league. Dickinson has been putting up some points in the ECHL so far.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Maybe they should call up Dickinson and send Dean down. He may need to get his confidence back playing in a lower league. Dickinson has been putting up some points in the ECHL so far.
my sense- and i could be wrong bc this is based on little more than a hunch- is that dickinson will spend the bulk of this year in echl. he missed a LOT of time with his injury andthat can really hinder prospect's development. i think they want him getting lots of ice time in echl, where he can produce and build confidence, rather than promote him to ahl where he will likely struggle. next season (or maybe even last portion of this one) he will get chance to see how he stacks up in ahl.

that said, sending dean down may ultimately be what needs to happen to get him going. As you said, i can't imagine scoring 1 points in 6 weeks is good for his confidence.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

Yeah even though it's early in his pro career the god awful production is a very bad sign. Wonder what's going wrong with him I was high on him and saw him as a guy who had a game that would translate well to the pro level.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yeah even though it's early in his pro career the god awful production is a very bad sign. Wonder what's going wrong with him I was high on him and saw him as a guy who had a game that would translate well to the pro level.
yes, i did too. and i liked what i saw from him in camp/preseason, but that can be misleading as kids are going a lot harder than vets. i think big part of issue is q just wasn't that good last couple years, like much worse than we thought since q teams have won bulk of Memorial Cups recently. So maybe top teams are good, but beyond that nothing. they are apparently feasting on lots of guys who need to be focusing on getting their degrees when they finish up in q bc they ain't got a future in hockey.

if this is true, and i think it is, it means not just that everyone's stats got inflated but also that ahl is much bigger jump than they and we realized. we had 3 guys graduate from q this year and all have had much, much harder go of it than anticipated- dean has been bad, bolduc has been fair, and gaudet has been stuck in echl almost all season.

for dean specifically, challenge is now, who is he? what skills does he have that can form the basis of nhl career. he has pro size and everyone said he plays a pro-style game, but it's much harder to actually play a pro-style game when you are playing actual pros than when you are playing guys who will be selling insurance or used cars or whatever in couple years bc they have no hope of future playing the game. dean does, but he obviously has lots more work to do if he wants this to actually be early in his pro career. much more than we thought. not ruling him out, but i don't think that i would include him in our top 10 prospect list at this point.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018

If he were requested as a piece in a trade to aquire a RHD with solid 2nd pair upside, which is what I was hoping for when we dealt Barbie to begin with, I wouldn't be upset.. I know Neighbours isn't a center, but his emergence has at least solidified a portion of the long term outlook of our bottom six, though I still believe he may end up surprising a lot of people and become a perennial 45-55 point second line LW. I like Dean's potential and don't believe he should be dealt solely because he's struggling, but with the assets we'll add to our pipeline in June and likely before, I'd be confident in finding that 3rd line center on another branch of the Barbie trade tree if we decided to move Dean for something our scouts are excited about.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad