Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
You're talking about Pekarcik with his September 12, 2005 birthday.

Dvorsky was born June 15, 2005. Still a later birthday in the draft eligibility window, given the Sept 15, 2005 birthdate cutoff - but not the youngest player in the class.

I think that Pekarcik would probably climbs into the 2nd round if he'd been born a week later, and was first time draft eligible this year instead. Not exactly remarkable at the WJC from the scoresheet, but very effective on the forecheck for Slovakia, coupled with good USHL numbers this season (tied for 20th in USHL scoring with 18gp 5g-22-27p, everyone ahead of him in scoring has played 25-33 games) (Jake Sondreal leads the USHL with 31gp 15g-25-40p in his second year in the league).
It's important to note as well that Pekarcik is close to lead league in points with nearly 10 games less than everyone else. Whether or not he's tallying up assists because of older linemates is moot, he's still putting up points. The fact he was a solid contributor on Slovakia paints the picture that his play in the USHL is not a fluke.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
It's not the end all be all, but we can't just ignore them. Players have patterns they use to find success and a lot of those patterns do not work at higher levels against stronger and faster players. Confidence is one thing, but Dvorsky has dominated junior levels and struggled at professional levels. I wish we could put him in the NCAA because I'm concerned at how the transition to the AHL will be for him since that's league that's just as good as the SHL with harder nosed players.
So then Dean is a flop?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I’m being facetious as calling Dvorsky a flop not playing well on a crap team. Give Dean 2 years and maybe a trip down to the Solar Bears. He will be fine. Just got to realize what he can and can’t do at this level and let his skills takeover.
I don’t think anyone is calling Dvo a flop. He has only proven capable of junior level competition…so far.

Critiquing a players performance doesn’t mean we have given up hope or think they are destined for disappointment. It just means they have more to learn, develop or improve upon.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It's not the end all be all, but we can't just ignore them. Players have patterns they use to find success and a lot of those patterns do not work at higher levels against stronger and faster players. Confidence is one thing, but Dvorsky has dominated junior levels and struggled at professional levels. I wish we could put him in the NCAA because I'm concerned at how the transition to the AHL will be for him since that's league that's just as good as the SHL with harder nosed players.
I don't think the bolded is fair. He had terrible experience in SHL this season. That was partly due to circumstances of team, but also partly on him. However, he was good last year at 2nd highest Swedish pro league (where Lindstein is now). He didn't necessarily dominate there like he did at juniors where he was a beast, but his numbers as a 17 year old were strong when viewed in historical context.

I am not worried that the A will be too much for him, because that will be a supportive environmnet with a club committed to his success (as opposed to this year's shl club). he may not put up huge numbers there, but i think that is next logical step. i don't see something like college hockey as beneficial step for him next year. it might have been better option THIS year if it had been possible, but time for him to learn to play NA game against men so that he can learn to excel at it.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm nowhere near concerned about Dvorsky's Allsvenskan stats or play at 17 years old.

Dvorsky. .368 Points Per Game
Filip Forsberg .395 points per game
Elias Pettersson .360 points per game
Jesper Bratt .354 points per game

This puts Dvorsky firmly in 10th spot in the history of Allsvenskan in points per game for a 17 year old. It's not easy being a teenager who is still growing playing against fully matured men who have been athletes for years.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I'm nowhere near concerned about Dvorsky's Allsvenskan stats or play at 17 years old.

This puts Dvorsky firmly in 10th spot in the history of Allsvenskan in points per game for a 17 year old. It's not easy being a teenager who is still growing playing against fully matured men who have been athletes for years.
Nuggets like this is why this is my favorite fan forum.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I think that Pekarcik would probably climbs into the 2nd round if he'd been born a week later, and was first time draft eligible this year instead. Not exactly remarkable at the WJC from the scoresheet, but very effective on the forecheck for Slovakia, coupled with good USHL numbers this season (tied for 20th in USHL scoring with 18gp 5g-22-27p, everyone ahead of him in scoring has played 25-33 games) (Jake Sondreal leads the USHL with 31gp 15g-25-40p in his second year in the league).

It's important to note as well that Pekarcik is close to lead league in points with nearly 10 games less than everyone else. Whether or not he's tallying up assists because of older linemates is moot, he's still putting up points. The fact he was a solid contributor on Slovakia paints the picture that his play in the USHL is not a fluke.

I'm confused by your comment? It just strikes me as odd to reiterate that first line if you'd read my whole post - where the 3rd paragraph specifically outlines the games played, standing in the USHL scoring and emphasized the 7-15 less games Pekarcik has played compared to the people he's tied with or behind in league scoring. It brings up points I wasn't aware were of concern, and rehashes what I'd perhaps less eloquently stated without really adding anything?

Interesting to bring up the nature of his scoring, because I haven't seen criticisms of his assist rate on the board previously. I think that can be chalked up to his effectiveness in board battles and forechecking using his speed - I seem to recall some major discussion around his ability to execute with speed (or maybe it was his inability to think the game while carrying the puck at high speeds) in his prospect camp with us, leading to low goal scoring totals. There's likely also a component of him deferring to other older players as one of the younger players on his team.

Was able to dig up some historic season scoring totals by player age for context, as the USHL scoring trends may be unfamiliar to many in comparison to CHL or NCAA numbers (I wasn't particularly familar with them either).

Note, this is the whole season (up to 64 games total).
16 year olds with over 26 points in a season - 69 players, highest scorer Celebrini 50gp 46-40-86p
17 year olds with over 26 points in a season - 283 players, highest scorer Cammarata 59gp 38-55-93p
Pekarcik started the season at 17, turning 18 days into it - 18gp 5-22-27p
18 year olds with over 26 points in a season - 697 players, highest scorer Roy 59gp 54-50-104p

Those numbers aren't historic, but when taken in context they're going to be pretty impressive if he picks up his scoring as the season continues, given how few games he's currently played while being quite young (league is for ages 16-21).

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Thanks for this, genuinely didn't know

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Thanks for this, genuinely didn't know
I mean compared to W. Nylander and Pasta's .771 and .667 he completely pales in comparison.

Another notable player is OEL who was at .436 who at one time was considered a top defenseman in the league.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Sounds very much like they want to get Snuggy into the NHL ASAP. He giggled at the thought of Thomas feeding him.
nod.gif

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Didn’t I mention Gunnarson a few days as a Lindstein comp? Army said the same thing today.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Didn’t I mention Gunnarson a few days as a Lindstein comp? Army said the same thing today.
He said he use to. But his skating and passing is better than he originally thought.

He scores from so far out so consistently. That release is insane. He would be an immediate improvement on the left wall of our PP right now.
Just the thought of Thomas, Kyrou, Krug, Perunovich, Buchy, or Faulk feeding him passes for the one timer at the end of this season has me giddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad