Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
In the future, I would be more clear about wanting information. There's no real indication in your post letting us know that's what you want. Something like: "Never heard of him. Can someone fill me in?"

Help us help you. :thumbu:

im halfway through the book called, “the proper etiquette when posting on hockey forums”. I should be better in the future when I compete it. I’m still learning.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Never heard of him
He showed as much offensive flair as anyone at prospect camp apart from Dvorsky. Floated a bit too much for me, but he certainly looks like someone who could contribute in the top 9. He has that gift of creativity that keeps defensemen uneasy with what he may do. He does need to add some 200 ft to his game, if he ever wants to stick though... Nice late draft choice. High risk. High reward guy.

Reactions: mk80 and Mike Liut

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He showed as much offensive flair as anyone at prospect camp apart from Dvorsky. Floated a bit too much for me, but he certainly looks like someone who could contribute in the top 9. He has that gift of creativity that keeps defensemen uneasy with what he may do. He does need to add some 200 ft to his game, if he ever wants to stick though... Nice late draft choice. High risk. High reward guy.
Like taking Russian guys late because no timetable to sign them. You take Canadian guy late have short window to sign him. Russians you can wait and watch.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Like taking Russian guys late because no timetable to sign them. You take Canadian guy late have short window to sign him. Russians you can wait and watch.
Nikita Susuyev (our seventh round Russian pick last year) has more offensive flair than Vorobyov (was rated as a third round talent), but he's signed to his Russian team until 25/26 (the reason why he fell along with his lack of a 200 foot game). Someone to watch, though.

Reactions: ezcreepin

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Some players find another level whenever they don their nation's colors. Few prospects in recent years have done so quite like Stenberg (thescore:///nhl/players/13835).
As captain at the 2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, he scored five goals and nine points in five games. He also matched Sweden's record with seven goals and 16 points at the 2023 Under-18s, again as team captain.
And yet, between those remarkable performances, Stenberg has been good but not great in the Swedish men's and junior leagues. That's why he was available for the St. Louis Blues at 25th overall in June's draft.
The tournament hosts have numerous high-end threats up front and on the back end. Sweden doesn't need Stenberg to be a dominant threat as he's been in the past for his country to contend for a gold medal.
But if Stenberg finds that next level as he's done so often with the Tre Kronor on his chest, Sweden will transform into a potential juggernaut with a well-rounded group on
defense and a deep forward core.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Nikita Susuyev (our seventh round Russian pick last year) has more offensive flair than Vorobyov (was rated as a third round talent), but he's signed to his Russian team until 25/26 (the reason why he fell along with his lack of a 200 foot game). Someone to watch, though.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the performance of our Russian prospects. A little pissed that Koromyslov has been relegated to the VHL after playing 29 games in the KHL as a 19 year old, but I'm sure they have their reasons. I know Vorobyov is 21, but to be on an awful team both in games won and points for players, he's scored at an ok clip. He's eclipsed by a 20 year old on the team (only 2 points more in 9 more games) but the guy was a 4th rounder as opposed to the flyer we took on him in the 7th. Susuyev is only 18, but the scouting report doesn't look great on him. I'll be interested to see how he develops in the next 2-3 years, see if he starts to process the game a bit quicker and finish off his flashy plays.

Some players find another level whenever they don their nation's colors. Few prospects in recent years have done so quite like Stenberg (thescore:///nhl/players/13835).
As captain at the 2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, he scored five goals and nine points in five games. He also matched Sweden's record with seven goals and 16 points at the 2023 Under-18s, again as team captain.
And yet, between those remarkable performances, Stenberg has been good but not great in the Swedish men's and junior leagues. That's why he was available for the St. Louis Blues at 25th overall in June's draft.
The tournament hosts have numerous high-end threats up front and on the back end. Sweden doesn't need Stenberg to be a dominant threat as he's been in the past for his country to contend for a gold medal.
But if Stenberg finds that next level as he's done so often with the Tre Kronor on his chest, Sweden will transform into a potential juggernaut with a well-rounded group on
defense and a deep forward core.
I hopeful Stenberg will find that level during the WJ, but during his regular season play in the SHL I think we need to keep in perspective his performance. There are only 3 players ahead of him that are in his age group: ASP, David Edstrom, and Anton Wahlberg. Currently , Stenberg has played 22 games and averages 12:22/game (6 points). ASP is averaging 18:45/game (13 points), Edstrom 13:02 (10 points on same team as Stenberg), and Wahlberg 16:14/game (7 points). I can't say what these kids games are like besides ASP who is an offensive defenseman, but I'm guessing Stenberg is sort of relegated as a checking forward because of his tenacity and good 2-way play. I think he's doing perfectly fine right now and may overtake the other two forwards when it's all said and done.

I'll be much more interested to see what he does next year in whatever league he's in, but if he captains Sweden during the WJ again, I'm not going to have a single worry about him right now. All this to say that you're right, if he finds that next gear, this Sweden team is going to be REALLY hard to beat.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Two of Canada’s d-men got injured and were replaced…and Buchinger still didn’t make the team. Canada brought 10 d-men to their selection camp and just added assumingly guys 8 and 9. So Buchinger must’ve been pretty unimpressive in camp. Here’s what Scott Wheeler had to say about him:
Not what I'd like to hear about him. I hope it's just temporary and not due to deficiencies in his basic skills and abilities. The turnovers could be due to jitters, playing on the international stage. But, I wouldn't want to hear that he was unimpressive in camp. Let's hope things will click for him soon.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Not what I'd like to hear about him. I hope it's just temporary and not due to deficiencies in his basic skills and abilities. The turnovers could be due to jitters, playing on the international stage. But, I wouldn't want to hear that he was unimpressive in camp. Let's hope things will click for him soon.
There was no int’l stage. Just internal scrimmages. His D simply isn’t very good and he’s a bit lacking in size. He’s got some useful skills but is a bit of a boom or bust prospect IMO.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Nice write up but Finland doesn’t need a miracle to advance. Pretty much all they need to do is beat Latvia on Friday. Only gets interesting if Latvia beats Germany and there’s a 3-way tie on who goes to the Relegation Round.

Finland is likely to finish 4th in Group A now though and thus play the winners of Group B, which should be the US.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Nice write up but Finland doesn’t need a miracle to advance. Pretty much all they need to do is beat Latvia on Friday. Only gets interesting if Latvia beats Germany and there’s a 3-way tie on who goes to the Relegation Round.

Finland is likely to finish 4th in Group A now though and thus play the winners of Group B, which should be the US.
I thought the top 2 teams got a bye in the first round of knockout games. Did they change the format?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
T-Bird highlights

From there, it was Zherenko's turn to slam the door, which he did in denying all 13 third-period shot attempts from the Wolf Pack. With the victory, the second-year goalie's remarkable run has now reached an incredible 6-0-1 record in his last seven starts, allowing only 12 goals in those seven games.
Not that I wish anyone to get hurt on the Blues roster, but I would like to see a couple of games from Zherenko this year. I think he's one of the most underrated draft choices we've had maybe ever if he turns into a legit #1. Even if he's a 1A/1B with Hofer in the future, spending a 7th on some random kid from Russia is ridiculous.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not that I wish anyone to get hurt on the Blues roster, but I would like to see a couple of games from Zherenko this year. I think he's one of the most underrated draft choices we've had maybe ever if he turns into a legit #1. Even if he's a 1A/1B with Hofer in the future, spending a 7th on some random kid from Russia is ridiculous.
I have liked Zherenko but sort of wrote him off because Hofer was ahead of him and I was not sure he would get enough opportunity to develop to his potential. But I am reconsidering that assessment.

Reactions: HighNote

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Hoping the same with Vorobyov lol

Reactions: ezcreepin

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So, was that really Suraj? Or was that a high level troll blowing up the forum with some sweet necros and accusations of racism like 7 years later?

I can't stop chuckling at all these now-frozen threads. I realize I've been too hard on Ranksu.

I had to go back and look, because I honestly thought I must have dreamed this. LOL! This forum!

Reactions: 542365

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So, was that really Suraj? Or was that a high level troll blowing up the forum with some sweet necros and accusations of racism like 7 years later?

I can't stop chuckling at all these now-frozen threads. I realize I've been too hard on Ranksu.

I had to go back and look, because I honestly thought I must have dreamed this. LOL! This forum!
Not sure but I feel like the more energy directed that way the more fuel that is added to the fire. The question I have is “Do we want that fire burning”?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

To be fair to this Suraj dude, there was an off hand comment about him being of Indian descent which had nothing to do with the topic at all. Someone mentioned all of the random players in the NHL who have weird, unrecognizable names that hardly have anything said about them, but a writer has a weird name and now its time to bring up his ancestry. Idk, I don't think it's enough to claim racism, but it is kinda weird to bring it up.

Besides that, the trolling and "I told you so" attitude is goofy and cringe. I couldn't care less if he predicted Binnington to be one of the top prospects, the fact is his missed on nearly every other prospect not all but including Edmundson, Blais, Parayko, Carrier, and Walman. I wasn't as involved in learning about the prospects back then, but I do remember being pretty bullish on Blais and despite what his career has been, he's played over 200 games, scored over 20 goals, and put up 71 points. That's value in the 6th round. I think the hivemind here has gotten much better at evaluating our own prospects, but sure, let him have the Binnington win.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokenFace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad